“Picturesque Location and Gold Standard in Concierge Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam

You added Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amstel 144, 1017 AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #190 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Atlanta, Georgia
“Picturesque Location and Gold Standard in Concierge Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I arrived late in the evening for my three night stay, check-in was quick and my room was clean, quiet and provided a good environment for a comfortable night’s rest. The next morning I found the view outside the Eden Hotel Amsterdam every bit as spectacular as described online! A beautiful view of the canals was awaiting me and it was breathtaking.

I also met the gold standard in concierge service, a true master of his craft. In the three mornings I was at the hotel I watched him masterfully direct the various groups of international tourists, gently guiding them into the best holiday experience with helpful suggestions, navigating tips and the like. I found his advice to be flawless and particularly helpful. A simple piece of advice to always follow the tracks on the way back to the hotel kept me from going the wrong way many a times when I’d reach a fork in the winding streets. He also advised me not to walk to the Lindbergh Tours office since there would be a shuttle bus that would pick up at the hotel.

I had about 45 minutes before the shuttle was scheduled to arrive so I sought out a little breakfast spot I could dine in quickly in lieu of the hotel’s breakfast buffet. He had to give it some thought since it was early Sunday and most places were not open yet for breakfast. But then he smiled and thought of George’s Deli above the grocery store just a quick walk from the hotel through Rembrandt square.

The Eden has two hotels that are actually connected---the Eden Hotel Amsterdam exits towards the canals and Eden Hotel Rembrandt which exits Rembrandt Square (which is a great spot to stop for an afternoon break or for dinner). George’s Deli made the perfect simple breakfast of poached eggs with toasted rounds, REAL freshly squeezed OJ and tea! I dined there every morning.

When I returned to the hotel, I admit I started becoming a bit anxious as I didn’t want to loose my spot on the Lindbergh bus tour for a trip to the Keukenhof Gardens…an online purchase where I scored a ticket at a 50% discount while I was planning my trip. But I soon observed that the concierge was completely in control of the situation for all his hotel guests needs and sure enough the shuttle to the tour office finally rambled up just in the knick of time. As I was riding the shuttle I realized it would have been a bit of a hike to have to walk quickly and even perhaps slightly confusing if you were not familiar with the route, and so I was glad I had waited for the bus. Upon return from my tour I walked back to the hotel at a leisurely pace and enjoyed exploring the surrounding area.

The last morning of my stay, the concierge was hard at it again handling all the tourists yet he had made a point of putting out an APB for the airport shuttle bus which he had warned me was highly unreliable. He had various colleagues keeping an eye out for the bus and made several calls giving the confirmation number he had secured for me the day before when he called in a reservation. Yet no bus appeared. It almost seemed like he was a cat setting the trap for the mouse----which would be the shuttle driver---who didn’t stop at our hotel even though he reported he did and was forced to come back and get me because of all the extra points of control the concierge had put in place.

This hotel was in a very convenient, picturesque location, the room was comfortable and the concierge service exceptional. I definitely would like to make a return visit here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

When this was a Best Western, the quality was high. We've stayed here many times since 1999, and always found it to be welcoming, hospitable, and with a nice bar in front, where you could get a good cup of hot chocolate, and a pleasantly relaxed lobby area. The rooms were comfortable, the staff was friendly, and it was a nice tourist hotel.

However, the new management has consolidated everything into one check in desk, where the staff are exceptionally rude, and the cleanliness in the rooms has gone way down, to say nothing of the newly cramped rooms, lack of mini=fridges, no wifi in the rooms, and the general atmosphere gone. It's a hotel for business people, drab and colorless. It's over -- the place has lost all its charm. And there are mice from time to time, as well, and poor sanitation in general -- also, the rooms aren't kept up, and some of them desperately need simply a coat of paint, some new light bulbs, and little touches like that. But the whole place has gone downhill.

Once, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Now, I would stay anywhere else. It's sad.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

A friendly and welcoming hotel in a quiet location yet near attractions and transport. We had a room overlooking the canal so perhaps a bit noisier but worth it to watch the passing traffic. Rooms were rather small but well equipped. Staff were helpful, especially the concierge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

The hotel is ideally situated in a nice, pretty and quiet setting not far from the centre of Amsterdam. The style of the building is interesting, not bland or samey at all.
The number nine tram stops at 'The Zoo' and the hotel is only a few steps away from the stop.
The hotel was clean and pleasant to stay in.
Our room was very large and overlooked the park next door. The bed was comfortable and there was a large settee and plenty of other furniture to use, all stylish.
The TV was also comprehensive and available in several different languages.
The shower room was a tad on the small side and there was a bit of a smell from the drains, but this was cured by putting boiling water down them, so no problem and certainly not bad enough to complain about.
We didn't eat there as we were room only, but there were plenty of places nearby to grab a bite.
You cannot check in before 3pm, but you can leave your bags there and return later.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Newry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This hotel an approximate 15minute walk from the train station. It is situated very handy for anyone travelling on the cannal boats as a stop is just across the cannal from the hotel. The hotel was nice and clean and the rooms were lovely. When I stayed the view from my room was brilliant, looking out over the cannal. The main shopping area is about 10minute walk away from the hotel. I would stay in this hotel again if I ever returned to Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I was travelling to a conference for three days at the RAI.

The hotel was basic for my needs, as I was out most of the time. Thank goodness I was travelling alone, as the room dimensions would have been cramped for two people. The desk chair could barely be slid into as it jammed between the desk and the bed.

Downsides - no tea/coffee making in the room. Other than a wall mounted soap dispenser nothing in the way of toiletries. If it's marketed for business, the room safe was an inch too short to fit my laptop.

There was an odd stain on the bedspread. It was very obvious with the way the bedspread was over the bed when I arrived. It was a little offputting, but as I tossed the bedspread onto a chair I wasn't that worried, but if they'd been one or two more hygiene issues then this would have been one of those hotel rooms you don't want to walk around in bare feet.

Back to the positives. Breakfast buffet was reasonable, but was not included in room rate. Day two I went looking for a cafe nearby, but midweek at 7am none were open, so that sort of forced me to pay the €18 for the hotels. The bar looked fine and had free internet. Internet in my room was €15 per 24 hours.

If I was on a personal (non-business) budget I'd stay again at the €108 per night BUT only after shopping around (via TA) for what I could get for the same elsewhere in the city centre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

This was our first trip to Amsterdam. After reading many reviews and looking at many hotels we settled on the Eden for location. Hotel in walking distance of most things. Staff extremely friendly and very helpful held our bags as we arrived early and when we checked out at 12pm we had a 9pm flight so again they were great in holding our luggage. The rooms were a little on the small side but clean and modern. Breakfast was continental help yourself with lots of choice plus tea and coffee. Visited the Ice Bar (at the bottom of the road) although expensive was a great experiance :) Very pretty and would go again to stay at this hotel

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple