“Ideal for Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #5 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
london
“Ideal for Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I visit Amsterdam every couple of months on buisness and have probably stayed here 20 times. Its my first choice not only because its so central but also because the staff and environment is great.

Whats different from usual is the 'living room' area where you can get unlimited free drinks and bar snacks plus free internet use. Whats great is that when traveling alone its often a good place to meet and chat with other guests in a nice environment. With this in mind I have recommended it to female colleagues travelling on their own.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

1,312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

a great location, excellent service, & a crazy amount of gratis amenities (free beverages! an amazing breakfast buffet! champagne to ring in the new year!), i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone interested in seeing amsterdam. sure, the rooms aren't huge but really, should you be spending much time in your room when you're in a beautiful city like amsterdam? especially when you can buy your tix to the rijks museum & the van gogh museum directly from the concierge? i think not.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

Our stay at the Banks Mansion had its pluses and minuses. On the plus side is mainly the hotel's location which could not be more central. Also on the plus side is the fresh, abundant cooked breafast included with the room rate, and the complimentary mini-bar, and soft/alcoholic drinks. The minus side was the housekeeping department. On our first day, they did not arrive until 5 pm, which was way too late, since we had been out walking all day, and at that time only wanted to rest and relax in the room. The next day, they did not arrive until 2:30 pm, again, the one moment when we wanted a short break from shopping. The reception was also a bit cold. Having said all this, for the "plus" reasons, I would go back to this hotel. Try the P-KING asian restaurant across the street, it was excellent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I was responsible for choosing a hotel for a business meeting in Amsterdam for 15 people. I was very nervous since I have never been to Amsterdam and was basically calling different options. I was very impressed with the staff that helped me with the logistics and the location I can describe in one word "perfect".
The rooms were outstanding and the bathrooms make anyone feel like a million bucks. The concept of one price covers all is great for anyone thinking of travelling. The location is great, walking distance from the Tulip market and most of the historic buildings. Free breakfast (made to order omelettes, etc.), free use of mini-bar, and free beverages and snacks in the main area while looking outside at the canal made me want to stay inside the hotel at times more than going outside.
The staff is very accomodating and goes the extra mile to please all of its patrons. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Amsterdam for business or pleasure. With all of the extras included in your daily rate and the amenities, I find it hard for any hotel to compete with it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

A friend recommended Banks Mansion to me (she loved her stay there) and since I had never been to Amsterdam before, I took her up on the rec and booked this hotel. It really was as lovely as she said it would be.

We picked a standard room w/canal view (queen-sized bed) at a rate of E219/night. The reservations person explained, when I inquired, that the canal view rooms were a tiny bit smaller than the non-canal-view standard rooms, which were running at E189/night. For the two of us (2 guys, 6'2" and 6'1") the room was very comfortable albeit a tiny bit on the small side -- although not nearly as small as many European hotels are. The canal view was nice, but it's not such a brilliant view that you need to spend the extra $$ for it... next time I stay there (and I *WILL* stay there again!!) I'll pick the non-view room which has a bit of extra space.

The bathroom was realllllllly nice, and I understand why many other reviewers have commented on the bathrooms! That rainfall showerhead was spectacular, and now I want one at home! The room itself is very modern, and the mini-bar is stocked with drinks and water and some chocolate, and this was a lovely amenity to have included, because you could grab a small bottle of water without worrying that you'd get nailed 10 euros for drinking it! Everything was included. Also included in the room rate is the daily breakfast, which was, without a doubt, the best breakfast I've ever had in any European hotel. Another great bonus for this hotel is the free drinks, coffee, munchies, etc., in the lobby for guests. It was a little rainy and chilly when we were there, and it was such bliss to be able to sit in front of the fire with a glass of red wine, or an espresso, and just relax. The hotel staff were very friendly, outgoing and helpful, and I would love to stay at this hotel again.

One of my fears about traveling to new cities where I'm unfamiliar with the hotels is that I'll get stuck in a hotel that's awful, and it will ruin the trip. Thanks to a friend and some tripadvisor reviews, this hotel was NOT one of those! It was a real gem, a true "great find" and was part of the wonderful time we had in Amsterdam. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Overlooking a canal near a tram line, the Banks Mansion lived up to expectations. The rain shower was lovely. The provided slippers and robes would have been excellent – but we weren’t in the room long enough to use them.

A major factor that sets apart this hotel are the free amenities like free access to the bar downstairs, free mini bar with cognac, whiskey, and gin and a supply of soft drinks to choose from. Also a few snacks were provided. This was all quite lovely but we didn’t end up drinking a lot – mostly because I caught a cold in Dublin and spent a lot of time sleeping on the, extremely comfortable, bed.

The location was just off of the 16, 24, or 4 lines to Centraal so it was very convenient.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I wanted my parents to come to love Amsterdam as much as I did when I was there many years ago. They are not frequent travlers having left the USA only twice in the last 20 years. I booked the Banks Mansion based on reviews from Tripadvisor.com for a 4 day weekend holiday. I have never stayed at the Banks hotel as I have become a "slave to the HiltonHonors" program having elite status blah, blah, blah... To complicate matters I was/am an overly worried son fearing my parents would get lost in the shuffle of a busy boutique hotel catering to more prestiguous guests and venues. I was very wrong to be so concered, as my mother and father were in very good hands at the Banks.

My parents have not stopped talking about this hotel experience since they got home; "Beautiful hotel", "fall-all-over-you-service", "warm and friendly", "delicious breakfast", "great view of the canal"(4th floor room), "comfortable room", were just some of the many raves my parents had. I know they arrived from JFK to AMS in the morning and the reception was able to get them to thier room straight away.

Aside from the hotel itself, I was eased by the fact my parents would have a "wonderful" breakfast each day as well as having "snacks" available to them should they want. The other huge comfort for me was that I was able to work with a guest reservationist named Sarah Post, for without her services I would be lost. Sarah, helped put my mind at ease knowing my parents would be well taken care of. She helped coordinate deliverinng fresh fruit and flowers to my parents every day of thier stay (a charge for this, but well worth it). Sarah also helped recommend tours and activites my parents would enjoy. Sarah and the rest of the hotel staff, put my mind at ease and helped make this a wonderful vacation for my mom and dad, as well as a great gift from me. My parents had the "trip of a lifetime" and I get the credit!

• Stayed August 2009

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!