“Functional and fine” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa 400

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casa 400 to your Saves list
Hotel Casa 400
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #54 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Functional and fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

A modern hotel with an interesting glass atrium, conveniently located near Amstel station. Clean room, comfy bed and a plentiful, tasty breakfast. I particularly liked the French toast and good coffee. However, the evening meal in the bar was disappointing. So, satisfactory in a functional sort of way.

1,060 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose this hotel for just one reason. It is close to the Amstel Railway Station. Please don’t choose this if you want to stay near to Amsterdam Centraal.

The main sights in the city are quite a way away - so you will need to use the nearby tram to get into the city centre. Or take the train. In fact, you might prefer to be ‘out of town’ a little way - and in that case this hotel would be a sensible option.

We booked our stay with Expedia so we got a good rate and we also got given an “Elite Guest Exclusive” from Expedia ... we were told by the website to print off a voucher. The reception at the Casa 400 was welcoming and efficient. After being given our key card and some useful information, I enquired about what I would get with my voucher. The receptionist said, “A slightly bigger bed, a boiler in your room to make water (I presume she meant a kettle) and some goodies left for you.”

The room was on the 7th floor - via a secure lift. The whole place looked very clean and efficient. The lift was prompt and reliable. The room was very pleasant. A big comfortable king-sized bed. Leather-look head board and clean and tidy furnishings. The shower room was clean and very respectable. The view from the window looked out onto a tidy courtyard.

We had a meal in the restaurant - situated on the ground floor. A lunch was expensive - we had soup and a sandwich - 27 euros. But it was delicious and very efficiently served by a pleasant waitress. However, we could not afford dinner at the Casa 400 - you would need to budget at least 50 euros for the dinner menu.

We also went for a drink in the bar on the first floor. I asked the barman at the bar for 2 bottles of beer. I could see the bottles that I wanted in the fridge. He spent a while searching in the kitchens or outback and then started hunting around near the spirits. I kept shouting to him “There... in the cooler.” Eventually he looked over at me and followed my directions. By now he seemed to have got himself annoyed over the search, so he pulled out the two bottles rather assertively. He went to open the first bottle - but he seemed to be a bit over-zealous with it. So he wrenched the cap off, and the beer spumed over the top - half the drink was lost. This made him seem even more annoyed - but he managed to calm down by answering the phone and dealing with another customer. It took about 10 minutes to get my drink!

We stayed at this hotel again - just days later - and although I had been given an Expedia ‘upgrade’ voucher once more for this second stay - I decided to see whether it made any difference if I didn’t mention it when I checked in. We got almost the same room as before (it was adjacent - on the same floor) and it also had goodies in it, a large bed and a boiler!

We would definitely stay here again - especially if we were going to the Amstel area. It’s good, clean, efficient and busy. But don’t try eating or drinking here!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views - but all are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Iasi, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Plenty of noise at check-in because of the road works around the hotel; the nice reception staff changed our room into a more quiet one.There were some problems with the temperature in the room, the system didn't work properly and we were always cold; we asked the room maid but she couldn't help us more; pillows were really bad. Bathroom was clean, the shower had not enough pression and the size of towels is small.Breakfast - average.Even if they have a good restaurant, they don't have room service at all (!). Far away from Amsterdam, even if you have a Metro stop in the neighbourhood. Nice helping staff at the reception and good ecological behaviour..

Room Tip: Rooms looking in inner yard are quiet..
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

A modern hotel in a nice quiet area, where is close to a main metro/railway station (Amstel). It only takes around 10 minutes to get to the Centraal Station in the heart of Amsterdam. Stayed for three nights. The room was neat and clean. Hotel staff were efficient and helpful. It was really nice and pleasant experience. Highly recommended.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at Casa 400 for a conference, and I found that it was very well suited for the purpose. It was clean, spacious, and comfortable (with the exception of the pillows). The bathroom is modern and has a terrific shower. I found the room temperature a bit too cool for my taste (the thermostat doesn't really do much at all), but the staff were very kind and even offered to bring me a space heater if I wanted it.

The location is very close to Amstel station, which is good for public transport links. For someone coming as a tourist, the hotel is a bit of a way out of the city centre, but it is accessible by bus/tram/metro - just take note of the changes due to metro construction works going on at the moment.

There are few restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk, unfortunately. The three recommended by the reception were all quite expensive. I ate at the hotel's restaurant (Circles) one night, and while it was on the pricey side, at least the food was nice. Again, if you don't plan on hanging around by the hotel all day, it's not really an issue, as there are plenty of other restaurants in Amsterdam!

Overall, I was pleased with my stay at Casa 400, and would stay again if I have a similar function in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

It's a bit far away from the centre, but public transportation do work in Amsterdam and you avoid the outrageous city center prices. This large hotel tries to create a modernist-minimalist atmosphere, and is normally frequented by conference crews. The staff is always smiling and helpful. One problem is that it is hard to get real food after 10 p.m., which is however a common problem in the Netherlands except in the large international hotels

Ras Tanura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

From the time we booked this hotel we had excellent service. I had questions before arrival and the response was quick and very professional. We arrived in Amsterdam by 7am, a room was ready for us and we were allowed to check in immediately. Much appreciated after an overnight flight. All staff was very friendly and efficient. Our room was sparse but comfortable. The bathroom/shower is a good size. Everything seems very new and modern. We would happily have spent our entire trip in this area. The hotel is not in the center of Amsterdam but still a great location. You have very easy access to the heart of the city by train, bike (can be rented from hotel) or even on foot. We enjoyed walking along the Amstel to town. We were also walking distance to lots of markets, parks and cafes outside of the busy tourist area. I would highly recommend this hotel especially if you have visited Amsterdam before, it gives you a whole new perspective on the city. For first timers this hotel will allow you to see a different Amsterdam from most tourists.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Casa 400? Share your experiences!