“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassade Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ambassade Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 341, Amsterdam 1016 AZ, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #12 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I spent one night in Amsterdam for a sightseeing weekend. I had booked a room overlooking the canal but on arrival found that I had been automatically upgraded to a suite. It was lovely - antique furniture, large sitting room, massive bed and bath, all the amenities (and the Wifi actually worked, which it often does not in hotels). It had its own entrance also. The staff were very nice and the upstairs rooms looked very luxurious (I didn't have breakfast because I prefer to eat out). The location is perfect - the canals around the hotel are the only place to stay in Amsterdam, which can be ugly in parts.
The one downside was the sleeping - I am a light sleeper, and people passing by the window kept waking me up. It is generally a very quiet area so I'm sure this would not be a problem if you were higher up - I was at the very bottom, half the room was below street level and half above. It was perfectly light and lovely, but the disrupted sleep would be an issue if I was staying longer.
Apart from that, it was excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room above street level.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

597 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We, too, were visiting amidst uncharacteristically cold weather. Being from North America,we arrived early in the AM, hours before check-out. We were stranded in the lobby and getting crankier by the minute. They were booked solid, so they had no wiggle room. They comped us our breakfast in the dining room and we did get the first room available, an upgrade, at no charge.

It was cold in the room, but we dealt with it, later asking staff if we could steal some cardboard to build a barrier in between the windows and curtains. The next day, of their own volition, they called me on my cell phone while sightseeing. They insisted we change rooms for more warmth. Another upgrade at no extra charge.

The location is ideal. We walked everywhere we needed to. I can't wait to return, except this time I will book a room to have ready upon arrival.They offer this at 50% discount.

Room Tip: Beware of the construction as they rehab the building next door.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We traveled for 3 weeks in Europe in March, 2012. Amsterdam was our first stop and we spent 5 nights at the Ambassade Hotel. Their customer service is the best we had during our vacation. Everyone was very nice and helpful. They even helped us with a connecting flight that we were having trouble with. They had great restaurant recommendations. The location is on a canal and the noise level was not a problem. The staff was the best, the room was large and the location was perfect! We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I checked into this hotel on January 8th, 2012. It was bitterly cold in Amsterdam at the time ... in fact the canals were frozen over and their were ice-skaters. It was so cold outside that it took your breath away ... Anyway, I checked into the hotel with ease, made my way to the breakfast area and had a lovely, full breakfast - at a table by the window. It was lovely to look outside and warm-up. After breakfast I was told a room was ready for a slight increase ... so I took it. The room was FREEZING cold. I was told the room would heat-up, but it never did. So after diving into a hot bath to warm-up I dug around for blankets ... and still, after three hours I was not warm. Finally, I realized the window was open behind the curtain. When I called to explain I was told this is normal - inferring maybe I should know this (?) - I finally de-thawed a bit and went for a brisk walk. When I came back the room was slightly warmer - but not exactly toasty. The building itself is beautiful. The rooms are nice - not over-done - you know you are in Amsterdam when you are in this hotel. The sitting rooms for tea and the library area are really nice - as is the art around the hotel. The front desk people are absolutely lovely. In spite of my odd temperature experience, I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Go any time - try to get a room over-looking a canal. But the beauty of this hotel is in the common...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

The staff was amazingly handy in every aspect. I simply found the hotel in Trip Advisor, never heard about. They rent bicycles themselves, so you are not attached to the time of rental stores. For example you can return the bike in the middle of dawn. Nice and stylish rooms. They upgraded me to a better room with canal view. They respond to all e-mails, request. They are 100%.

Room Tip: I stayed on room 29, facing the canal, very nice, very classical style.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here just the one night on a short break in Amsterdam and the hotel was lovely, it's in a great location and the rooms and staff were all excellent. Will definately stay here again when coming back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We only stayed in the Ambassade one night, but it was the most luxurious of our trip. The staff of this boutique hotel on a quiet canal was very friendly and helpful. They recommended some great restaurants and were very knowledgeable about where to go to get a last minute canal boat ride. From looking at the map, and having never been to Amsterdam, I thought this location might be far from the town center. Rather it was an incredibly close walk to just about everywhere. Amsterdam is much smaller than I expected. I'm glad we ended up in a quiet spot too, since the vibrancy of the city was fun to visit, but wasn't something I'd want to sleep near. And lastly, about sleep. The bed at this hotel was out of this world. We will definitely return there when looking for another luxury get away.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassade Hotel? Share your experiences!