“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nova Hotel Amsterdam

You added Nova Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Nova Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 276, 1012 RS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #123 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Heckmondwike-West Yorkshire
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at the Nova 8th April 09 to 11th April. We arrived early mornming, but could lock our luggage in a room in the hotel which was great. Went back 1.30 and they were ready. Our room was huge, we had been given a family room for 2. Our friends were much smaller, but ours was at the front ! Very noisy with trams etc. Breakfast was plentyful, but usual cereal, breads, eggs, bacon, fruit cooked meats. Reception were very helpful and very pleasant. We booked trips from there and they got us a discount. It was a little expensive at 130.00 euros per night, but most other places didnt include breakfast or tax, the Nova did. Would go back and stay there, but will most definately be back in Amsterdam next year, its a fab, fun place to be.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

My friends and I visited Amsterdam in Summer last year and we stayed at the Nova hotel. This hotel has a great location.. just a 2 minute walk to the centre and a very short walking distance to the other main sights.
The hotel lobby was really inviting and the staff were helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel to young travelers!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom and dirty towels
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed at the Nova hotel with my wife from 9th to 13th November 2008 and had a room on the 4th floor. I had selected the hotel based on good reviews I had read about the hotel in Trip Advisor.
I changed my reservation 3-4 times because of better offers by the hotel ( room price changed from 175 Euros per night to 79 Euros so I made a new reservation and cancelled the old ones each time they made a better offer which is quite normal in bookong a hotel that has no cancellation charge till 24 hrs before arrival . upon arrival I was told that My credit card was charged for the first night more than 10 days ago ! which was against what was advertised in the hotel site, they told me they did that because I had changed my reservations and they thought my credit card might be invalid !!!! I am a frequent traveler and this was the very first time this happened to me .

The hotel is well situated near the Dam square with trams available from almost outside the hotel. although you can nearly reach all attractions by foot and we used tram very infrequently.
On walking into my room we were impressed by the size of the room that was quite impressive for a european hotel with a window to the street , The bed sheets and the room looked clean. there was a fridge in the room that was very helpful to keep our drinks, etc in it, .
Despite having the heating on full the room was somewhat cold. When I mentioned this to reception staff they said the heatings are off during the daytime and they work at night. The probable reason could be it was an attic room.
My wife had tick bites on the body, something I had read in another review, but honestly I can't surely blame the hotel on it.

The bathroom was sort of cold and smelt somewhat musty, the towels once smelt very bad, although when I called the reception about the problem, they kindly changed them at once, and the new ones smelt better .

Breakfast was included in the room price ( unlike most hotels in Amsterdam) The contents of it was adequate and I specially loved the breakfast room,it was an old wine cave kept in the original form.The only complain is that the scrambled eggs and bacon were prepared very bad and I don't know why they do nothing about it despite all reviewers complaining about it !!! otherwise it was OK .

Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful, they bought tickets for the museums,for me and they gave us city map on arrival..
The city is nice and I specially recommend Wind mill tours and Maddame Toussots and Van Gogh's meuseums to all those visiting Amsterdam.
If you are on a budget and you get good promotional prices from the hotel it is a good place to stay in.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

Good Hotel. I booked a single, but I got a triple instead; it was huge, clean and looked exactly the same as in the pictures from their site. The guy at the reception was friendly, the hotel is perfectly located both for business (very close to the station, but not in the ugly part) and for leisure (packed of good restaurant around).

• Liked — Position
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Nice place in great location.
The Nova Hotel is a nice place to stay if you are in Amsterdam.
The english speaking staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean, nice and the furniture is comfortable and in good condition. There is acces to the internet and the tv carries a variety of international channels. English and US channels are BBC1, BBC2, CNN, Discovery Channel and Euronews. English and US shows on the dutch channels are in english with dutch subtitles. The breakfast buffet is a typical hotel buffet of acceptable standard. The hotel is not suited for people with a walking disability.

The nearest supermarket is on the corner of Nieuwjzids Burgwall and Paleisstraat. It is a large Albert Hein store that can fill all needs. Turn left outside the hotel and walk straight ahead.

Newspapers and Magazines can be bought at Waterstones in the kalverstraat, American Book Center on Spui or the News stand next to the latter. You can also try the big kiosks at the Central Station.

The nearest McDonalds is in Kalverstraat.

We can recomend the italian restaurant at Paleisstraat no. 3,
the french/italian cafe at no. 44/46 Nieuwendijk or the pastry shop at Hekelveld and Nieuwendijk.

There are restaurants and cafes all over the area.

All shopping needs can be filled locally due to the great location next to the Dam Square. If not you can take tram no.2 to the Leidsplein area.

My girl friend and I liked this place and the location could not be better- We will certainly choose the Nova next time we come to Amsterdam

Stayed November 2008
Bedfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

I stayed at the Nova from 26th October to 1st November and had a room on the 4th floor. I had selected the hotel using Trip Advisor.

The hotel is well situated with trams available from almost outside the hotel.

On walking into my room I was impressed by the size but my feelings quickly went downhill. Despite having the heating on full the room was cold. On two occassions I mentioned this to reception staff but nothing was done. The probable reason it was is due to there being a door to the roof that had gaps around the edge and gaps around the window - some had been sealed with masking tape. The heating in my room packed up completely on the final night and it took two calls to reception before being offered a portable heater.

The bathroom did not have any form of heating and smelt musty.

Breakfast was adequate although the breakfast room reminded me of a staff canteen.

Reception staff were normally very pleasant and helpful.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Cold bedroom and musty bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nottingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

A very friendly hotel situated in a very convenient location close to Dam Square and within easy walking distance of many Amsterdam attractions. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice. The security was impressive

• Liked — Clean, Friendly, Spacious, Secure, Convenient
  • Disliked — The stairs were rather steep
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)