“Almost a romantic few days a deux!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassade Hotel

You added Ambassade Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 341, 1016 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #7 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Shipley, United Kingdom
“Almost a romantic few days a deux!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Very glad we chose this hotel. Each of the three rooms we booked was lovely, comfortable and nicely furnished. Having seen their sister's palatial room (with it's own doorbell) our sons weren't very pleased to have a twin with no canal view, but that was what I'd booked. The staff were charming and helpful and all spoke impeccable English.

Breakfast was a little expensive, although there was a lot of choice. However, there are plenty of bakeries and cafes in the area where one could eat for less if required. We were slightly concerned about the lack of restaurant in the hotel but it's a five minute walk to some very nice eateries, notably a delightful old building whose name translates as 'The Five Flies'.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lovely hotel. As it occupies a row of canal side houses, if you're lucky you get to stay in an entirely separate building from your kids!

Room Tip: Choose a canal view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

This is an all round great little hotel. Best thing about it was probably breakfast in a light filled, elegant room with a canal view. The breakfast itself was delicious, with plenty of choice whether cooked or continental, the staff are just the right pitch of friendly, and the view over the Heringracht meant you wanted to linger. Our room was lovely too - very smart decor and an incredibly comfortable bed. Corridors full of modern art. It's well located for getting to all the sights of central Amsterdam, and with plenty of good restaurants nearby. Very helpful reception staff. Would definitely stay there again, and am recommending to any friends going to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel overlooks one of the quieter canals in Amsterdam, so rooms there are probably...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Nimy, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

My reviews are very Amsterdam heavy because living 3 hours away from there I take every opportunity to visit. It is a beautiful city and I am so glad I decided to treat myself and stay in this lovely hotel. I say treat but we (a friend and I) paid €400 euros for two nights, which for Amsterdam is pretty average but this hotel was by no means average. Location is great, take tram 1, 2 or 5 from Central Station and get off at Spui, and it is a short walk from there. As you get off you can see there are lots of bars and restaurants but the hotel itself is on a quiet stretch. The staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough for you (even offered to iron our clothes for us!). The hotel is very quirky, with winding staircases and big windows. The products in the room were Ritual and like most decent hotels there was the added touch of slippers and dressing gowns. I could easily have just chilled in the room but lots to see and do! Room was clean, TV had a decent amount of English speaking channels. My friend didn't enjoying the rainfall shower but I loved it! The beds were very comfortable and we both had great nights sleep. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment on its quality. We went to restaurant P.King which was on the Herengracht on the way to the FOAM museum. I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This was my second stay at Ambassade Hotel....and there will be a third! Everything about this special hotel works for me - excellent location on the canal (which quiets at night), within easy walking distance of restaurants/cafes/shopping/tourist sights, etc, lovely decor (beautiful renovation since my last visit!) and exceptional service. The front desk staff could not be friendlier or more accommodating. It was such a pleasure to return to this welcoming and classy hotel after full days of sightseeing. I highly recommend The Ambassade Hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an excellent three night stay, rooms were well decorated and clean, hotel location was excellent, on one of the main canals with easy access to the city centre.
Staff were very friendly and offered help finding restaurants and trips. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

It was our first time in Amsterdam, so I decided to spend a little more to stay in a nice hotel and the Ambassade Hotel didn't let us down. I got an attic room as requested with a nice canal view. The room is not big which is normal for Amsterdam but it's well-equipped. We have free good-wifi in the room. The rain shower and the comfy bed are to die for after a long walk each day. The hotel has just been renovated to install an elevator, which is a plus given steep stairs here. The location is superb with lots of small shops, restaurants and cafés in the little nine-street area.
Ok, it's not cheap but I think it's really worth the money.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Just returned from a stay at this charming small hotel. We truly loved this place. High marks for:
1. Location - on an active but quiet at night canal. I am a light sleeper and our canal view, third floor rooms were very quiet. In the center of the 9s (definitely where you want to be). A 5 - 20 minute walk to literally everything most visitors want to see in Amsterdam. And right around the corner from Van Stapele, which has unbelievably yummy cookies, and other great eating spots.
2. Beds - one of the most comfortable ones I've ever slept in when traveling.
3. Décor - has a fabulous art collection in the common areas. The rooms are old world and colorful, with a few modern touches. Our 2 rooms were plum colored and black/white and olive (numbers 65 and 53).
4. Service - they accommodated every request and were extremely helpful in making and changing dinner reservations and giving directions and making recommendations.

Average marks for breakfast, although I think a good value at about $25 pp since it included hot items such as eggs. Also, the rooms were starting to show a little wear and tear, but I still found them lovely.

I researched a number of other similarly rated hotels, and the few highest end ones. Having gone by some of them while walking around, I think we picked the right spot. Overall, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Splurge for the canal view rooms and if light foot traffic noise is an issue, ask for a room on a hi...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Ambassade Hotel? Share your experiences!