“I love this hotel - my pocketbook, not so much!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassade Hotel

You added Ambassade Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 341, 1016 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #7 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
canada
“I love this hotel - my pocketbook, not so much!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I had stayed at Ambassade a few years ago upon the recommendation of a friend - and I loved it so much that I knew one day I'd return with my husband - and I did, last month.

I could only afford one night here, it's extremely expensive (my visa bill came in at $500 for one night - I think my rate was 295 euros + taxes), and we had a double room, canal view - but I'm glad we splurged because there's something about staying on the canal and especially on the Herengracht Canal - it's a lovely area for walking (well, all of AMS is good for walking), and we walked to a little restaurant where we were able to eat canal-side (it rained much of the week we were in Amsterdam).

The rooms are lovely and in the process of being re-done; breakfast is superb - my husband went to the restaurant and I enjoyed room-service while I sat by the open window and watched people cycling by. The cons of being so close to the street and to the water is the noise at night - but we were fine, there wasn't too much noise the night we were there.

While yes it's a labyrinth, it's charming and up and down and all over the place. I just love this hotel but I'm afraid I'll likely not ever be able to afford to go back.

Oh, one small thing - it seems that they try to encourage people to do a float-thing - a stress/spa thing - last time I was there they seemed to push it a bit, too. I chose not to do it - must be a money-maker, says the cynic in me.

Overall though, would definitely recommend. Rated 4 instead of 5 just because of the cost.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Good location. Close to Jordaan area. Helpful and friendly staff. Clean,but not fancy and somewhat of a labyrinth.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Great location, walking distant to all the attractions; yet, in a quiet neighborhood - we slept with the windows open every night - with a beautiful view of the canal. Staff was friendly, informed and helpful.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I stayed at the Ambassade with my partner for a two night city break during July 2011 and from the time of check in until the time of departure, the entire experience was a classy and enjoyable one. The hotel is very well situated in a quiet yet central location that's within easy walking distance of all the major sights and attractions.

Rooms are individually furnished to an extremely high standard with incredibly comfy beds and beautifully appointed bathrooms. We had booked a room with a canal view on the second floor and weren't disappointed as it had very large windows offering a fantastic vista through the treetops and down to the canal below and with arm chairs positioned so you could sit and take in the scenery after a busy day sightseeing.

The hotel offers a great breakfast buffet which while not particularly cheap, is good value for money and of a high standard. There are plenty of options including fruit, cold cuts and cheese, yoghurt, cereals, toast conserves and cooked options such as bacon and eggs made to order. It was slightly disappointing that the hotel lacked a bar for use in the evening but room service can bring up drinks to the room and it's great to watch the world go by on the canal with a drink at the end of a long day.

Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and were able to offer tips and advice on where to eat, drink and take in the sights. They can also arrange taxis to Centraal Station or other locations in the city. A good tip is that it's worth asking about tickets to popular attractions such as the Van Gogh museum (recommended) at reception as you can often buy tickets there and avoid the queues.

All in all, we had a fantastic time and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view room on the second or third floors for great views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

It is a bit of a rabbit warren, but I imagine that comes with any location along a canal. The rooms were great and the staff were probably the best we've experienced in five European cities. It is well-located and we would heartily recommend it with enthusiasm. We will be back.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The challenge for hotels along the Amsterdam canals is maintaining the historic nature of the narrow homes with the needs of a modern hotel. The Ambassade has to make a few compromises in order to keep its exteriors, but we have been coming back year after year and every year there is renovation going on as the hotel expands right through to the next canal. It's hard to beat the location. If you value history and admire brilliant ways to adapt canal residences to make a modern hotel, stay here. The breakfasts are delicious, the public rooms are works of art, and when it comes time to eat out, top restaurants are a block or two away.

Room Tip: A good view of either the front canal (Herrengracht) or back canal is something to ask for.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We arrived early in the morning at about 7am. We knew that was way before check-in time. The staff was great. Everyone was friendly and stored our luggage and showed us to the breakfast room. The food was great. We went out sight-seeing and they had our room ready by noon. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood and is within easy walking distance to all the attractions, museums and train station. We had a family room with a separate entrance from the rest of the hotel. We loved the room. Again, the staff could not have been nicer and the breakfast every morning was great. Claudia, was our waitress every morning and was so pleasant and nice to chat with each morning. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ambassade Hotel? Share your experiences!