“Pefect location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassade Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ambassade Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 341, 1016 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #6 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
NC
“Pefect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

This hotel is at a perfect location. About a block from one of the most busy shopping streets but quiet location on the canal. This is Amsterdam at its best: Boats floating by, lights reflected in the canal, and small winding streets. My room was quaint and huge (especially for Amsterdam standards), personnel friendly, and the halls are adorned with art.

The rooms are clean, the beds and bedding new and comfortable (no sneeze factor here despite it being an old building). Unfortunately no fridge or vending machine in the hotel but a grocery store is not too far away, so I could manage with my food allergies.

Note that many rooms do not have canal view; ask for one when you book if you prefer.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eskisehir, Eskisehir, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Doesnt worth the price. Because in my last visit wich was last week ı stayed there (Ambassade Amsterdam city center). I was informed that the reservation was for four night by my company. at the forth day evening when ı came to the hotel ı learned that my reservation was for three nights and that they have emptied my room and taken away my personal items and thrown them into an office room without reminding me the check out date and asking me whether ı am going to leave or not. I was shocked when ı saw all my items were just around the room, some on the table some were hanged and some on the floor.They should have called my agency or me and remind be the check out. So ı could prolong my reservation. I may misunderstood the dates but they dont have the right to go into my room and ruin my items. They may take an additional price or add done day. Are all netherlanders so rude ı don't think so but this hotel employers and employees certainly are...

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Taunton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights at the hotel in room 28; a double room for single occupancy at a rate of 195 Euros plus 17.50 Euros for breakfast plus 7.00 Euros city Tax. The room faced the canal side. It would in my view be a little small for 2 people people.The downside about canal side rooms is that it is a little noisy with traffic noise. Perhaps a canal side view is not needed as one can see plenty of the canals during the daytime! The room was well equipped.Some people on this site found the breakfast expensive and suggested eating in nearby coffeeshops for breakfast.Yes there are some around but most of those dont open until 10.00 am, look downmarket and often charge at least 10.00 Euros for a decent breakfast.The breakfast in the hotel is worth this extra 7 Euro. I did not find the staff (except for some) to be very welcoming.I also found the facilities available for guests a little confusing.One can have food in the hotel but it is not very clear where; ine room? in the lounge? or in the breakfast room? Because of its central location one can walk to most places; around the canals, to the museums etc. I recommend for serious shopping PC Hoofdstraat and the van Baerlestraat near to the Rijksmuseum. The shops in the centrum are a bit tatty.Overal a very pleasant stay in a well maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Think twice about canal side rooms if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

The best thing about Ambassade Hotel is the very friendly staff. Always helpful - I had a nice chat in the early hours when went I went for a run - asking for advice on safety. I like the people of Amsterdam. They all meet you as a friend. The rooms were spotless and the hotel is placed next to the beautiful Herengracht. It was like coming into a fairytale when we stepped out of the taxi and walked towards the hotel along the canal. The breakfast is very good if you are not allergic to gluten. They were told in advance but all we got was some loaf (which was fine and toasted) but there was no müsli, nuts or anything that could fill my stomach. You pay a lot for only eating yoghurt. The coffee was not to our taste either. The hotel also has some nice areas for relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the canal. If you have any allergies - be sure you make a list of what you would l...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed at the Ambassade hotel in the middle of November 2011.
I recieved a very small room, even without the abbility to open my suitcase conveniently. The view from the room was to the windows of other rooms and not to the canal.
I saw other rooms, at the same price, which look lovely, but I was without luck recieving such a room. It is a pitty that the hotel doesn't conduct different pricing for different sizes of rooms. I recommend to ask in advance which room you are getting, or else you might be very dissapointed, like I was.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at the Ambassade Hotel recently in early November.

I was impressed even before I got to the hotel! In setting up my reservation, I had asked for restaurant recommendations and received an email with a list. Reservations for dinner at two different restaurants were arranged by the hotel for a couple of the nights I was staying there, taking that one task off my mind.

Staff - from the concierge to the cleaning personnel - were all friendly, helpful and made me feel very welcome.

The hotel itself has much character. While everything is modern in the hotel rooms, the decor is reminiscent of past times. Modern artwork hangs on the walls, but the feel is of a grand, traditional hotel.

Breakfast, which costs approximately EUR 17.50 is served in the elegant breakfast room with a view of the canal through large windows. The breakfast spread is very generous with many options including cereals, fruit, smoked salmon and trout, tomatoes, cucumbers, a platter of cheeses and deli meats, breads... the list goes on. You can also order eggs to your liking, as well as pancakes.

The location of the Ambassade Hotel makes it perfect for tourists, as it's close to many of the main areas - the Centrum, Western Canal district, Jordaan, and the Museumplein.

My full review is on my blog: http://www.suburbantourist.ca/2011/11/review-hotel-ambassade-amsterdam.html

Room Tip: If travelling off-season, don't be afraid to ask if there is an opportunity for a discount. No e...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Our room was large, spotless, and comfortable. The bathroom even had a heated floor! The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassade Hotel? Share your experiences!