“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Concept” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #8 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Concept”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We just got back from staying at the Banks. FIrst off, the hotel was very nice. The included breakfast was WAY above average.. both hot and cold. The living room concept where they have a full bar open all day (included in the price), sizable cheese tray in the early evening, IPADS and comfortable places to sit is really a good deal. We had wondered if we might use it as we would rarely sit in a hotel lobby and hang out. But it was big fun and it was nice to have some wine, cheese, some cocktails after walking around in the cold. Nice touch.

The location is prime. Right on the nicest residential canal but still very close to many town squares, shops, cafes, sights, boat tours, biking.. We walked ALL OVER Amsterdam and don't think we saw anywhere in terms of location we'd have rather been located. 5-10 minute walk to everything in a town where you walk.

All in all, we loved this place. We were a family and got two rooms but I wouldn't hesitate to just go as a couple. It worked out exceptionally well. Got a little loud from the street on a couple nights with some drinkers out having fun during vacation but nothing terrible. We were treated well. The staff was exceptionally helpful and gave great recommendations.

We would stay here again in a minute. Value for money was very high..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Thank you also for appreciating the location of the hotel. All the hightlights of Amsterdam are indeed within walking distance and Amsterdam is a great city to walk through.

The fact that you enjoyed sitting in the living in the evening makes Banks Mansion a good hotel for you and your family. We always enjoy a full livingroom with friendly people.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

With kind regards,

Esther Boers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
sarasota florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I wanted to add a review to my glowing pre stay review from last April..We actually loved the hotel, the location and the way the hotel was all inclusive..This enabled us to meet so many of the guests..we actually spent many nights having cocktails and ended up eating dinner after 9 pm because we had so much fun
Unfortunately I checked out and stored my luggage before I caught our river cruise ..They allowed us to store our luggage in a locked area..unfortunately the storage was full and my bags were stored in the office..I was wrong in storing my carry on..but I left it all and went to lunch..coming back we took all of our luggage to our rivercruise and I personally carried my carry on with me from the hotel to the ship...Upon arriving at the Uniworld boat I found all of my jewelry gone..the whole jewelry case was stolen from my carry on.
The Banks mansion was sorry but felt they had no responsibility to what happened..they had no insurance and I was out all of the money the jewelry was worth..They offered nothing..and my homeowners covered only $1000; only a small portion of the worth...sadly I lost many personal family pieces that cannot be replaced emotionally. I felt very let down by the staff and management.

Room Tip: Stay at the hotel...I would do it again if I were to travel to Amsterdam; but do not store your lugg...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Mrs.

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort of writing this review. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our full service concept, which means that our full American Breakfast, our 24 hour open bar, our minibar, our appetizers and cheeses in The Living and our Wifi is included in the Room Rate. Thank you for spreading the word that our location is right in the city center of Amsterdam, on walking distance of all museums and other hotspots of Amsterdam.

An extra service that we offer for our guests is to store the luggage. It is our goal to make sure that we take good care of this service. The storage of the luggage in the hotel is always under own risk.
We do our very best to be professional and hospitable in all different situations possible that occur in our hotel. We sincerely hope that you can understand that as a hotel we can not be held responsible for this matter.
Of course we can remember you as our guests and we have tried to find out (together) how this happened. We, as Banks Mansion, wish that we could offer you a solution right away, but sometimes, that is just not possible.
Banks Mansion feels sorry that you have experienced this and we are happy to hear that you would like to stay in Banks Mansion again!
Please feel free to make your next reservation direct via me, so that I can take care of everything.

Best Wishes,

Belo Horizonte- Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Hotel has a great location, one block from Rembrandt square,close to all kinds of restaurants and confortable rooms.Very helpful staff, help to book restaurants and give great recommendations..Breakfast good enough.Free wi-fi and hotel offers Ipads.
All drinks are included,soft and alcohol drinks, including a wine & cheese session from 5 p.m to 9 p.m.
Room has a included minibar replaced everyday .Has also three jars of strong liquor: gin, brandy and whiskey. It´s too much alcohol , a bit exaggerated. I didn´t have problems, but increases the chances of meeting with drunk guests.
Rooms are not completely soundproof, and I could hear guests in neighbor rooms speaking.
About value for money, it´s a good option, especially if you plan to drink a lot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this nice review. It sounds like you have enjoyed the hotel and the city. We are aware that the free amenities could result in disturbances, but luckely we have the best guests in the world (like you) who all behave and use the alcohol wisely. Next to that our staff is up for the task, to maintain the order.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and we truly hope to welcome you in the hotel again in the future.

