“Glorious” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassade Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ambassade Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 341, 1016 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #8 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
New York
“Glorious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was a truly glorious hotel, a down-to-Earth yet upscale experience. My room had a lovely view of the Herengracht, complete with a small balcony. The furniture was tastefully ornate. The service was exquisite. You felt like you were a guest at a royal residence. Not paying but unwanted visitor but a guest, someone invited--a treasured addition to a magnificent home. I cannot recommend this hotel more highly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed at the Ambassade Hotel for four nights and wished to have stayed longer. The hotel had been preselected for our smallgroup, but I chose to add an additional night prior to the others arriving. My room was on the top floor overlooking the canal. The room was immaculate in all respects and the decor was charming. Also the room was exceptionally quiet.
In respect of the breakfast it could not be surpassed. The dining room setting was delightful, the table beautifully set and the array of breakfast items was more than sufficient.
The price of accommodation is on the high side, but on balance there was great value for money.
The staff were most accommodating in all respects and could not have been nicer in manner and friendliness.
The hotel is conveniently located to the tram system and even a trip on a canal boat. However, it is also most convenient to walk anywhere. The area is also most salubrious and attractive.

Room Tip: My high floor was quite suitable as an elevator services all levels in the main building. I understa...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife, Wendy, and I stayed at the Ambassade Hotel after a tour of Scandinavia with the Rick Steves organization. (So you understand our demographic)
We had specifically wanted to stay in a small “European” hotel as we generally eschew large “luxurious” American chain hotels. We arranged the Ambassade through a travel agent in Seattle who was also somewhat affiliated with Rick Steves. It turns out that this hotel was also listed and recommended in the Rick Steves book. That is not necessarily something that we seek out as it tends to attract Americans and we frequently like to interact more internationally…after all, that’s why we’re traveling internationally. Nevertheless, this hotel was fabulous!
It was a bit more expensive on the surface than we might have selected (250 Euros) but was more than worth it.
The young woman greeting us, Louis (I’m Americanizing it), was wonderful (see attached picture below), as was all of the staff. They patiently check you in, and handle ALL of you questions and needs before addressing anyone else and if a line forms, other staff members appear at the desk to service you. The rooms are nice sized and are tastefully decorated and quiet. The bathrooms are fabulous. The bath is large with faucets for the bath, the European hand shower and the overhead rain shower, double sinks… Breakfast areas, library, tasteful lounges like museums, just beautiful… and on the wonderful equally elegant Herengrachts (gentlemans canal). The flowers out front and inside are as beautiful as the flowers just blocks away in the flower market. And the staff is prepared to provide you with any service, any tickets.
After reading some of the other reviews, we did not experience any issues with the rooms but I will comment that you will not find, as you will with most hotels, free coffee or espresso machines in the lobby, THAT does come with a room service price. We were OK with that. Like many Americans, we were used to being able to run out to coffee shops (got to watch that expression in Amsterdam) and buy an espresso to bring back in the morning…that’s a challenge in this area of Amsterdam… BUT, there is one small coffee bar and pastry shop on the right if you go out the door, turn left, go to the tram stop, turn right cross the canal for a block or so.. on the right…
Bottom line, we felt the Ambassade Hotel was a wonderful value and wholeheartedly recommend it.

Room Tip: See other reviews
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Marietta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We asked for a view of the canel but they forgot to tell us the bathroom was on one level and the bedroom was on the other. Only a very narrow set of spiral steps joined the two levels together and one certainly does not see this in the pictures on the web site. We loved the location; it was quiet and within walking distance of most places we wanted to see. Most times the people at the front desk seemed too busy to help us with directions but when they did, they were nice. The restaurant was truly only average. We enjoyed a small restaurant right up the street for one third the price.

Room Tip: Do not take the front room in the building next to the main building especially if you mind the bedr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

It is difficult for me to believe that anyone could write a negative review about this beautiful place. Yes, it is expensive but you get so much in return. This is a one of a kind place, row houses converted to a hotel. No room is alike. The suite we had one bedroom overlooking the canal and the other overlooking the roofs of other canal houses (see my only photo of this). You are literally close to everything. I am an older woman but we walked everywhere. Our favorite outdoor cafe was 2 blocks around the corner right past a lovely bakery and "coffee shop" smack dab right there on the street and no we did not go in. Heck, you just had to stand outside to get the effects. Two blocks down another street you caught the Hop, the canal boats that take you everywhere; shops, attractions, restaurants, site seeing, whatever you wanted. Amazing. If you can afford the price, this is the place. If you cannot afford it, why would you even try to stay here?

Room Tip: I wish I remembered which one I had but you cannot beat any of the ones overlooking the canals. It h...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Some hotel-genius up t together many row houses on a central canal and connected them into a maze of small but charming rooms from the 70's to the 90's. It looks like "a find" but it is not unless you are rich. It is very expensive and everything except wifi is extra. Breakfast is price fixed at $18 a person. If you want to read in the herald tribune for ten minutes they charge. They have a lovely lovely library but when I asked to read a book they told me that past guests stole books so guests now could only look at the books thru the glass-in other words they never let you forget "the bottom line," while the physical plant of the hotel makes you think you are in a charming inn-like hotel. For example my plane was delayed and I called to say I would be arriving Sat morning and not Sunday evening. They told me I would be charged for Sat as they have a 48 hour cancellation ypolicy and they woudn't have time to book it for anyone else. When I arrived Sunday 7 AM I asked if I could check into my room (which they were charging me for) they said that it was occupied. I asked how they could charge me for a room that they were able to book and were also charging someone else for, they told me that they booked the room at a "low rate." I asked if they could at least give me the difference for what I was paying (about $500) and whatever the "low rate" was for someone else. (and by the way - why wasn't I offered this "low rate."
) Their answerwas, "We will have to discuss it with senior staff." Hotels are businesses but a good one makes you forget that and make you feel someone has welcomed you into their home. If you do go - don't settle for the first room. The rooms vary from the pedestrian to quite interesting (tho even the senior suites are small) to great (the "apartment"). THey will give yo uthe worst one unless you are assertive.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cherrybrook, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My son and I recently stayed at the Ambassade . We loved the hotel, with its quirky rooms and great service . We walked everywhere as it is in a great location with several small cafes in close proximity. I thought the breakfast was quite good but expensive , there is a cafe a couple of doors down that serves much better food for a reasonable cost. The rooms itself was huge, facing the canal, the bed comfortable and the service was exceptional. All in all a fantastic hotel....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ambassade Hotel? Share your experiences!