I stayed four nights at Radisson SAS at the end of December 2009. Overall, the hotel had comfortable rooms with a good location.
1. Good location, off the Dam Square on a side street. It is an easy walk to most of the attractions, including the Anne Frank house and floating flower market. Since the lines to the Anne Frank house is always long, it is advisable to either order the timed tickets in advance or go about 45 minutes before closing when the lines are much shorter but guests would only have about 30 minutes to view the house since it closes generally around 7pm.
The museum area (Van Gogh and Rijks) may take about 30 minutes. The hotel is also about 10-15 minutes walk from Central Station (the main land and water transportation hub).
2. The room is considered large by European standards with a good-sized bathroom.
3. The room was clean and well maintained.
4. Wireless Internet is free in the room.
1. There is no coffee machine but a pitcher that heats up water.
2. The hotel should be 3.75 stars by American standards instead of 5 stars, as it doesn't appear to have a spa or a well appointed lobby. The hotel lobby and rooms are due for a remodel.
3. The restaurant serves average food but guests can easily walk to the Damrak (one of the busiest streets) and surrounding streets for food. Just off the Damrak on a street leading back to the hotel (street on the right of NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky from Damrak), there is a pizza place to purchase a slice of good pizza for a quick bite.
As a trip, for transportation to/from the airport to the hotel, guests can use the Connexion shuttle service for less than $30 Euros roundtrip. Guests can purchase tickets from the Tourist office conveniently located at the airport.