“CORDIAL NOT SO GOOD ON INSPECTION” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Cordial
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rokin 62 - 64, 1012 KW Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #260 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
bedfordshire
“CORDIAL NOT SO GOOD ON INSPECTION”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

On first impression this 3 star hotel is adequate for a short stay and our room directly above the entrance with a bay window made it feel slightly bigger as we were able to sit on it and look out to the street below.( Rokin ). The rooms are extremely small with not enough storage for 1 person let alone 2. Overall the room had new furniture and fixtures but the walls were dirty and another traveller had not had there bed sheets changed in 6 days. I took the liberty of stripping the bed and taking the cover off of the duvet and I was shocked to see the state of it. It was filthy with all kinds of stains on it. It made me feel sick to think I was sleeping so close to this filth. For this trip as a last minute booking it served a purpose but I would not stay here again. The location is great but this doesn't make up for the filth that lies beneath the first impression. They do provide tea and sugar in your room but if you want coffee this is from a machine in the lobby which costs 2 euros. Also be careful that they don't try to charge you for what you have already paid for. I was travelling with my son and had pre booked and paid for a twin room. On arrival I was told that the double they had provided me with was for 1 person and that I need to pay extra for my son. I argued that the room was for 2 and already paid, therefore I did not pay any extra. They also request that you leave your room key in reception when you go out and collect when you come back, I have not heard of this anywhere I have stayed in Amsterdam before and I would not leave my key with them. I was told if I loose my key they will not be held responsible if anyone finds it and goes to my room. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: if desperate room 104 is slightly bigger.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I traveled with my best friend, the hotel location is central, 2-10 minut walk to almost all the attractions. the staff is great, helped in suggestions of resturants and navigation. the rooms is clean and looks new.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with innstant.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Hotel Cordial was in an ideal location right near all the main sites of Amsterdam and just a 10-15 walk from Amsterdam Central station. I went for 2 nights and went with 10 friends. The hotel is ideal for short breaks away however due to the size of the rooms I would not stay there for a longer amount of time. You just need to look at the buildings in Amsterdam to understand why the rooms are small. The room was spotless, the bed comfy and luckily our room was not noisy at all. As mentioned in other reviews there was no milk provided on the tea tray but not the end of the world. Staff were friendly enough and the lift was a real bonus when coming in a little worse for wear!.
Overall – perfect for a short break but would stay in one of the bigger, more mainstream hotels if I were to go back for longer.
Tip – Down the road, away from Dam Square is a tardis of a organic buffet type restaurant called La Place. Massive amount of choice and fresh, healthy food. A world away from the millions of McDonalds and KFC’s around.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The windows let in so much noise that I had to check I see if they were wide open! The room was overlooking the street and the noise never stops. There may as well not been any windows at all.
Then the building work starts up at 6am! And this is going to be there for months, if not years.

A colleague stayed in one of the back rooms and said it was just as noisy.

Oh and the cups don't get washed. And the TV light stays on lighting up the whole room with no option of turning it off.

Seriously, how do these places get away with trading?! 160 euros for one night and absolutely no sleep.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hoylake, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Best thing about this hotel is the location. 1 minute walk from Dam square! Our room was perfect expect the walls were filthy which was bizarre as everything else was modern and spotless. All they need is a wash down or a lick of paint so there really isn't any excuse. However this would not put me off returning again and I would still recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

business trip - hotel booked by secretary
extremely pricey. first night was charged at €200 like the Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky, which is in a different league.
the hotel is on Damrak which is a very busy road and I could not sleep, which was upsetting as I visited Amsterdam on business and not for leisure. When I complained to the hotel staff about the noise I was told that it was my fault to have booked a hotel in the center. I asked if I could change hotel and I was told that I would have to pay for the extra two nights anyway. On top of that the attitude of the person I spoke to was the most unprofessional I have ever come across on a business trip, which is not really tolerated . I am not surprised they get so many "terrible" reviews in this site

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
holland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I booked with my credit card,read the promise that no deposit taken,payment when you arrive...they tried both! Luckily my card account was near zero so they didn't get the double payment for the first night,I paid when booking in at hotel and no mention was made when receptionist looked for the fist time at the booking order,nothing saying my card had refused them their depositM had the account had money in they would have gone against the promise of not taking deposit! As it is I now have to pay my bank for an attempt to go overdrawn as they had to do all the paperwork and pass on to me that the payment could be reapplied! Room cold,airco when switched on would not heat up,we were freezing with thin bedding,but blew weed stink into our tiny room. Breakfast unappetising so we had to pay to go find a decent meal outside,yes there is a lift but then a maze of stairs and corridors to get to room,my arthritis hated it as did I . Last day towels ,clean yes,with great holes in! We will not be staying again! Staff snappy,two Chinese children running reception one night we returned,no extra tea bags or refill of sugar sachets as requested daily! Inside the hotel stank more of weed than outside,and that was bad.

Room Tip: Don't choose any,cold,small,holey towels,variable temperature shower one moment cold next scald...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Cordial? Share your experiences!