“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #5 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cape Town
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Banks Mansion is very centrally located and easy to reach from the airport. We took a train from the airport to Central station and then a tram. The tram stopped just up the street from Banks Mansion. Rooms are spacious as is the shower. We often used the lounge area to grab a quick coffee, do a bit of research and plan our day. There is a good selection at breakfast - don't miss out on those delicious pancakes!
We found the staff very friendly and helpful. While we were out they took the initiative to contact the baggage company about our missing luggage and arrange delivery. We had a wonderful stay at this home away from home.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

The slogan of Banks Mansion is "your home away from home". This makes it a great pleasure that this is exactly the way you have experienced our hotel.

Because we value our (future) guest the most of all, we always try to offer as much value for money as possible. To make sure you always book with the best available rate, we always offer the lowest rate on our own website. This combined with the special offers always result in the best deal.

We hope to welcome you again and thank you for this review.

Esther Boers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I recently stayed at Banks Mansion with my 10 & 11 year old children and their grandma. We all thoroughly enjoyed everything about the hotel - the staff was knowledgeable and welcoming, the rooms were comfortable, the location was central, the breakfast was delicious and the complimentary drinks and cheese were an awesome bonus. It's rare to find a boutique hotel like this that can make all aged guests feel so welcome and happy. Enjoy!!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this marvelous review and for recommending us to the rest of the future travellers to the Banks Mansion.
It is nice to see that you enjoyed all the aspects of our full service concept and unlimited hospitality from our guest relation officers!

To stay in touch with us maybe you want to connect with us on Facebook? We now have 709 likes and are planning on a give-away when we reacht 750! Please like our page for all updates about the hotel and Amsterdam.

Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed five nights in late July having booked on the strength of the Tripadvisor reviews, and wasn't disappointed. The Hotel is well place on the Herengracht canal and our room, a deluxe with canal view was well appointed, comfortable, and clean. The unique selling point for this hotel is the all in concept. Which means all drinks snacks and breakfast was included in the price. The breakfast was excellent with a large buffet of breads, cheeses, meat, fruit and cereal.Also cooked to order were eggs any style and pancakes if you wanted. The lounge was comfy with a mix of sofas and armchairs with a few iPads scattered around for use. The bar was simply help yourself to wine,beer, spirits, soft drinks and coffee/tea. If you were around at five pm then a trolley of assorted cheeses turned up.The staff were friendly,polite and most helpful. A real gem of a find and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Contrary to some reviews a deluxe suite with canal view is worth paying for. Noise levels outside no...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this wonderful review. I find it great if someone fully enjoys the full service concept, this is what we are and what we stand for.

To make sure you always receive the best personal service and best available rate I advice you to always book via our own website. Did you know that we offer special deals exclusively on our own website?

We hope to welcome you in the future.

San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I chose this hotel because of the location and its reputation. From a European standard, this is definitely a 4/5 star hotel. From an American standard, this would be a 3.5/4 star hotel. It's a little shabby, and the rooms range from very small to "average" size if you're willing to pay for the upgrades. Staff is mostly professional and polite, but the service is spotty. I noticed mostly older couples among the guests.

I was booked for two nights in a canal-facing room as a birthday holiday to myself at the end of a "work-cation." Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I had to return to Amsterdam two days earlier then expected. When I called the hotel to see if I could change the booking, they were friendly, and the person on the other end went so far as to say how nice it was that I was spending my birthday there, and that she was making a note of this in the reservation. (I didn't expect anything from this, but it was a nice thing to say.) Meanwhile, the hotel was able to accommodate me for those two unplanned days, but in a different room, facing away from the canal. I'd have to switch rooms on day three to the original booked room, because it was reserved for the weekend. I was ok with that.

Room 1 was a top floor room with no view, but was a decent size (I paid for the upgrade), had a bathtub, and had enough towels. Unfortunately, there was fecal matter on the walls around the toilet. (I wiped down using Clorox wipes I carry with me when traveling) and let it go. However, the next afternoon, I found cleaning supplies left on the bathroom sink (ironic, isn't it?). I took this down to the front desk and told them about the situation. They said "they would make a note of it to the cleaning staff."

