“VERY POKEY ROOMS” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“VERY POKEY ROOMS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have always applauded and embraced Hotels that dare to be different and was really looking forward to something quite special here. I was disappointed. Not with the service or concept but the size of the bedroom which was very bijou and made me feel that I was retiring for the night in a dolls house rather than a grown up persons hotel room.

I checked in late to find the front door closed and a sign that suggested I ring the bell. I was soon spotted by a male member of the hotels staff who buzzed me in and welcomed me by name, guessing that I was who he thought I was. A nice touch. He then explained that the hotel was a full service concept where guests were encouraged to treat the hotel like a home away from home as he showed me the lounge area with bar, all of which he assured me were 'included' in the price. I was tired. I realised that my iphone charger plug wouldn't work in Amsterdam so asked him for an adaptor. I was offered a large assortment of 'free' adaptors, none of which would work adapting an English 3 prong plug or, I could purchase, rather than borrow, an adaptor for 9.50 euros. A bit cheeky I thought and proceeded to my room on the first floor.

My first impressions were that the Art Deco inspired room was very clean, but VERY cramped and I felt boxed in. Although small, the room was well appointed in fairness, good quality fixtures, excellent bed, pillows and cotton bed linen and a Nespresso machine which is a nice touch. I retired for the evening too tired to ask for a room move. Shower water pressure was not great either which was a pity because the shower itself is impressive to look at, I have the same shower head at home as it happens.

The breakfast offering was good with the added bonus of ordering something cooked to order which I did. The Omelette didn't look pretty but tasted OK.

All in all the experience was let down by what I consider the unacceptably small bedroom and the added value freebies, which I didn't use were not compensation enough, at least for me. Not sure I will rush back.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 102 unless you are a small person.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Nancy_Doodeman_GRM, Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the effort of writing a review. It is important to us to hear how the stay of our guest has been. That way we know at what level we have to look for improvement. It is good to see that you enjoyed the service and concept of Banks Mansion. At the moment that a guest is not satisfied we will do our up most best to make sure that we have considered all the options possible to make sure that the service is provided that we stand for. The concept of the hotel consist of a full service concept, the adaptor is one of the few things that we ask a small amount for. Although the first option is a choice from free adaptors that we offer to the guest. We hope that you consider to return and giving us the option to make sure that you will rush back after the second time that you stay with us.

1,295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay. Hotel is well located with decent sized rooms. Breakfast was delicious. Staff was very professional and friendly. very relaxing! Thank you!

We definitely plan to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear guest,

Let me start with ‘your welcome’. It is our pleasure and main goal to make sure that the guests will have a stay to remember. The complete team of Banks Mansion is here to assist, inform and provide the guest with the service that they need. We hope that we can welcome you again for another relaxing stay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I travelled alone, so I wanted a nice place and centrally located. This was a great place. I arrived early, but they gave me a room right away! It is right on the Herengracht Canal. I was a street level on the street, so there was noise into the night. It is right by the Bloemenmarkt so there is alot of traffic and foot traffic. You might want to be off the street or on a higher level maybe. The room was nicely appointed and breakfast was good. The location was perfect. It is walkable to Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum and the Heineken museum/tasting place. It is also walking distance to Jordaan - my very favorite part of town. Anne Frank house is very close to that area. If you are going soon, it doesn't look like the pictures, it is covered with a cloth of some sort.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the street, too much noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Nancy_Doodeman_GRM, Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! We are proud of the very attractive location. Banks Mansion is situated in the middle of the city centre, close to all the sights that Amsterdam has to offer. However, as it is situated in the city center, it is not always that quiet .Therefore the rooms are provided with double windows. But to keep out all the noise will be difficult. To make sure that the guest will have everything that they expect, we will do our very best to give the preferences that they ask for. For instance a room on the back-side of the hotel when a quiet room is requested. At this moment Banks Mansion has a different appearance from the outside; The frames of Banks Mansion are being painted at the moment to maintain the historical building that we are situated in. These renovations will end on the 19th of April. The painters started on the Canal side, this part is finished. A cloth is placed on the street side at the moment. We hope to welcome you again to Banks Mansion.

Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Great boutique Hotel in the Centre of Amsterdam. Only 2 minutes away from Rembrand Square.

Reception and breakfast staff are very professional and true hosts.

Great surprise to see the complimentary snacks and drinks in the hotel lobby/living.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Banks Mansion as your place to stay. We see that you made good use of the values of Banks! Also our thanks for your compliments towards the team. I will make sure that they will receive your note. We hope to welcome you again and let us make sure that you will enjoy the complimentary drinks and appetizers once more during another great stay to remember!

Canadian, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This hotel is pricey, but worth it. First hotel I've been in where the liquor was included! The staff is super, the food was very good and the room impeccable. The hotel is on a canal on a main road. There is a Lott to see within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nancy_Doodeman_GRM, Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your compliments towards the hotel and the team of Banks Mansion. Besides the liquor we can offer the guest a full service concept. The guest has the option to book a Double Deluxe or a Double Deluxe Canal view room. Let me guarantee you that I will leave this motivating review to the complete staff. We hope that we can welcome you again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Quite simply this is an amazing hotel. We loved every second of it. From the moment we checked in (very early) and were given a room straight away and the offer of breakfast to the minute we handed back out iPad and checked out, the staff were brilliant and could not do enough for us.

The rooms are maybe a bit on the small side, but its Amsterdam, so that is to be expected. They are in no way cramped though and have everything you need for a great stay - free mini-bar, bottles of spirits, bathrobes, slippers, the lot. There is even a pillow menu so you can choose the one that is just right for you!

The location is brilliant - right in the heart of everything, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle to be peaceful. You can easily walk everywhere. the only time we took a tram was to/from the train station when we had our cases, but we could easily have walked!

The 'home from home' concept is perfect - everything is included and you simply help yourself to the tea/coffee/snacks/alcohol/juice that is available in The Lounge. Sitting by the fire after dinner with a drink in hand, reading one of the many magazines made available was a very civilised way to spend an evening!

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

joesterreicher, Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Dear guest,

We really appreciate that you have placed such a positive review on Banks Mansion. We see that you made good use of the full service concept, the location and the service of the staff. We hope to welcome you again in the near future and let us try to achieve the ‘home away from home’ feeling with you again.

With kind regard,

Weybridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012 via mobile

A very very nice hotel, in the middle of everything. Great service, lovely atmosphere, wonderful breakfast. We have stayed all over the world and this is a great hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
joesterreicher, Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your excellent review. Especially when the hotel is given such a high review from experienced guests who stayed in a lot of hotels around the world. Let us make sure that your stay will be excellent again next time you book at Banks Mansion.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!