“Nova is an economy hotel with a brilliant location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nova Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Nova Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Nova Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 276, 1012 RS Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #120 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ireland
“Nova is an economy hotel with a brilliant location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

It has been a problem I have with Tripadvisor contributors who book a cheap hotel and then whinge that they did not get four star service. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to get a great deal in high grade hotels and evaluated it according to its grade and not it bargain price.
The Nova Hotel in Amsterdam is right behind the Royal Palace in Dam Square. It is bang in the centre of old town, within minutes of Damrak, a tram hop from outside your door to the Central Station, and if so inclined a short walk from Amsterdam's most famous zone by the canals. So how much is such a central location worth ?
OK so the Krasnapolski Hotel 5 star is in Dam Square, five minutes away, if your budget is up to it, if not then you have to decide. I chose the Nova because in the equazion of location versus budget it fitted the bill.
The street entrance is three steps down from footpath level and does sort of seem unorthodox until you accept that you are in Old Town Amsterdam and the architectural style is intrinsic to its charm. The reception area is comfortable and the reception desk was serviced by staff who were cheery and helpful and more importantly dealt effortlessly with guests in an array of languages. A room for baggage was available for early arrivers.
The hotel is basic. It is hampered by the fact that it is an amalgam of three buildings each hundreds of years old that have been combined to make the hotel. The levels of each building are different so lots of quirky stair turns as you travel upstairs to the accommodation. I was room 302 but it was on the second floor.
No lush pile carpets but clean functional industrial style carpet was in my room. The bed was comfortable and the en suite was ok with clean towels and clean functioning facilities. No kettle but there is a machine in the foyer if you feel so inclined.
Breakfast is in a quasi basement, I mean partially below the level of the pavement . Lots of up and down steps as you pass from one building to another. It made me smile ryely as I traversed the undulations !
I was in Amsterdam for a trade show. I needed a base with a bed, within a budget and near to eateries and bars for my evening enjoyment. Is the Nova Hotel value for money; yes. Is it clean; yes, is it central; yes, is it 3 star; probably not but what do you expect for 65 euro in the centre of one of the busiest and expensive cities in Europe. I got all I wanted and more than I paid for from the Nova Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in a rear room which was spacious ,clean and quiet.The stairs are very steep but there is a lift.Breakfast was adequate with an average selection,we were happy with it.
We found that most sights we wanted to see were within an easy walking distance.
Overall we thought the hotel was value for money and would stay there again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We treated ourselves to a long weekend for our Christmas present
Our room is huge with a spare bed
Room lovely and clean bed very comfy so far lovely
Nice easy walk for Dam Square
So far we have been to the Ann Frank museum very sad and have just visited a coffee shop called The Bulldog of which my partner is sleeping "it off"
More to follow later

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was 1 of the best hotels i have used. The customer service was second to none. It was like going from home to home. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The food was great and had good choices. The staff couldn,t be more helpful and always tried to sort out your needs and quickly

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed for one night and that was enough! The stair nearly killed me!
Hotel basic, fridge but no kettle?
One of the light fixtures in our room was hanging off the wall, and we had a rather suspicious looking brown stain on the throw for the bed. As well as being woken up by the hotel handy man sawing and drilling, you get the tram go past every 5 mins just to make sure your up nice an early! The walls are also extremely thin so if you have noisy neighbours your in for a real treat. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that.
The hotel was in a good location though.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
California, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Pros: very central location right in the center with tram (5) close by; the breakfast buffet is ok (though they don't change things up much, there's only one machine for coffee, and sometimes some of the warm stuff is not yet there when you go there early etc.), the wifi is very reliable and fast, they made it possible for me to get an early check-in after a transatlantic red eye.

Cons: the hotel is really noisy. 1) The room walls were so thin that I could hear the a very annoying bunch of neighbors snore (and talk and everything) every night so I couldn't sleep well and actually requested (and got) a room change. The second room then bordered on the neighboring house so from there I had techno music all day long in the hotel room. 2) the ventilators in the bathrooms never turn off: usually, they go on with the light switch and then turn off automatically after the light's been turn off - not here; they're always on in both rooms I occupied. 3) When I did get my room change for said reason, I got another room but since they were doing some sort of heating repairs during the days, the hammering they did on the plumbing would be carried into every other room connected by the pipes so I couldn't sleep during the day either. (4) The heatings in both of my rooms my clicking sounds whenever they are on (which they are of course in January, the first of my rooms on the third floor didn't get really warm anyway). In sum, you can't sleep well during the night, you can't sleep or work well in the room during the day, it was a pain in the ...

Note that the hotel can only be used by agile ppl because of its labyrinthine and serpentine staircases. Some of these are so narrow and the steps so small (maybe as little as 10-12 cm) that no older non-nimble person can safely walk those. It was actually not a problem for me personally, but my parents wouldn't be able to do it, and even I had to concentrate taking the stairs, which I never have to do anywhere else ever. There are no other amenities and the clientele seems to be younger and touristy. (I can't comment on cost-benefit ratio since I didn't pay for the hotel.) This was a big disappointment, I can only recommend to stay away.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

nice hotel,basic room though with gorgeous toilet ,shower amazing..spotless toilet which i find very important..lovely staff and nice breakfast..3 minutes walk to damn square as its across in one of the quieter streets,15 walk from central station..great location to.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Nova Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!