Let’s be clear, this is a budget hotel so if you are looking for luxury you should look away now. For everyone else this hotel was a great find, really cheap and very clean. The family room we had was basic but modern and had everything we needed including a few UK TV channels on the LCD screen. The beds were large and extremely comfy with clean linen and towels every day. The on-suite toilet and shower was modern but more of a pod than a room, although it did have a (somewhat underpowered) hairdryer which was useful. Our room faced onto the courtyard and was on the first floor but was quiet despite us having the window open (if possible ask for a canal side room as they have a great view over the canal at the back of the hotel). We also had air condition which was quiet on the low setting but a little noisy on the higher setting, but this didn't detract from the room in any way. The 3 of us slept extremely well each night despite the outside temp being very high. We were there for 4 full days and had absolutely no complaints.
A significant plus is the staff, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the service from the team was great, far exceeding our expectations. I've been in 4 and 5 star hotels where the staff have been far less attentive. For example, on the first morning my wife's wedding ring fell into the sink plug, I spoke to reception and someone came up to the room within 5 minutes and managed to return the ring, no fuss and no problem. On the second day we couldn't get the TV to switch on. Once again within a couple of minutes one of the team came up and had the TV working, he then showed us what we were doing wrong (user error) but was pleasant throughout, despite it being very much our fault.
We never tried the breakfast so can't comment on the food but the café/restaurant was always busy in the morning so must have been ok. We went to a local Hema shop just around the corner which served very nice bakery type goods at rock bottom prices. Next door to that was a bagel shop which was a little more but again, excellent. On the negative side the street that the hotel was on was a little run down in places but you can see work being done to improve things. We never felt unsafe though and the main route into the city centre was adjacent to the hotel. On our last day we were able to put our luggage into a locked storage area next to the reception which meant we didn't have to take anything with us until we were ready to leave for our flight that evening.
All in all I would recommend this hotel and would happily re-book; a great budget price for a great family hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ibis Amsterdam City Stopera hotel is ideally located in the city centre, a few minutes from the Stopera Opera House, Dam Square, Rembrandtplein and Waterlooplein. Easily accessible by public transport or by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Tingo, Otel, TripOnline SA, HotelsNL, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Amsterdam City Stopera Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor Amsterdam City Stopera