“one of the better hotels I stayed in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Hotel

You added Avenue Hotel to your Saves list
Avenue Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 33, 1012 RD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #186 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Biel, Switzerland
“one of the better hotels I stayed in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I knew that the parking situation would be difficult in Amsterdam. Neverthelless I was forced to arrive with the car, so I left it in the "De Kolk" public parking, which is basically right underneath the Avenue hotel (but don't expect a discount at the parking). The hotel looks rather small from outside, at first glance, but in fact it spans over two or more buildings. Staff was friendly, helpful and quick at check-in. I got room # 208 in second floor, with view to the street. I booked a double-room for single use, as such rooms are often only a few bucks more expensive than single ones, but offer usually a whole lot more room. But I didn't expects that: this room was HUGE fo Amsterdam standards. It featured also an integrated desk with plugs for your laptop, and there was even space for a little table with 2 further chairs, as well as two single beds. The bathroom was decent in size, cleanliness and features, as well as the whole room actually. Beds were conformtable and fresh. Only on the next morning I discovered that I actually got a triple room (for the price of a double), as there was a further retractable bed next to the cabinet. There was actually only one downer: the wifi had not one, but two broken legs. If it wasn't sluggish, needing a quarter hour only to open a Google search page, it didn't work at all, most of the time. Well, I was in the hotel during a week with a huge maritime exhibition taking place, so probably 90% of the hotel guests where constantly on the wifi. But it didn't even work very early in the morning, I once tried at 06:00 a.m., when I woke up (or did everyone else have the same idea?). Well then came the breakfast: nice choice of breds, warm ham, egg, even beans in tomatoe sauce, cold dishes, fruits, etc. etc. You could certainly find anything you were looking for for a breakfast, and it was good. The location of the hotel was very good too, actually it coudln't be more central. There's also a tram line in the hotel's street. I found the price/performance ratio very good at this hotel. Would return there.

Room Tip: had room 208, very spacious (actually a triple). Some street noise if window is open
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank nomadys

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend recently.

The hotel itself is basic - clean and functional. What more do you want really. We were placed in a basement room for the first night which was disastrous, as we couldn't sleep due to the noise of the trams literally running at our head level! So we asked to be moved, which we were and that sorted that issue out!

Breakfast was good....varied and set out in buffet-style. They always seemed to run out of crossaints though!!! But the breakfast was good, hearty and wholesome.

I'd rate the hotel as an average 3 star. There is nothing fancy about it. It's a little out-dated but the location is just fantastic. It is a short stroll from the train station (easy access to the airport this way) and everything in Amsterdam is literally within walking distance from the hotel. It's just a fantastic location.

I would stay here again and I would recommend the hotel to people, just as long as they know that they should not expect luxury. The rooms are a little on the small size (with the exception of the basement bedroom...but that had its own issues) but that didn't bother us.

Room Tip: Make sure and ask NOT to be put into Room 99!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ar_Laethanta_Saoire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are big,shower is very powerful (love it!) and beds are really comfy. The hotel is very close to everything, supermarkets,coffee shops,food and public transport. Would highly recommend to those staying in Amsterdam! Breakfast is lovely there is tea, coffee, fruit juices, hot chocolate hot food,cold food,cereals,fruits everything you need :) and breakfast staff are also very helpful and friendly :)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruby C
Bodrum City, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I visited Amsterdam with my mum and after much searching, booked the Avenue Hotel for a three-night stay. We arrived early and were allowed to leave our luggage safely stored away until the check-in time. Arriving back at the hotel, we were given two keys cards (so handy when there's more than one of you staying) and were allocated room 315. We were impressed with the security as to enter the lift to get to your room, you have to use the key card.

On arrival in our room, we were very pleased at what we saw. The room was bright and airy with a window that ran the whole length of the room. The two single beds were comfortable and the bed linen was spotless. We asked for an extra pillow each and these were brought up speedily. There was a dressing table/work desk which plenty of plugs available, a small table and two chairs and a flat screen TV. The lighting was very good.

The bathroom, although small, was perfectly laid out - the bath also contained two shower units (one at the end which was great for a full shower and one at the side which was fantastic for hair-washing and rinsing down). Both sink and bath had hair, body and face wash available. The towels were also spotless and changed daily.

Breakfast was great - there was loads to choose from!! There was a great choice of bread, croissants, a selection of cold meats, cheese, olives, cucumber, tomatoes, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, beans, jams and honey, cereals and hot drinks. I can't see how anybody could fail to find something they liked (I liked it all!!).

As for location, for us it couldn't have been better. It's a five-minute walk from Centraal Station, located two streets off Damrak and a five-minute walk to Dam Square. As two ladies, we never felt unsafe when returning to the hotel after an evening out.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a pleasant stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jakkigers
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Avenue Hotel for my birthday weekend and am so glad I booked this hotel. When we arrived we were greeted by the polite receptionist who was really pleasant. After I told him I was visiting Amsterdam for my birthday he told me I was being upgraded to a suite!
I was so happy and thought it was a really lovely gesture. The room itself was spacious and was spotlessly clean. The breakfast is half 7 to half 10 and was tasty. There served bacon, beans, boiled eggs and scrambled. There was a selection of baguettes, white and brown bread that you can toast, cheeses, ham, which was thick cut, it was lovely. Also croissants, jams and cereal was served. The hotel is 5 minutes from dam square which was great as it was really central for everything. Overall I loved my stay in Amsterdam, really enjoyed staying at Avenue Hotel and would stay there again if I return, which I plan on doing in the new year.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tasha_lpool
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Nothing good !!Nothing!!!The worst for me was the bad smell ...from ....you know , what i mean!!! It was really unacceptable!!!
Τhe employees indifferent , Wi-fi didnt work , the breakfast nothing special ,when we made a shower , the bathroom ,after , was a swimming pool ,had no basic infrastructure,much fuss in the hotel , and of course all of these in an expensive hotel !We should have been , beside , at Crowne plaza!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Alexandros T

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The staff at Avenue were really great. The receptionist allowed us to call internationally as we were having problems with our bank and without her help we'd be stranded. The breakfast was delicious and they had a large variety to choose from. The overall stay was comfortable with great showers, comfy clean beds and a good energy throughout. Going back this November!

• Stayed November 2012