“I want to go back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #5 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Seattle, Washington
“I want to go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

I actually stayed at the Banks Mansion in August for 2 nights, but lately I have been having a strong desire to go back so I thought I would share my lasting memorable Amsterdam experience of this wonderful property.
The hotel's location can not be beat. It was super easy to get to, we took the train from Amsterdam airport to Central Station and hoped on the bus from there. The tram was about a 5 minute ride and literally let us off right in front of the hotel. Check in was a breeze. The room was nice and the view was awesome. Wasn't technically a balcony, but we did sneak on it a few times to enjoy the peaceful canal view ( i believe it could be referred to as a "french balcony"). Beds were extremely comfortable and the rain showerhead was pure heaven. Yes, rooms were small but that is to be expected in Europe.
My boyfriend and I are in our late 20s and really wanted to do up Amsterdam, so I will be honest, the main reason I booked this hotel was for the inclusive drinks and it did not disapoint. There was a bar set up downstairs with a wide selection of beers, wine, liquor, coffee, sodas, and bottled water that was on a help your self basis 24 hours a day. From the Jameson put in my coffee in the morning to the late night after the bar beers this was a really nice touch. I am also a huge water drinker, so the free bottled water also was great. The mini bar in our room was fully stocked, but it was not refilled (this minor detail was my biggest complaint). We were definatley the youngest people staying at the hotel, but the evenings were a great time to socialize with other travelers when they would put out wine and cheese trays (and cheese in Amsterdam is wonderful).
I cant say enough good things about this place. The location was awesome. With in walking distance is the Rembrandplein, which is filled with lots of bars and restaurants. There are many pleins throughout the city and this was by far my favorite one. It seemed the most local and not touristy like Dam Square and the Red light district area and even the Leidsplein There is really no need for a car in Amsterdam. My boyfriend and I rented bikes and rode everywhere.(mikes bike rental was great and with in 10 minute walk from hotel)
Breakfasts were wonderful. Lots of buffet items, but you can also order basically anything cooked to order. Staff is so friendly just like the rest of the city. Gotta love the Dutch. We booked the Float package and have to comment on it because I was unsure of what to expect. With the float package we were given a free float session at a highend spa down the street(this was not done by the hotel but offered by them) . The Koan Float was one of the oddest things I have ever experienced. Basically you submerge in a blue chamber filled with warm salt water. You are given a floating headrest and basically just float for an hour while calming music plays. Very different, and can't say I'd want to do it again, but an experience none the less. The float package was cheaper than booking per night so that's why we went with that.
All in all I am dreaming of returning this summer. This was our first stop in our Europe tour last year and set the bar very high. The rest of the trip unfortuantly did not compare in quality, and would highly recomend Banks Mansion when in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

1,295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Went on trip advisor to find hotel as so many in Amsterdam where do you start?!!! With Husband for a special anniversary and wanted something different.
Couldn't fault it. Yes you do pay a bit more than other hotels but all drinks (hard and soft) are most definately included. This includes branded names, and not cheaper imitations so is well worth it as drinks in Amsterdam bars are not cheap to say the least. Breakfast was very relaxed and a lovely way to start the day. Shower in room lovely. Visit trip advisor lots but have never left a review. Banks Mansion deserves it! We will definately return with friends next time. Wouldn't advise it if you have young children though. More for adults. Staff most helpful and very welcoming. It is easy to see why it has such a good reputation. Our room wasn't massive but this was part of the charm and individuality of the place. View of canel quaint, and situated just on edge of centre. Could walk to loads of main places ie dam square, anne frank house etc within 10-15 mins but still felt like you were miles outside of the hustle and bustle. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is in a great central location, close to the centre of Amsterdam. The free bar and snacks in the the lobby are a great plus. Breakfast is very relaxed and they have excellent coffee! We really enjoyed out stay here and will visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed in an Executive canal view room for Valentine's weekend.
From the moment we arrived the service was wonderful.
Lovely room. Good breakfast.
I was dubious about the claim of free bar but it is indeed free: both in room and downstairs in the lobby too.
Overall excellent stay, would use again

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Just got back from a 3 day stay in Amsterdam in the Banks Mansion with my wife from a business trip, the hotel is 4* some of the fittings in the room had seen slightly better days, but that is the worst thing i can say! The staff are a real breath of fresh air, i extend my thanks to Nancy, KiKi, Philip and all the others. I have never experienced service like it before ( and i have stayed in a lot of hotels of all ratings ), nothing was to much trouble and this hotel truly put much larger and much more expensive establishments to shame. The free bar in your room and in the Living area where always fully stocked, and if you needed anything just ask and it appeared. I was truly surprised by this hotel, it is of boutique size but punches well above its weight. I will not be staying anywhere else in Amsterdam, do your self a BIG BIG favour and try it you will love it.
OH i forgot the breakfast served by Sam, delightful !!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

I have been visiting Amsterdam for several years and was not away of Banks Mansion hotel. We stayed here last year and would not wish to stay anywhere else. Polite and helpful staff, excellent service and after a hard days work a delight to go home to. Congratulations Banks Mansion! See you soon

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

My 21 year old Daughter and I spent a couple of nights there. The rooms were a good size the bathroom large for European standards. Everything was included from the mini bar to the drinks in the lobby/ bar area. The location was very central. We also went to the Purse and Bag Museum which was close by and worth the trip. The hotel I think is better for Couples and families with Adult Children.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!