“I'll be back!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, Amsterdam 1017 BV, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Knokke-Heist, Belgium
“I'll be back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great place to stay, great location. Lots of museums within walking distance and the shopping streets 'at the back door'. Great choice of restaurants in the vicinity, whatever cuisine or price range you prefer. The 'all-in' concept' and the 'home-away-from-home' feeling are very nice, but even the best 'concept' in the world can't work without the right people to implement it, and at Banks Mansion they are a-plenty. I think the staff is the greatest asset of the hotel, they are so genuinely nice and helpful. I hope that 'the powers that be' are aware of that ;) But, don't take may word for it, go and see for yourselves ;)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and to meet you in the hotel. It is much appreciated that you wrote this email and that you have taken the effort to share your love for Banks Mansion with the rest of the internet.

We truly hope to welcome you again in the future. For the best personal service and best available rate please visit our website.

1,190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We are first time travellers to Amsterdam and loved our 3 night stay at this hotel. Location is perfect for all the main attractions, the girls at reception are very helpful with advice on where to go and how to get there, plus maps, making reservations, ordering taxis etc etc! We were in room 109, with a small canal view although we didn't pay extra for this. The room was on the small side but it had everything we needed plus a comfortable bed! The all service concept was very welcome, and the central location meant we could frequently pop in for a quick drink so saved pennies! If there was 1 improvement to be made then more sound proofing of rooms would be beneficial, we could hear traffic and 'comings & goings' from the street quite clearly, this didn't keep us awake but perhaps request a higher floor if your a light sleeper!

Room Tip: Request high floor if your a light sleeper
Dear guest,

We are also very happy that you have decided to pick the Banks Mansion for you stay in Amsterdam. We are extra happy that you also decided to share your experiences with us and the world.

We hope to welcome you again in the future. For the best personal service and available rate please visit our website.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The location is great, very central to all of the best sights in Amsterdam. The all-inclusive nature of breakfast and the bar was unique and welcome. The daily breakfast options were outstanding, and the ability to have an evening drink and snack was very great to relax before or after going out to dinner, all without an added charge. Even the mini-bar in the room was included which was very nice. The wifi was also included and was a reliable, fast speed. Front desk service was very nice and always helpful. The room was comfortable and everything was nice enough. My only criticism was that the room was not spotless clean, could use a better cleaning in the bathroom and the floors (both tile and carpet) need better care and cleaning. You may also want to bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper as the rooms on the main street can hear the noise from cars and people outside.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is always fun and helpful for us to read our guests experiences.

We hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Whitman, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My friend and I try to do a Girls Vacation every year and our trip to the Bank Mansion in Amsterdam now ranks as one of our very favorite trips. As other reviewers mentioned, the location is ideal. You can walk to everything and as you explore the city, you certainly discover what makes Amsterdam a destination to remember. But it was so much more than the location that made our trip so memorable. It was the entire staff at Bank Mansion. They treated us like royalty and we felt so very spoiled. Our days started when we were greeted with a cheery smile from the breakfast chef and she cooked our eggs and pancakes to perfection. Then Wilhelm helped us plan our day and even gave clear directions to us, who even though we are both Directions Impaired, managed to find every attraction! After a long day sightseeing, we relaxed by the fire as we enjoyed wine and cheese and speaking to the other guests. Finally, the young women at the desk always gave us wonderful ideas on where to eat each night. Be sure to ask for their recommendations, as we were very pleased with all three of their dining suggestions. We were sad when it was time to leave and both decided that we needed to return very soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We are very honored that we now rank as one of your very favorite girlcation-trips.

We agree with you decision that you must return very soon. For the best personal service (maybe from Willem) and the best available rate I advice you to book via our website.

Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Before staying somewere, I always try and read as many online reviews, but I have decided this is a futile exercise. Yes you get good ones, and GREAT ones, but you also get poor ones which, if true would ruin your trip.

I planned a very special trip to Amsterdam, and I wanted it to be perfect. As it turned out, I had all the help I needed to achieve this in the staff of the Banks Mansion Hotel. Jacqueline and Willem were outstanding.

I originally booked through Expedia, but realised that I needed to get an upgrade in order to get a bath and a canal view. Simple – done. I needed some recommendations for restaurants – done, which were both fabulous. Could I please have a bunch of tulips in the room? Of course you can.

I have seen some people write negatively about this hotel – noise from trams, room size, the fact that the hotel image on the website looks better as it is shot at night with lights (!), the dubious free drinks etc., so let me put those rumours to bed.

