We arrived at the hotel after a bus ride form the airport - that is another story in itself!
We had booked the hotel through Easyjet at the same time as our flights - I assumed that as it was a recommended hotel it would be ok....Big Mistake; I should have checked Tripadvisor first, although strangely enough the hotel does have some good reviews which I find hard to understand.
The first problem was the electronic room key, I tried it every way possible and it didn't work. I went back to reception and the receptionist swipped it again and said it should have worked. Back up to the room and lo it did work - my guess is it wasn't set up right to start with.
So, lets start with the good points:
1. The hotel is close to the museums, and concert hall, the area is safe and generally quiet and the trams and busses are only a few minutes walk.
2. The towels were changed daily.
3. The bed was made daily.
4. The bin was emptied daily!
On to the bad points (in roughly the order we came upon them). We had room 41:
1. There were no coat hangers in the wardrope - we asked for some and although the reception was surprised we didn't have any, none arrived.
2. The safe didn't work - probably needs a new battery.
3. The windows didn't open. In fact the handle had been removed and the windows nailed shut - thus we had no fresh air at all just a musty smell.
4. The room had not been hoovered (vacuum cleaner) before we arrived, nor was it during our stay. We did ask for it to be done and nothing happened. I suspect they don't own a vacuum cleaner as we never saw one there and we were there for a week.
5. There was no fridge. Just a cupboard were it should have been.
6. There was mould in the shower.
7. There were hairs in the bathroom when we arrived. We added to them during our stay and there was quite a pile of hair in the corner when we left. Its probably still there!
8. One of our pillows was very hard and we asked for it to be changed. Nothing happened.
9. There is no reception between 7pm and 7am, so you have to use the side stairs to get to the rooms. These stairs hadn't been cleaned in years by the look of the piles of dust there.
10. The dinning room was dusty. Another guest showed the staff the dust on the window sill above the buffet table by running her fingers accross it. Her finger marks were still there days later!
11. Another guest found mould on the cheese - she told the staff and it was replaced. A few days later we saw a man (English? Owner/Manager?) explaining to the breakfast staff about fridge temperatures - surely she should have been told this before; or even just check the food she puts on the buffet! The breakfast buffet wasn't as shown on various websites either.
12. The garden was not as shown in the pictures. It had overgrown during the summer and the cushions on the seats had been left in the rain.
13. Wifi reception was poor in the room. It was better though, when we opened the door to get some air in! Wifi downstairs was ok.
14. Despite there being no fresh air and temperatures in the room reaching the mid 20s the bed sheets weren't changed at all.
15. It was a double bed, as booked, but with two single duvets.
16. As mentioned before there is no reception until 7am, but there is a night porter. We checked out at 6am for an early flight so the night before we asked what the procedure might be. We were told to leave our key in the room as reception would be closed. We couldn't use the lift to get our luggage to the ground floor as the reception was closed and the doors locked so we'd have to use the lift to the first floor then lug our bags down the very steep stairs. I don't know what the night porter does on his shift but portering doesn't seem to be in his terms of reference.
17. Although I've subsequently seen the hotel advertised as having a restaurant and bar... it doesn't.
After the experience of the first day we didn't bother complaining or asking for anything to avoid further disappointment. Best avoided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME TO HOTEL OMEGA AMSTERDAM Hotel Omega Amsterdam is a small, well-maintained 3-star hotel accommodation in a quiet neighbourhood near the Museum Square and the famous Royal Concert Hall. The hotel looks out over the public garden ‘Vondelpark‘, a great place for a walk or picnic, and is right next to the ‘Cornelis Schuytkwartier’, a trendy area with many boutiques and cafés.Hotel rooms:Hotel Omega in Amsterdam Zuid has 32 rooms, all the rooms of the hotel are equipped with:bathroom with shower and toilet, safety deposit box, television, telephone, hairdryer, refrigerator and a work desk. If you want to have airconditioning in the room, please request this before arrival, the costs are aprox. 10 euros per day.Services:◾Wireless internet is available throughout the hotel and is free for the guests staying in the hotel.◾Breakfast buffet is included in the price.Location Hotel OmegaThe Omega Hotel is located in the Amsterdam Zuid are, which is the ideal base to visit several tourist attractions in Amsterdam.Musea: The hotel is within walking distance of the Museum Square, the site of the Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum with its world-renowned collection of Rembrandt’s, and the just re-opened museum: Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, Music: Just behind the hotel you will find the Amsterdam concert hall ‘Concertgebouw‘.Shopping in Amsterdam: If you want to do some shopping, the exclusive street PC Hoofdstraat is just minutes away. The receptionists can also help you if you want to visit the famous Albert Cuyp marketNight Life around the Omega HotelNearby Hotel Omega Amsterdam you will find the famous Leidseplein, an area where you can enjoy the city’s vibrant nightlife: it has many restaurants and cafés, clubs and cinemas, as well as the municipal theatre ‘Stadsschouwburg’ and a casino. All in all a perfect location in the city centre of Amsterdam! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Omega Hotel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amsterdam Omega Hotel