“Gorgeous, Plush, Delicious Breakfast, Beautiful Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassade Hotel

You added Ambassade Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 341, 1016 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #7 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Boston, Massachusetts
“Gorgeous, Plush, Delicious Breakfast, Beautiful Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I love this hotel. I have stayed here three times in January (2006-2008). I have family in Germany and many times we fly into Amsterdam and like to stay a few nights. This hotel is one of my favorites because it is very traditional (it consists of many canal houses all formed into one hotel), unique, and right on the canal in a wonderful location. We usually book a package, such as one that includes breakfast or one that includes museum tickets. The breakfast here is my favorite. It is not inexpensive (especially if you are exchanging from dollars) but it is well worth it. Quite a variety of meat, cheese, juice, cereal, and they'll cook anything for you.. bacon, eggs, etc. The winding stairs in the hotel are so authentic and it is easy to get lost going from one part of the hotel to another. If you get a street level room, sometimes the Brits get noisy at night, but other than that, it is still relatively quiet. Each room is unique and traditionally decorated. The staff is impeccable and the buildings are very pretty.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Catonsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

We were greeted warmly, and check-in was quick and efficient. The lady at reception pointed out all the things nearby, even though we were only in town overnight! It really made me wish we were there longer. The hotel's conveniently located within walking distance to all the popular amenties, there are tram lines all over, and of course, bicycles are available for hire.

I'm 8 months pregnant, so bikes weren't really a good idea (lol) and the steps looked a bit daunting. If I can do it, you can do it! It helped that someone carried up our one bag. We stayed in Room 24, which overlooked the canal. We were upgraded - for less than I agreed upon for my original room! Our room was very clean, but the room's antique decor is sympathetic to the era of the building. Modern, chic, minimalist decor is becoming the 'in' thing, but I cannot see it working in a building such as this one. I can be easily uncomfortable right now and I had a really good night's sleep in their bed. And two different pillows - one more firm, one more feathery. I was impressed! The bathroom was fine, although small, all the facilities worked very well.

It is Amsterdam, so you do get a few revelers. However, we heard our neighbors come in around 1am - chatting, etc. It was minor compared to some hotels in some cities, and I was able to get to sleep again in no time thanks to those great beds. As is customary in much of Europe, beds are two singles pushed together.

Breakfast is a bit overpriced but good quality. We had a good snack at the Admiral just steps from the Ambassade.

• Liked — Beautiful architecture, very comfortable beds.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

This hotel offers many of the pure Amsterdam attributes: it is a series of canal houses at one of the most beautiful canals. The location means it is quiet (cars don't drive down the canal streets unless they really have to), and still very centrally located.

The rooms aren't large, but offer great views to the Herengracht. The bathroom was absolutely gorgeous, with stylish large mirrors and modern amenities.

The bed was a bit too soft for us, but that is the only comment.

Staff are really helpful, nothing is too much for them. This was the second time I stayed in this hotel. The one thing that stood out the first time was that the waiter made us lovely hot chocolate at 1am, while we were winding down in the lounge.

Great idea: we hired bikes from the hotel and that gave us a much further range to go about Amsterdam. Means you don't have to queue for the bikes, nor to walk anywhere to get your bikes. And they don't look like hire bikes either, so nobody knows you're a tourist!

• Liked — character building and location
  • Disliked — soft matrass
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We stayed here for a week in October while visiting friends and family in Amsterdam. The hotel staff were very helpful in planning our days and also with restaurant reservations. The hotel is in a terrific location. While we tried other places for breakfast, their breakfast is very good and you are able to eat leisurely or quickly which is not the case at most nearby cafes. The only other breakfast restaurant we really liked was the pancake house. One thing I missed in the rooms -- a coffee maker and way to make tea.

Stayed October 2008
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

This hotel is a real antidote to the bland modern corporate hotels you find all over the world (and also in Amsterdam). Every room is different and our group had three rooms - all very different, all very nice.

This is not really a business hotel so it is far more suited to holidays and weekend breaks. The location on the Herengracht and Singel canals is great and all of our rooms had canal views. We didn't need to use public transport at all as most of the sights were within walking distance.

Breakfast was extra but definitely worth it. Very friendly staff and a beautiful room. The choice was truly excellent and it was a great start to each day.

All of the staff were very pleasant and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
northern ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

Plusses-
Great location- handy for canal belt, Jordaan, Nine Streets, and centruum
Very friendly and helpful staff- probably the best that I've encountered at any Amsterdam hotel
Clean room with Comfortable bed and good shower

Negatives-
Tiny, tiny room which is shabby rather than shabby chic- no fridge, no wardrobe(!?), no storage at all in fact, small windows. Very claustrophobic I'm afraid.
I know this is Amsterdam and that rooms are generally small but for e209 per night room only this seemed overpriced.

On the whole I'd say this hotel is fine- good even- just know what you are getting- small rooms which are very clean but looking a bit tired and shabby. If you want luxury or something special for a special occasion I'd look elsewhere.

• Liked — Very helpful and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Overpriced for a disappointing room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

I stayed at the Ambassade Hotel (in room 63) for 2 nights in August and loved it. Room 63 is a delux canal-facing room and it was perfect. The windows are huge and open up right over the canal, which was beautiful. I had called up prior and asked for a newly renovated room, which had been suggested on this site, and it was much better, as it felt newer and some of the other rooms I peeked in. The hotel itself was like staying in a mansion. It was truly a great experience and exactly what I wanted from an Amsterdam hotel.

We also had breakfast both days. Although on the pricy side (16 Euros / person) it was truly a feast and kept me full until 7pm.

• Liked — Didn't feel like a large hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ambassade Hotel? Share your experiences!