“Excellent hotel with great travel connections” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa 400

You added Hotel Casa 400 to your Saves list
Hotel Casa 400
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eerste Ringdijkstraat 4, 1097BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #54 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cheshire
“Excellent hotel with great travel connections”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed for a week in the hotel Casa 400 in September. The chosen location was due to visiting our daughter who is studying at at the nearby Hogeschool Van Amsterdam. We were pleasantly surprised at the spacious room and modern large bathroom. There was free wifi and a fridge in the room that was very handy to store our own drinks. There was no tea or cofee making facilities in the room, but having read previous reviews saying this, I had brought my own travel kettle. The building work next door was a little annoying, however this is no fault of the hotel and our room was situated away from the noise so did not affect us. The air conditioning did not work at all, so I would worry if this was any better in the summer months! There is a free safe in the room, that is very handy for any valuables.The room was cleaned daily, although I would put anything away in the wardrobe, as you possibly risk it being thrown away otherwise!
The beds were king size and very comfy.
The local area has not got a lot of places to eat, but we did try lunch at the Dauphine which was lovely and very reasonable in price; however the evening menu was a little expensive.
The travel connections from nearby Amstel station are great having trains, metro & buses. We used number 50/51/52/54 metro to central station and tram 12 to the museum area. Arriving from Shipol we bought a train ticket for £2.50 each to amsterdam zuid then got the no 53 metro to amstel station costing aprox 2 euros. The hotel airport shuttle is 16 euros each if required.
Due to us planning to visit amsterdam another time in the next year, we travelled using a ov chipcard that we bought at a bookstore behind tourist info at Shipol airport.This was not available at the tourist info office. It was blue and white colour and it was already loaded with £10 euros and cost us £17.50 each card. It can be easily loaded with euro notes and can last up to 5 years.Its like a Oyster card in London. In hindsight the cost of travelling probably worked out the same as getting a 7 day tourist travel pass, as were using it most days. We also hired a bike for 8.50 euros per day at a bike shop under Amstel station. We were able to leave the bike overnight at the safe underground car park of the hotel.There are bikes for hire at the hotel for £13 euros a day.Travelling in the centre was a little hairy so I would probably not reccommend this, but a bike is perfect for the less busy areas.Its amazing how far you can travel in a short space of time.
If you have the time, I would reccommend travelling by train to Harlem which is a beautiful medieval town.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the building work.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a night, just needed a place for a night before moving in to my student's apartment which was practically next door. I always find the staff very nice and helpful. Booked a double room and liked it a lot as it was spacy and very clean. Liked the interior of the room. Just that it can be a bit noisy if your room is on the side facing the construction site, but didn't notice much of this noise as we got up really early. The hotel is located 2-3 mins from Amstel station, where you can catch a train or the metro. And the tram station is as well just 2-3 minutes. The hotel is also excellent for conferences. In addition there is a quite good restaurant in the hotel.

Great value for your money!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Guwahati, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is excellent for those who wants a quite stay. its great price and a great location. Only three minutes walk to Amstel Amsterdam station.
There was some construction going in and around the hotel which was annoying but the management cant be blamed for that. Electricity supply to my room was snapped and it was restored in minutes. It had a tea facility and was great help to me. internet connection was good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

After having been ripped off at the IBIS CENTER AMSTERDAM, this hotel was incredible! Great price, big clean rooms, close to center, and each and every member of the staff was just amazing! smiling, helpful, polite, such an opposite experience to the IBIS CENTER and for a third of the price... i highly reccomend this hotel and will definetly visit again..