One – you are in the centre of Amsterdam, but in a classy part…they have trams. Hence the triple glazing if it gets too much. If you think that will worry you try asking for a quiet room?

If it is important to you to have hundreds of antiseptic square feet – try staying at one of the dull majors at the airport. This is a very old building in a very old city. Personally, I just want to store my clothes and laptop, (in the laptop safe provided in the bedroom), and go to sleep in my room.

The free cheese and meat and wine/spirit bar. A lovely touch. The only tiny negative is that one space serves both those people just wanting to relax and chill out, and those people who are having business meetings and insist on shouting at each other. It might be preferable, (after breakfast...), to ask business users to work in the (unused) restaurant - it would not be too much of a hardship for them to wander up for their free food and drink.

Forget about the “look” of a hotel, it is what is inside that matters. I have seen a review that says the décor looks “dated” – perhaps that person did not quite appreciate the concept of Art Deco, which is perfectly executed.

Someone wrote that the free spirits in the room were not sealed, (quite hard to do with a decanter…!), and not replenished, (again – perhaps just try asking?) If that reviewer is used to drinking 25 year old single malt, then they would be disappointed, however, I loved the touch of luxury, it is absolutely fine. I have had worse in US “major” chains.

Beds – simply the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on, with a huge and soft liner, and great pillows that you just sink into.

The location is central, but just out of the centre. It’s about 10 Euros to travel anywhere (inc. tip). Walking is completely possible but we opted for cabs.

Breakfast is a full hot and cold buffet, great eggs, omelettes and pancakes, wonderful coffee (from a machine), meats, cheeses, breads, conserves, and you must try the bread, butter and chocolate sprinkles 

So – yes…a great boutique hotel. We have already booked a return visit in September. I think the mark of a great hotel is if it makes you feel welcome – and several times we found ourselves saying “Let’s go home”. That for me is the mark of a wonderful hotel.

Dear guest,

Thank you for this extensive review! We loved everything about it because you seemed to love everything about the Banks Mansion.

Also good to read that you already booked another visit for September. We are very honored to welcome you again this year!

DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights at Banks Mansion in November 2013. Let's start with the basics - the room was lovely, clean, and as promised, I had a perfect canal view. The bathroom was spacious and modern. And, miraculously, it was all fairly quiet. But what really makes this hotel stand are the amenities and the service. Everything is included once you are at the hotel - there is a self-serve bar that is fully stocked and a great wine selection available at your leisure in the lobby. There is also a fridge filled with beer, water, juices, etc (as well as one in your room), and snacks put out throughout the day, culminating in a really great cheese selection at night. In your room, the mini bar is accompanied by carafes of gin, brandy...and honestly, something else I just can't recall right now. It's all included in the price. The customer services was amazing too. Everyday I was greeted by name when I passed through the lobby, and was given tons of help planning, finding restaurants, and treated with great kindness all around. The hotel is well situated near a lot of shopping (though touristy shopping) and restaurants. It's an easy walk to most museums, a bit longer, but manageable to Anne Frank House and areas like the Nine Streets. Other than getting to the hotel from the train station and getting yo the airport from the hotel I walked the whole city. I will definitely go back if I'm in Amsterdam, and have already recommended it twice to friends.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Wauw! The title alone already makes us truly happy. Thank you very much!

We of course hope to welcome you (and the friends to whom you recommended us) again in the future. For the same service you have received in the hotel and the best available rate, always book via our own website.

Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights - 16th Feb to 19th Feb and cannot say enough good things about it. Great location - far enough away from what maybe classed as the more 'touristy' side of Amsterdam (Dam Square and the RLD) but everything is still within walking distance should you want to venture into those areas. Also very close to the museum quarter for those interested in the more cultural side of things. But it's the service and staff where this hotel comes into it's own, nothing is too much trouble and they certainly go that extra mile to make your stay pass without any problems or issues, they just cannot do enough for you. The free drinks, snacks and breakfast are an obvious bonus as well!! Would certainly stay here again if/when I return to Amsterdam and was far superior to the NH Grand Krasnapolsky Hotel where I stayed last time when I was here.

On a final note - if Willem is working, then pick his brain about where to go for a drink or something to eat, his recommendations were excellent. Apologies if I have spelt your name wrong though!

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for this great review. Willem is overwhelmed with questions since your review. But he is still enjoying it as much as he enjoyed helping you.

We truly hope to welcome you again in hte future. For the best service and available rate, please always book via our website.

Esther Boers

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!