“Decent Hotel in Good Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera

Save Saved
You added Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera to your Saves list
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Valkenburgerstraat 68, 1011 LZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #95 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam

1,357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Paid 135 euros per night and stayed 3 nights so expected a lot more for my money.
Rooms are basic and the corridor gives a feel of Youth Hostel not hotel.
There are towels provided but it stops there - no shower cap and the shampoo etc provided is that cheap variety that is fixed to wall and is supposed to cover shampoo, hand-wash and shower gel.
No tea/coffee making facilities either.
Our corridor was very noisy with guests close to us coming in in the early hours of the night slamming doors and you can hear everything.
Did not pay the extortionate price of 15 euros for breakfast instead went to the bagel cafe around the corner which was excellent.
I requested a twin room when I booked it back in April but they told me the only way they could guarantee it was if I paid 20 euros per night!! Turns out we go a twin room anyway.
Staff were very friendly and it was clean and the free wifi is a definite bonus.

Room Tip: A friend was given a free upgrade as they arrived late and their room had tea/coffee facilities but...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
IbisStopera, General Manager at Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you have a good stay with us. Concerning your remark about the surcharge for a specific room type I am surprised. We de ask a surcharge for a specific room, but not for a room type. To be able to sort this out properly I invite you to contact me to sort this out properly to be able to improve this part of our service as well.
Please feel free to contact me on to discuss this further. Kind regards, Peter Holierook
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here during the weekend of the Amsterdam Marathon (Oct 13). We needed a reasonable sized hotel as there was 12 of us staying. We chose this hotel based on location and price, it was clean, functional and the staff were very helpful. When we arrived we were told we had a twin room but could upgrade to a double with a canal view, we declined, friends who arrived later were given an upgrade for free as I assume no other rooms were available. Our room was at the back of the hotel and overlooked the dining room of the hotel next door, it was at least quiet. The rooms are ok, clean and functional, at the end of the day we spent little time there. The location was great, walking distance to the centre and plenty of places to eat nearby, supermarket round the corner. It was however expensive for what you got at 439 euros for three nights, can only assume this was due to demand with the marathon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Holierook.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here during IBC 2013 when hotel rooms basically double in price but I was able to get a deal which was about €110 per night which is very good. The rooms are functional, I had a triple so it was quite large but all the space was taken up by beds (there was only me!) the view was decent but on the whole it was quite noisy, sadly the staff start vacuuming at about 0715 with the doors open (I will never understand this). The rooms do need some tea and coffee making facilities but the price and location lead me to give it 4 stars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to IBIS Amsterdam Centre Stopera . I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the cleaning/hovering. The room attendants normally are starting at 9.00 hours and are not allowed to start hovering before 10.00 hours. There for I kindly ask you to let me know on which morning of your stay you have experienced this to be able to sort this out. Kind regards, Peter Holierook.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

stayed here to be near family living in area.
Good location for city centre, central station, zoo, opera, tropical and jewish museums.Good walk to other art museums.
Comfortable quiet basic room at back overlooking canal but no coffee making facilities unless one stays in more expensive rooms: this one was about £100 pernight room only ie: quite pricey.
Breakfast was pricey with no options-pay for all you can eat cooked only.
Street rather run down

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

IbisStopera, General Manager at Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you have a good stay with us. Concerning your remark about the price of the room and breakfast I do realize that Amsterdam is an expensive city. As IBIS we do our best to set a realistic price and over several different options including a promotional rate including breakfast. Please have a look at www.IBIS.com for your next stay and best possible rates. Kind regards, Peter Holierook
devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Yes much on the lines of UK premiere inns but a lot more expensive at £129 euros per night breakfast was very average. Definitely needs a tea facility in the room. We were put at the front of the hotel despite requesting a quiet room very noisy traffic. Make sure you book a room at the rear of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and will make sure that our staff is pointed out to pay even greater attention to the remarks and preferences at reservation. Hope to be able to welcome you again during your next stay in Amsterdam. Kind regards, Peter Holierook.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed in the Ibis Stopera for a combined meeting and couples weekend in Amsterdam and were quite disappointed. The hotel is very basic and was not enjoyable place to return to after a day of fun in Amsterdam.

The location is not ideal - there are plenty of better options in multiple locations that beat this hands down.

The room was tiny and we found it challenging for 2 people - perhaps only 1 person would have faired better.

There was only a tiny open "closet" - we had to leave our suitcases on the floor opened as there was no place to put the rest of our clothes.

The bathroom was a disaster - felt like a cruise ship or boat, tiny and uncomfortable. Also had the telltale sign combination soap/shampoo/everything wash in the bottle - never good!

Had terrible coffee!!!

Extremely noisy every morning.

I had a simple request (I thought) to get an extra pillow that was denied as they "had no extra pillows" - really? in the whole hotel?

Finally, this was not close to the convention center, so really no benefit from the meeting standpoint.

In short - there are better options no matter what your trip entails.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry to read hat you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and it is obvious that you are not familiar with the IBIS product in Europe. As we are 100% compliant to IBIS brand I can only advice you to book one of our brands such as Novotel, Mercure or Sofitel during one of your next visits. You can find a complete overview of our hotels on www.accorhotels.com. Kind regards, Peter Holierook.

Been to Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera? Share your experiences!