With warm regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

You should stay at this hotel if you require excellent service. The Banks Mansion staff, headed up by Nancy and Kirstin, is very attentive and professional. They all offered great recommendations, and when things didn't go well, they were willing to step in and assist. In fact, Nancy went over and beyond what I'd expect when I encountered a problem with a tour there in Amsterdam. If and when I return to Amsterdam, I will stay at this hotel. I will stay there because of its staff, even though it doesn't hurt that it is in an ideal location, and the breakfast and mini-bar items are free. The rooms are clean and comfortable; however, it can be noisy at times - not the hotel itself, but the traffic outside the hotel.

Note on location - Hermitage, Foam, Rijks, Van Gogh are all within walking distance!

Room Tip: If you don't want or need a view, ask for a room that does not face the canal/street. The noise...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. Nancy and Kirstin (and the rest of the staff) is honoured to be praised like that.

Again, thank you!

Lennik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

A summary of the good things and the bad things that we experienced while staying at this nice hotel:

Positives:

- great value for money
- prime location with plenty of dining posibilities close by
- friendly and professional staff
- offering of free upgrade to canal view as part of the Expedia VIP programm
- posibility for late check-out as part of the Expedia VIP propgramm
- all inclusive concept is just great: breakfast, minibar, lounge with drinks and snacks, use of Ipad, ... all included in the price
- great pillows and great matrasses
- all our special requests were honoured
- cosy and warm athosphere

Negatives:

- check-in took way too long, we do understand that the hotel wanted to have our room ready so that we could check-in but they should have asked it to us instead what we prefer. The kind lady just asked us if we could have a seat because it was busy at that time at the front desk but nobody came to us to check us in when it was calm. So I went to the reception myself to check us in and there they finally told us that the room was not yet ready and kindly asked us to wait a little bit longer...so we waited but again nobody informed us so we had to step to the front desk once more yo ask for the status of the room.Finally, after a long time we could check-in but found out in the room that the minibar was not fully stocked and that a filthy glass has not been replaced. We informed the front desk and they immediately took action, For me, the hotel front desk staff failed on this occasion where they could have reacted more pro-actively during the check-in process. This is the only negative point though but worth mentioning it to avoid similar situations in the future.

Although, I strongly recommend this hotel for a stay in Amsterdam! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this review.

It is good to read all the positive points you name in your review.

We are sorry that you check-in took this long. We appreciate you mentioning it, so we can (as you write) avoid similar situations in the future.

Again thank you!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

My wife was in Amsterdam on business and stayed here because of the location and the included amenities. I tagged along for a quick visit to the city. We were not disappointed.

The service was excellent with a very friendly staff who were able to give great recommendations. The breakfast was good and the evening reception was a nice way to unwind. The fact that you can snag a quick beer out of the refrigerator is a very nice convenience.

One thing to be aware of is that you will have to pay an additional fee for an extra person staying in your room. This wasn't apparent on the booking site that we used. I understand why the charge is added but it was a bit of a surprise as I assume most people who stay here travel as a couple.

With that being said, we loved our stay here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

First of all, good to read that your wife stayed with us during her business trip. Next to being suited for leisure guest, Banks Mansion is also suited for business guest.

Thank you for writing this review and pointing out the positive things you experienced in the hotel. It is true that at the Banks Mansion the second person pays an additional fee. We are sorry that it was not clear while making the booking. This is why we always recommend to book directly trough our own website.

Again, thank you for these kind words.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Moved here after checking out of the Sofitel, which didn't do the job for me. This hotel was much better, it has the wow factor that separates the run of the mill top flight hotel from the real gem. I'd rate this place in the top 10 of places I have ever stayed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

It makes us proud to hear you first stayed at The Sofitel and switched to us. It makes us even prouder that you likes us as much as you did. Thank you for that and for taking the time to write this review.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

With warm regards,

Esther Boers

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!