Just returned from a stay at this charming small hotel. We truly loved this place. High marks for:
1. Location - on an active but quiet at night canal. I am a light sleeper and our canal view, third floor rooms were very quiet. In the center of the 9s (definitely where you want to be). A 5 - 20 minute walk to literally everything most visitors want to see in Amsterdam. And right around the corner from Van Stapele, which has unbelievably yummy cookies, and other great eating spots.
2. Beds - one of the most comfortable ones I've ever slept in when traveling.
3. Décor - has a fabulous art collection in the common areas. The rooms are old world and colorful, with a few modern touches. Our 2 rooms were plum colored and black/white and olive (numbers 65 and 53).
4. Service - they accommodated every request and were extremely helpful in making and changing dinner reservations and giving directions and making recommendations.
Average marks for breakfast, although I think a good value at about $25 pp since it included hot items such as eggs. Also, the rooms were starting to show a little wear and tear, but I still found them lovely.
I researched a number of other similarly rated hotels, and the few highest end ones. Having gone by some of them while walking around, I think we picked the right spot. Overall, I would highly recommend this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Over the years, the Ambassade Hotel has expanded considerably. Starting with just one canal-side building in 1953, it now has 58 hotel rooms distributed among 10 of these buildings. Eight of these canal-side homes are on the "Herengracht" canal, while two others are located on the "Singel" canal. Other buildings are in use by the Ambassade Hotel too, but for other purposes: a few houses further along the Herengracht is the hotel's Float & Massage Centre known as Koan Float and 150 meters further along the Singel canal you will find the hotel's conference room. Except for the building at 335 Herengracht, all the canal-side buildings are physically interconnected. So as not to unnecessarily damage the original character of these canal-side homes, small sets of stairs and landings can be found at various places in the halls and in some of the rooms themselves to bridge the differences in floor elevations between the buildings. Over the years, two lifts have been installed, making all rooms easily accessible. The canal houses have been carefully restored to maintain their authentic character and all rooms and suites have been stylishly furnished and decorated. The furnishings are predominantly Louis XV/XVI style with the use of colorful fabrics and in all rooms and public areas you will find original paintings by artists from the famous Cobra movement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, EasyToBook, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Ambassade Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambassade Hotel Amsterdam