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights,from 9/12 to 9/6/12.
it is a very modern,clean ,well presented hotel.
The room was nicely decorated,spacious and very clean and had air conditioner, refrigerator and a kettle. And since breakfast was included in our stay it was a big plus.
The reception staff spoken excellent English and were extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
I would like to mention the night staff that took care of us on the day of the arrival and male employee that worked 9/4 12 during the day that gave us the directions to Zaanse Schans.Thank you very much!
The hotel was located outside of central Amsterdam, but was only a few minutes walk from Amstel Station, which was then only about 10 minutes metro ride to Amsterdam Central Station and all the main sights of Amsterdam.
The hotel also had a secure parking lot which was a big plus too.
We really enjoyed staying in the Casa 400 Hotel and would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This review would have been quite a good one had it not been for the tendency of the house maids to get their hands on guests' properties; and the staff completely unhelpful and rude.
The hotel is nice, good rooms, new furniture, the mattress was excellent. The buffet breakfast complete and quite a selection to choose from.
We were stolen two vials of bespoke perfume from the inside of a bagpack, two vials that were inside their storage envelopes and inside a ziplock transparent bag, inside a bagpack.
After leaving the room Saturday morning, when arriving back bags and shoes had been placed inside the closet and SURPRISE two 5 ml each vials with a bespoke perfume from Floris Perfumers in London (250 GBP for 100 ml) were missing from inside one of the bagpacks.
I travel all over the world and I have left in the room every kind of things on the desks when leaving in the morning, from cash to ipods and more; and I have never seen any of these things, visible when arriving to the room, dissapear.

Of course, after searching for these vials, it was reported to the hotel staff during the check out on Sunday. I was said they would ask and let me know about the answer when arriving back to pick up my bags.

One would at least expect an apology and the duty manager to have a word, but not in this hotel, where I was treated as if I were making it up and dismissed with no apology and with no word from any duty manager.

My advice, do not go to this hotel, do not book it and if you do so, do not leave even a shoelace in it.

What was due to have been a nice experience and a very good review turned out to be a complete disaster and a very angry customer who recommends potential customers of this hotel to check the Mercure and other ones that are just one metro stop away and have an international reputation for treating their customers as customers an as their only revenue generator. Casa 400 must live in a different reality, as they treat customers as robbers and protect the robbers they have inside.

A disgraceful experience and there is NOTHING this hotel can do to make me change my mind. After the way customers are treated, this hotel is in my black list.

By the way, a sum of more than 300 EUR was spent in this hotel for just 2 nights. Quite a way to treat a customer who spends such an amount of money in just two nights.

So, my review has a very clear conclusion DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL, they will literally rob you and then treat you as if you were the burglar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelCasa400, Manager at Hotel Casa 400, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Roberto M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor, I am happy to see you were satisfied with your stay besides the most concerning issue of your missing parfume. Although, I am shocked to read you feel our hotel staff treated you as a burglar yourself, I believe this should never be the intention of Casa 400.
For that, I offer you my sincere apologies. Please be informed, we will follow upon the reported complain and please contact me in person, to share more details through b.egbring@casa400.nl.

Once again, please understand this is something we can learn from in the way we treat our customers.

Thank you and hope to be in touch soon!
Kind regards,
Bernadine Egbring
Rooms Division Manager Hotel Casa 400
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed in the Casa 400 for 4 nights for a sight-seeing break. We purposely chose the hotel based on the fact it was slightly out of the city centre and was a good alternative to staying in a hostel. Although the hotel is not located in the centre its close proximity to Amstel station was great for getting quickly to all the tourist hotspots.

The reception staff where really friendly and spoke excellent English, they even offered to hold our bags in a luggage room ( free of charge) while we spent our last day exploring the city (we had a late flight that evening). We never had dealings with the bar/restaurant staff as we didnt book to have meals included and so ate while we where out.

Granted our double room wasn't huge but a fair size in comparison to other hotels, especially in Amsterdam. It was also nice to have the option of a non-smoking hotel in an area famous for its weed-smoking tourists. The only thing that I didnt like about the room was the shower, as it left the floor extremely slippy and even though it was quite small the floor seemed to take forever to dry!

All in all I would recommend Hotel Casa 400 for couples or friends looking for a base to explore Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Casa 400? Share your experiences!