“Good value for money in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden

Save Saved
You added Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden to your Saves list
Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amstel 144, 1017 AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #153 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Perth
“Good value for money in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Hotel Eden was our first stop of an extended vacation. We arrived early (around 8:00am) after long flight and the very friendly and helpful staff were able to check us in to our rooms, a bonus we didn't expect. The room was small (expected) but clean and well appointed with comfortable beds. The en-suite was also small but adequate and clean. We had four nights there and would stay again. The location was excellent with Rembrandtplien a short walk away, shorter still once we found the exit through the sister hotel at the rear. The Hotel is what I expected from a budget priced hotel in a major city. Be aware that the lift is a little slow and small but gets you there (you may prefer to walk down the stairs though)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

1,496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
silver spring, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

this hotel is in a part of Amsterdam that gives the first time visitor a wonderful impression of this fun city! although our check in time wasn' t until 3pm (we had arrived at 7:30am), the hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly in storing our bags and working on getting us a room as early as possible. Our room was so comfortable and had a view of the canal. The housekeeping staff were so diligent about keeping our room well stocked and clean, and we felt so comfortable asking for anything we needed during our week long stay (extra coffee!). Although the lobby is not very attractive or a comfortable place to sit, we did use the second level seating area to meet with some colleagues for drinks. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful with our questions, and the bellhop never let me carry me own bags.
The location is perfect for touring - close to the museums, de pyjp, and other areas of interest, we walked everywhere and only caught the tram to get to the conference. We hated leaving the hotel and the city and would definitely stay again if we should ever return to Holland.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

The hotel is in good location and clearly has nice rooms but whether you would get a good room is questionable. In my case my request to be moved to a room that receives some shine has been accepted. The second room was clean, light, and very confortable. For 125 Euro per night, however, I would have expected not pay extra money for tea making facilities and 21 Euro for breakfast. Most importantly although I was told repeatedly that I will not be charged for using internet I was charged.

For these reasons, I have mixed feeling about this hotel and I would not stay there the next time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Edenbuzz, General Manager at Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
Dear guest,
Great - my first review to reply to.
Thanks for leaving your impression on the internet. It strikes me that you pay for internet whilst you were told it's free of charge. You shouldn't. We have a basic internet connection that's free and heavy users, if they choose for broadband connection, pay extra.
Let me know if I can still do anything for you.
Breakfast by the way is € 19,50.
I'd be happy to welcome you back again despite your mixed feelings.
Kind regards
Thomas Kahnt
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

This is the first time I have ever written a hotel review on trip advisor, but I felt I needed to make my experience here known! DO NOT STAY HERE!! If you have another option for a hotel, take it. From check in to check out this place was a complete nightmare! Upon check in we arrived slightly early and the person at the reception desk was SO rude about gicing us a room. He said check in is at 3p and there would be no exceptions. He would not even check to see if there was something available. He was talking to us like we came from another planet. We left the hotel and came back about an hour later. Once we arrived it was the same receptionist and he didn't even say one word to me when I gave him my reservation form. Just handed me a key to the room.

We got upstairs and the room smelled like someone had JUST been smoking cigarettes in the room. All the linens had a stench. The room was decorated nicely and looks like it's been renovated recently. However, the rooms are TINY. The elevator takes forever by the way.

Everytime we would ask reception a question they would give me attitude. HORRIBLE SERVICE. The phone in the room was not working so I walked downstairs and told the receptionist who simply did not believe me and literally would not send someone upstairs to take a look. They charge you for the TV so watch out there as well.

Check out was fine because we paid through a third party website so no problems there, however many people in front of us in line were complaining of false chargers on their bill. All in all, this was a bad experience. The service at this hotel was mortifying. They need a new staff of people.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Edenbuzz, General Manager at Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
I am deeply shocked to read about that experience in our hotel. Service in the hospitality should be understanding, showing empathy and solving problems quickly. We have apparently failed to deliver in all three categories. I sincerely regret that it happened and will do my utmost to improve in this area.
Sorry!
Thomas Kahnt
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Traveled with a student tour group for two weeks that my brother was escorting. Stayed with them in lower rated hotel not near city center. After they left my brother and I wanted a room closer to city center so booked at Eden for two nights. The room was very nice if a bit small and had very good design. I assumed that breakfast was included with the stay but it turns out it is a very expensive add on. The entertainment in the room was good but only if you wanted to pay the expensive rate for it's services which are optional. Otherwise very limited television. The really bad part is the phone service. On the phone there is a sticker displaying the international calling rates from the room. It listed the U.S. at a rate of less than $1.00 per minute although I forget the exact amount. After double checking at the desk they told me this is the calling rate and did not explain further. Imagine my surprise some weeks later to receive a phone bill for $111.50 for a ten minute call. Seems the hotel contracts with a shady (probably criminal) company called International Satellite Communications for the phone service. The fact that all amenities and services are charged extra and that they use a phone company like this without informing their guests leaves a very bad impression despite the nice atmosphere. By the way, the lower end hotel was called the Casa 400. The rooms are old and not fancy and look somewhat like student housing, but the service is excellent and the food is very good. Good showers too. The hotel without the nice packaging turns out to be the better place to stay and it is only a short walk from the metro.

• Stayed July 2009
US of A
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stayed for a week and as first time Amsterdam travelers,we were pleased with the location of the Eden Amsterdam.Paying extra for an upgrade to a canal view was pricey butr well worth it.Only problem with the front view is the street, Amstelstraat was just under our window and ther was a bit of noise from the traffic and revelers of the coffee shops but sleeping wasn't too much of a problem. Breakfast was truly expensive, 22eu ,but I decided to splurge one morning and being a buffet we had our fill of food that was pretty tasty.One thing you cannot get anywhere in the "Dam" is a good "cup "o" joe", coffee. and just to get one at this hotel...if you've finished the little complementory packets in your room,your
gonna have to pay full breakfast price to get a cup of Euro coffee.This should change!
The room service only made the beds and emptied garbage regularly.we had to ask once for towels and coffee/tea(which never arrived on our last day and the rug in the room was never vacumned during our stay.
The staff was as helpful as they could be so the complaints there aren't worth a mention.
We were not able to access our room one evening due to a scuffle,short of a take over of our hotel by soccer hooligans which lasted for about three hours and not for nothing,an acknowlegement would have been nice from the Eden. Over all...a nice stay though!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I had a tiny tiny single room on the ground floor in the bottom of the atrium. So the window may as well not exist. But I do like what they did with the furnishing and decoration. Sleek functional designs. If you just need a convenient place (within walking distance to Reguliersdwarstraat) to sleep, that should be fine. The room had a lot of spider webs at first though. I don't know why the staff would have tolerated that. But if you look around the whole city, seems like everyone is rather too tolerant of spider webs. Otherwise the room is clean and tidy enough. Free internet at the lobby is a nice touch. It managed to be quiet and calm even during gay pride with its abundance of partying around -- so that's a plus.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!