“Great hotel, fantastic staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Hotel

Save Saved
You added Avenue Hotel to your Saves list
Avenue Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 33, 1012 RD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #180 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
“Great hotel, fantastic staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed in the Avenue on recommendation in October. The hotel is in a great location, close to Dam square. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfy.
The best thing about the hotel is the staff. I had a very bad expereince as I has my bag stolen with my passport which meant I had to stay an extra night and go the Embassy ! Long story but the staff in the hotel where amazing. They helped me with everything I needed and told me where to go etc. I have nothing more than good things to say about the hotel and would definalty recommend the Avenue. I will be returning myself in March :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

781 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Makati, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is located on the corner of Neuwezids Vourgwal and Sint Jacobstraat. Exterior and Lobby presentable, but as soon as you get in the cramped lift, all goues down south. The rooms are small and the ceilings low. We even found on the balcony ledge trash from the room's previous occupant. Carpet was threadbare and smells moldy. We were billeted on the 3rd floor, the hallway floor had a hole on the floor covered with carpet, so threat lightly or you may find your foot stuck in the hole. watercloset inside the room was so so, and the drain on the sink wouldnt work properly. The only good quality of this hotel is the buffet breakfast.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

It is alright hotel, very central located, room was nice, but not all rooms are good, some of them are smaller then others. My very good impression and stay in the hotel made a receptionist Marine. Thank you very much for your help Marine, truly customer orientated, very helpful receptionist. The hotel itself is ok, basic, but clean and in a very good location!!!!
It is not a luxury, but got all you need.
I would recommend to stay there as a good budget hotel.
Oxana
London

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed at the Avenue with 5 friends from the 25th October - 29th 2013.
This hotel was so much more than we expected, we got a brilliant price with breakfast included so we wasn't sure if the hotel would be as nice as it looked on the pictures...
When we arrived there the hotel was lovely, the staff were lovely and the rooms were perfect, very warm hotel and the breakfast was nice too.
Would recommend anyone that's staying with friends or going as a couple.
Literally a 5 minute walk into Dam Square and it's very quiet at nighttime in the hotel.
Really loved it, in fact we are going back to Amsterdam in January but have been told the Avenue is fully booked so we are gutted we can't stay there :(

Overall, great place to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

What a great hotel nice clean and tidy nice staff willing to help will b staying there again one thing is the rooms need tea and coffee making amenities only because when UV bn smoking all that good weed u need a nice pot of tea to stop the camels mouth just saying :))))

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Biel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I knew that the parking situation would be difficult in Amsterdam. Neverthelless I was forced to arrive with the car, so I left it in the "De Kolk" public parking, which is basically right underneath the Avenue hotel (but don't expect a discount at the parking). The hotel looks rather small from outside, at first glance, but in fact it spans over two or more buildings. Staff was friendly, helpful and quick at check-in. I got room # 208 in second floor, with view to the street. I booked a double-room for single use, as such rooms are often only a few bucks more expensive than single ones, but offer usually a whole lot more room. But I didn't expects that: this room was HUGE fo Amsterdam standards. It featured also an integrated desk with plugs for your laptop, and there was even space for a little table with 2 further chairs, as well as two single beds. The bathroom was decent in size, cleanliness and features, as well as the whole room actually. Beds were conformtable and fresh. Only on the next morning I discovered that I actually got a triple room (for the price of a double), as there was a further retractable bed next to the cabinet. There was actually only one downer: the wifi had not one, but two broken legs. If it wasn't sluggish, needing a quarter hour only to open a Google search page, it didn't work at all, most of the time. Well, I was in the hotel during a week with a huge maritime exhibition taking place, so probably 90% of the hotel guests where constantly on the wifi. But it didn't even work very early in the morning, I once tried at 06:00 a.m., when I woke up (or did everyone else have the same idea?). Well then came the breakfast: nice choice of breds, warm ham, egg, even beans in tomatoe sauce, cold dishes, fruits, etc. etc. You could certainly find anything you were looking for for a breakfast, and it was good. The location of the hotel was very good too, actually it coudln't be more central. There's also a tram line in the hotel's street. I found the price/performance ratio very good at this hotel. Would return there.

Room Tip: had room 208, very spacious (actually a triple). Some street noise if window is open
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend recently.

The hotel itself is basic - clean and functional. What more do you want really. We were placed in a basement room for the first night which was disastrous, as we couldn't sleep due to the noise of the trams literally running at our head level! So we asked to be moved, which we were and that sorted that issue out!

Breakfast was good....varied and set out in buffet-style. They always seemed to run out of crossaints though!!! But the breakfast was good, hearty and wholesome.

I'd rate the hotel as an average 3 star. There is nothing fancy about it. It's a little out-dated but the location is just fantastic. It is a short stroll from the train station (easy access to the airport this way) and everything in Amsterdam is literally within walking distance from the hotel. It's just a fantastic location.

I would stay here again and I would recommend the hotel to people, just as long as they know that they should not expect luxury. The rooms are a little on the small size (with the exception of the basement bedroom...but that had its own issues) but that didn't bother us.

Room Tip: Make sure and ask NOT to be put into Room 99!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avenue Hotel? Share your experiences!