I had to check out of the first room and re-check into the canal-facing room on day three. Had to pack up and store luggage downstairs and come back after 3pm. I was surprised that they didn't offer to put the luggage in the new room. Nonetheless, after 3pm I took my luggage back to the top floor, but this time to room 2... a smaller, "deluxe" shower-only canal-facing room. The view I'm paying extra for to enjoy my final two days in Amsterdam? The windows don't open out, but simply crack open above. There is no way to see anything unless you stand very close to the glass and look down. They left me ONE bath towel. I called for more towels...they never came.

The "free" stuff in the rooms are a few mini cans of soda/beer/bottles of still water, a chocolate bar, and some decanters of gin and other hard stuff. The 5pm wine and cheese includes a cart rolled into the main reception/sitting area with cheese and other little things. I don't drink alcohol, so most of this is wasted on me. It was very helpful not to buy water, however, during the day.

Breakfast is fine...unless you leave your food on the table for 30 seconds to get some orange juice or ask for a scrambled egg. They will clear it...even if the food is untouched and the dining room is half-empty. This happened to me two out of the three days I had breakfast. The second time the cook on duty saw my reaction when my food had disappeared after waiting for him to make a scrambled egg for me, and came from behind the cooking station and apologized.

And that "happy birthday' note on my reservation? No one wished me a "happy anything" the entire time I was at the hotel. That's perfectly fine...except that I was sitting by the canal next to the hotel a few hours after I arrived, and the young woman who checked me in a few hours earlier was taking her dinner break and quietly pointed me out to the person sitting with her and told her that it was my birthday. Then they just stared at me for a few seconds and turned away. This was a bit awkward, to say the least.

I travel a lot all over the world, and in the grand scheme, these are just little things. But for the cost involved, I shouldn't have to be cleaning up dirty bathrooms, picking up after the staff, chasing after towels, or be fearful of losing my breakfast if I get up to get something from the buffet. Overall, it's been a mediocre experience, and it is unlikely I'll ever stay here again or recommend this hotel given the cost involved.

Room Tip: If you are springing for a canal view, make sure it's on a lower floor and there there is a balc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Totally recommend this hotel. Staff were super friendly and helpful, rooms clean and comfortable. Super little touches too, from the free decanted spirits and minibar in room, and free self service bar in lobby. Can't praise this hotel or its staff highly enough. Wifi free throughout too.

Room Tip: Just book, hotel will do the rest!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review and for recommending us to the rest of Tripadvisor.

To stay in touch with us maybe you want to connect with us on Facebook? We now have 700 likes and are planning on a give-away when we reacht 750! Please like our page for all updates about the hotel and Amsterdam.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I arrived at the Banks Mansion on the 29th of July after disembarking from a cruise. I had been sick for the entire cruise and continue to be so. The staff at the hotel could not have been more accommodating. A large area next to the lobby, rightfully called the " living room" boasts very comfortable chairs, sofas & tables. There is an espresso/hot chocolate machine, teas, snacks and best of all computers to check mail etc. all included. In the afternoon various cheeses, breads, soup etc are served . A bar and soft drink area is available 24 hours. I had a appointment with the house doctor who was very good. He advised me to rest as much as possible so instead of my original 5 night stay I have added an additional 5 nights. I currently have a room facing the street but will be moving to a canal view. The staff continue to ask about my health, the other guests are very friendly so there is no downside. By the way, a generous breakfast is included, the hotel is very clean and in a great location.

Room Tip: Need to keep window closed at night with street view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

This review was just what we needed! Thank you so much for writing this review.

We are more than happy to have you as our current guest and to help you during these days. I am sure our front-desk team will ask you again if they can be of any help, but also please let me know if I can help you with anything.

Again thank you for this wonderful review and we will make sure the coming five these will be pleasant.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed two nights during mid July. We got a room on a higher floor overlooking the canal. The room was clean, comfortable with a French (Juliet) type balcony. A nice feature of the hotel is free drinks (including alcohol) along with cheese and other snacks at certain times.

Breakfast was superb - a large buffet with options for all.

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would certainly return.

Room Tip: If you're a very light sleeper then perhaps a room on a higher floor (as with any city hotel)
Dear guest,

Thank you for this wonderful review.

We would love to stay in contact with you. Hopefully you would like to like us on Facebook!
We are almost at 750 likes and at that moment we are planning on a beautiful give-away.

Hope to welcome you again in the future and to connect with you online.

Esther Boers

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!