“Amazing location, great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #7 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing location, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This hotel has just about the best location in Amsterdam - downtown, the museum district and Rembrandt Square (amongst others) were an east walk, yet it was quiet at night. One block north and you were surrounded by restaurants, movie theatres and crowds, yet the Mansion was sedate. The staff were quick to learn our names and made excellent recommendations for walking tours, restaurants - check out Nacht Wacht (the Night Watch) on Rembrandt Square for perfect steaks (also the Fried Mussels were incredible).

It was nice that the hotel didn't have a restaurant which forced us to go exploring, but with the location there was always something close. The hotel does have a breakfast room and breakfast was above par (I recommend the omelettes with everything).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear guest,

"I am used to 5 star hotels, but whatever the rating, I would stay at the Mansion again without question."

Such kind words to end a review with. Thank you for that!

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Esther Boers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My partner & I have just returned from a four night stay at Banks Mansion – we loved it. The staff are really friendly, always happy to help, always wishing you a good day and seeing what your plans are to see if they can help in anyway.. and totally genuine with it.

We stayed in a basic room which was fine – I’ve seen a few reviews with people calling the rooms small.. compared to London, the room was quite large!! You get your whiskey, gin & cognac in the room.. none of which my boyfriend nor I like, but it’s still a nice touch – we did ask if we could swap one of them vodka which they said no… thought it was worth a try!

As everyone else has already mentioned, you get the free drinks downstairs in the ‘lounge’ which is a really nice touch – as was the wine & cheese! Only made it to breakfast once & it was really good – great omelette!

The hotel is in a brilliant location – this was our first visit to Amsterdam and we literally walked everywhere. Everything seemed to be within about a 10 minutes walking distance.

We will be back in Amsterdam one day soon and we will definitely return to Banks!

Thanks guys!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We really, really loved your review.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed all the aspects of Banks Mansion, which distinguish us from other hotels.

After reading your review we are working on extra decanters, so when you stay with us the next time we can provide you with a decanter vodka.

We hope to welcome you in the near future.

Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and the level of service and friendliness at this hotel is the very best I have seen - comparable to what we see in Asia, but to me it was even better than that. It is shocking. Truly was a shock to me, also because I have lived in Amsterdam for a long time. Everything in this hotel is perfect: service, location,..., even the breakfast was very nice. I have advised my friends who work in Amsterdam to book this hotel for their corporate guess and I would highly recommend it to anyone. If it has a swimming pool / spa then it would just be paradise.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this lovely review. It is much appreciated by me and the entire staff of Banks Mansion.

We hope to welcome you again at Banks Mansion in the future. For the best personal service and best available rate, please visit our website.

Washingtoin DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Good location. Staff superb. All inclusive format. So drinks and nibbles and breakfast will not break the bank. I did like it. I would go again and would recommend for couples and tourists in particular.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have just spent the weekend here and can honestly say they have thought of everything. The location is ideal, within walking distance or a 5 min tram ride from Amsterdam Central station. You have many lovely restaurants and coffee shops on your door step. The hotel and room decor is beautiful and 'The Living' is perfect. Everything is included, so after a long day exploring you can sit by the fire with a glass of whatever you want and they even bring out a cheese, olives and other nibbles. The internet access is fast and you even have the use of iPads. You could literally while away hours relaxing here. As for breakfast, there is so much selection and we loved the fact you could order pancakes, omelettes. Definitely the best city hotel we have stayed in! We will be back as soon as we can. Many thanks to the lovely staff too.
Mr & Mrs Fleetham

• Stayed December 2013

Bergen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Wow, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else when I come back to Amsterdam. Normally I stay at SPG hotels and they are very good but the service and hotel package here was superb. Sooo much is included and the help is brilliant, nothing is too much trouble. It is quiet and and so friendly. It really is a home from home. Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised, as I was.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Bank Mansion is a small, straight-forward hotel with a somewhat boutique feel. It is well located in the city center near several tram lines, the staff is helpful, and the all-inclusive approach succeeded in winning me over during my 5-night stay.

The hotel is well-located for the tourist, along a lively street with great views of the canal and with easy access to the major attractions. While I might prefer a more “neighborhoody” location next time, Banks Mansion is convenient and, with the nearby tram lines, everything is very accessible.

We enjoyed a canal view room on the 4th floor. I had been a bit concerned about street noise, but this was absolutely not an issue. I was never disturbed by any noise outside (or inside the hotel, for that matter), and I could barely hear anything to begin with (except for the ridiculous winds hitting the windows!). Our view was very pleasant, as we overlooked the canal and street intersection, so there was a nice combination of action on the street and the serenity of the canal. The room itself was rather narrow, but there was depth. I liked that there was decent space between the bathroom and the bed, though I must emphasize again that the room was very narrow – the width offered just enough space for one to squeeze by between the lounge chair and the desk. The television in the room has several English channels (as well as a couple German and French stations), and not just news channels but also typical TV shows.

The room was clean but did feel somewhat cramped between the narrowness and the low-ish ceiling, though I know this is rather typical of Amsterdam. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious and offered a sleeker look than the furnishing in the bedroom (which I didn’t really care for). The rain forest shower-head was large and powerful, though the hot/cold dials are rather sensitive, so be careful about cranking the hot water up too high! The toiletries are nothing special, but you do get conditioner, unlike at some other Carlton hotels (i.e., the Dominican in Brussels), and there are bathrobes and slippers in the room. The hair dryer is not very good, and we had some issues with the toilet (when it flushed, the water would keep running and we had to fiddle with the flush to make it stop and then able to flush again). But this was not a huge deal, just a minor irritation. Housekeeping was fine – they replenished our toiletries consistently and disposed of all trash, though once they forgot to leave a bath towel, another time left a cleaning rag on the desktop, and they did not always replace beverages in the minibar.

The front desk staff at the hotel was pleasant and helpful. I think they made about a dozen calls to restaurants for us, and they were friendly but always very professional and never saccharine or anything. They helped guests in the lobby with wifi and other issues, and they quickly printed documents/tickets for us. They easily supplied directions and made recommendations, and they had good tips for us as well (for example, when we debated a day trip outside the city, Joost warned us that the trains could shut down due to bad weather - - and he wound up being right).

As for the all-inclusive approach, I am a fan. My boyfriend was a bit skeptical at first, and typically I steer away from these sorts of things myself. But we both ended up enjoying the complementary drinks, wifi, movies, breakfast, minibar, etc. The staff puts out a large variety of beverages every day at 4pm: 3-4 different bottles of wine, a wide and decent selection of liquors (such as Disaronno), beers, and non-alcoholic options. Then at 5pm they put out a small selection of cheeses and sausages. It was quite relaxing to enjoy drinks by the fireplace after a long day running around the city. There are also iPads in the lobby area for your convenience. Breakfast also surprised to the upside. Given that daily breakfast is included, I assumed breakfast would comprise only the very few basics. I was wrong. Breakfast offers baked goods, cereals, cold cuts, smoked salmon or other fish, fruit, and a hot station with eggs, omelets, pancakes, French toast, sausage, and bacon. The chef downstairs in the breakfast room is also very friendly.

In short, Banks Mansion is a solid hotel offering a comfortable and worry-less stay at a reasonable rate, and I recommend it for all types of travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Esther Boers

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!