“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #6 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bebington
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor about this hotel I had always wanted to stay here but had thought it was a tad expensive for a four star hotel. As my trip this time round was only for 1 night, I decided to give it a go and am so glad that I did. Staying here is like staying in someone's home not a hotel. The people are so welcoming and helpful here. Due to an early morning flight, I arrived before the check in time, so my room wasn't ready but, as well as being able to leave my luggage, I was also invited to use the facilities of the lounge - a hot espresso or two were an excellent start to the day! The hotel adopts an all inclusive approach so that drinks and snacks in the lounge are included in the room price. It was nice to be able to come back from the late morning shopping, check in and dump the shopping, and then have another coffee (or something a bit stronger!) before facing an afternoon of more shopping or sightseeing. The room was comfortable; the use of the mini bar was also included in the rooom price and there were decanters of gin, whisky and brandy in the room as well. My only criticism would be that the wardrobe was on the small size - that didn't matter so much for me especially as it was only an overnight trip but for a longer period, or for 2 people, a bigger wardrobe would hvae been better. The bed was comfortable as was the armchair and footstool. Breakfwast the next day was excellent - a good choice of hot and cold food and a chef o hand to prepare omelettes, panckajes, etc. It was a shame that my trip was such a short one! The hotel is well situated fot shopping and there are plenty of restaurants close by - much appreciated as this particular weekend was exceptionally cold! I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Amsterdam. Although the room price is quite high, the fact that all drinks, snacks, etc. are included makes it not such an expensive stay.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
W Yorks, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We stayed as a family (of 4) in two rooms for a three day city break. Apart from the fact that we requested adjacent rooms on booking and didn't get them when we checked in we thought this was a really great hotel. They did everything they could to resolve the rooming issue and managed to get us settled quickly. They allowed us to check in early and were happy for us to relax in the main lounge when we picked up our luggage later on in the day well after we had checked out. The inclusive breakfast was among the best I have experienced in any hotel worldwide and all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable with everything you could want. The very best part for me was the fully inclusive experience of the hotel - Nothing worse than getting to hotel bill to find numerous extras for nothing worthwhile. The open bar in the lounge was a real treat which created a very relaxed atmosphere for a pre dinner drink and/or nightcap. The location was perfect with trams linking every part of town just outside. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance. We will certainly go back and would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Cambridge UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

I stayed at 'Banks' for a four night period, reserving a canal view at a price of Euro159 per night. In my view the hotel provided good quality for this price, particularly in comparison to several other 4/5 star hotels in this city. Location is good, on the classy herengracht canal. The number 16 tram (and others) stops very near by. The free use of a small bar in the reception area is a nice touch as is the presence of a dvd player as standard in all rooms. The kitchen serves an ok breakfast but not formal dinner. However, given the multitude of options nearby this is not an issue. Room service is limited - from when I was there this seemed limited to some noodles and ice cream from a nearby vendor. My only gripe is the lack of free wi-fi - it is available for a price but given the concept of this hotel I would have expected no charge. Nevertheless Banks Manison will be a define option for me on return visits to Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Banks Mansion for 5 nights over new years. From the moment we arrived, we felt extremely comfortable and welcome. Our room was not ready when we arrived (it was 10.30 in the morning!) but our bags were taken and we were shown to the refreshment area where we had a well needed drink. We then went for a stroll and came back an hour later and our room was ready. The room was small but the bathroom huge. It had everything you need, including the free mini-bar which is a great touch. The hotel itself is in the perfect location in Amsterdam. It is within walking distance of the city centre but just far enough away that it is that little bit quieter. You can also walk in the opposite direction and be at the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum in 10 minutes. The best thing about this hotel, though, is the staff. All the staff we encountered (especially Nancy and Pamela) were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We hope to return to Amsterdam one day and when we do we will stay no-where other than Banks Mansion.

• Liked — Staff, location, free bar& minibar.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I had a slightly 'rocky' start to my stay. I contacted the hotel twice, made the booking which they failed to confirm. The third telephone call made up for their mistake; upgraded room and a better rate!
After a direct flight from Sydney (35 hours) I very happy that their reception was friendly and efficient.
I was given a corner room overlooking the canal and street, plenty of space for Amsterdam, great bed and well furnished. (Spend a bit more to book a canal room.). The mini-bar is free and well stocked, a pleasant change from the prices of most mini-bars! They have a "living room" rather than a lobby, it has an open bar, coffee, nibbles all day and canapes from about 5.30pm, fire, plenty of lounges and arm chairs, Dutch and English newspapers and magazines. For a single traveller the friendly, low key atmosphere made it easy to strike up conversations with other guests. It has a perfect location 1.5 blocks from the Flower Market and 3 minute walk to the shopping precinct south of Dam Square. Breakfast is always included the rate, plenty of variety including eggs anyway cooked to order.
This hotel cares about making your stay, personal, warm and friendly, it was summed by the advice reception gave me when I asked the way to the Rijksmuseum; the most direct route is...; but if you have time walk here for great antique shops, here for fashion, try this coffee shop etc."
I won't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam!

• Liked — The
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Stayed at this gem of a place over the christmas weekend and really enjoyed it. The location was very good, in the Southern Canal Belt which was close enough to all the major attractions without feeling too touristy, and the tram links were frequent and convenient.

After reading the previous reviews was actually prepared for a small closet room but the bedroom was pleasantly spacious and definitely one of the bigger ones I've seen in Europe. The complimentary minibar was a nice finishing touch, and the Living Room reception area, with a cheery fire and free flow of drinks and snacks, was a lifesaver for those cold Amsterdam afternoons..

All in all, a great place and would not hesitate in recommending to anyone

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manhattan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Banks Mansion very much. It's a mid sized hotel, about 40 rooms. My room was a canal view room on the top (fourth) floor. It was nice, albeit small. I was traveling alone, so the twin bed was fine, particularly comfortable with good pillows. The bathroom is very nice, and the shower head is a like a huge watering can.

The lobby has a sitting area, as well as a bar with cold drinks, a coffee machine, liquor, and some small snacks at all times. All is complementary as is the minibar in the room, which has several cold drinks and three spirits. There are two computers in the lobby for free internet use, and you get a free 50 minute wifi connection to a hotspot type internet service, which is much faster than the lobby computers. More time can be purchased. There are European outlets in the rooms and one UK outlet at the desk.

Breakfast was very good, and presented as described by the hotel.

The location was ideal. The hotel is on a canal in a nice area in the southern canal belt, close to the city center. It is walking distance from busy areas, but its block is quiet and subdued. Trams are close by--either a one minute or five minute walk--depending on which line you take. Taking the tram to the train station (and on to the airport) was very easy, but I had carry-on luggage.

A great hotel, highly recommended.

• Liked — Charming, consistent, location and the free bar
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!