“Lovely hotel & great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

Save Saved
You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Huntsville, Alabama
“Lovely hotel & great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Beautiful hotel with beautiful and convenient location. Delicious breakfast, complimentary drinks and light snacks in the evening are especially nice. Comfortable and inviting lounge/lobby. Staff friendly and very helpful.

1,287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is an excellent hotel convenienty located near loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Included in the room price, the hotel provides complimentary wireless internet in all rooms - (you can also send emails direct from Outlook on your laptop, rather than having to use webmail like some hotels where there is no smtp) and in the lobby, complimentary inhouse movies, complimentary minibar - with softdrinks/water/1 can of beer/cognac/gin/whiskey, in the lobby there are complimentary drinks: water/softdrinks/spirits/wine/beer, and snacks: cheeses/salami/olives/raisin bread/etc, and complimentary buffet breakfast: continental (cereals, bread, cheeses, cold meats, pastries; and hot breakfast (bacon, sausages, eggs cooked to order). The staff are very attentive and pleasant. Room sizes are good, the bed is firm and a pillow menu is offered for four different types of pillows. The bathroom has a large rain shower. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

This hotel is wonderful. Great location, chic decor, and a very friendly and helpful staff. We loved the self service bar and coffee machine in the beautifully decorated lobby. Even though our room was on the ground level overlooking the street, we had no street noise and actually enjoyed a little peole watching from our room. The most amazing thing...stupid me, completely forgot about $360 in cash in my room safe when we checked out. We left our luggage with the front desk staff to do some more sightseeing, and when we came back to claim it (still not realizing my error), the receptionist recognized me and said "room 8, right?" I wondered why she had remembered such a detail but the she told me that they had discovered the money in the safe after we left and proceeded to hand it over to me. I felt like a dolt but was VERY grateful for her honesty. I guess I'll blame it on the jet lag. Anyway, we would definitley use this hotel again if we return to Amsterdam.

Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The hotel has a very nice lobby, staff was very helpful and attentive. Room was a good size for Europe. Great location. The lounge was comfortable to seat in and have complimentary drinks or snacks. We would recommend this hotel and we will stay at their other hotels in the future. Good value. Amsterdam is a great walking city, we like it very much. The only draw back was the amount of litter in the streets, water bottles, cigarettes, paper..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I booked the Banks Mansion from reading other reviews on Tripadvisor. Although there were a few negative comments I wasn't to worried.

Yes, it does cost more than other hotels, but it was a truly wonderful stay. Firstly the staff are so friendly and helpful. They couldn't do enough for all their guests. All staff had a friendly smile.

The rooms were very nicely furnished, one of the reasons I booked this hotel was I wanted something a little different. Normally I would go for the very modern contemporary look, but this hotel is very art deco. It is done in a very nice way too. The bed was very comfortable and had very nice pillows. We had a 3rd floor room, which faced onto the road. Initially I was worried about the noise as I live in a small town which is very quiet. You do get road noise, but at night there is less of it, and after the first night you don't notice it at all. Please don't worry about the road, it really isn't a problem, and after all, you are visiting a city!

The breakfast room in the basement, is very cool and comfortable. The choice of food available is just perfect. I only had cereals, and toast every morning, but you could have eggs freshly prepared for you. The coffee was great too.

The "Living" area was a great place to relax after walking around the city, you can have coffee, wine, beer or spirits all free. They are all named brands, so I don't know what the other reviewer was complaining about. It was a nice place to relax and have a nightcap too, after you have come back from dinner.

I will definitely be coming back to this hotel in the future.

I would like to say thanks to all the staff at this hotel.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I was initially hesitant to book such a pricey hotel, however am so glad I did. Excellent friendly staff, deluxe breakfast every morning with eggs, omlets, bacon, sausage links, crepes, french toast (my favorite), fresh fruit, dozens of bread choices and croissants. The list goes on. We arrived very early, around 9:00am, but were immediately escorted to a room, which allowed us to rest and avoid any jet lag. Also, we were invited to have breakfast which is typically reserved for those who have paid a night's stay. I cannot say enough good things about Banks Mansion. We were welcomed by all of the staff, provided excellent referrals for dinner and much enjoyed the extras included in the room price. The self-serve happy hour with wine, cocktails and excellent cheeses and sausages was a treat. We rarely had to eat a meal out. The room was a bit small and not terribly lavish, however it was comfortable and the overall hotel experience was excellent. I do not know if our travels will bring us back to Amsterdam, but if so, we will stay at Banks Mansion and refer anyone we know to do so as well.

Americus, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I had looked so forward to our stay and the Banks Mansion after reading all the positive reviews. I am afraid that the hotel did not meet my expectations. I did appreciate all the "included amenities" and think that is a nice concept. However we found the hotel to be a bit "rough around the edges". Three examples have had a major impact on my overall view of the hotel. First, the ice bucket in the room. The bucket has no liner or a plastic bag that prevents any kind of infection, etc. The bucket in our room had some clear liquid in the bottom when we arrived! Yuck! We assumed it was melted ice.... but who knows. I called the front desk and informed them of this and they apologized and said they would send a replacement. One never came. This spoke poorly of the guest service staff.
The second thing is that the stairwell was literally quite dusty and needed a very thorough cleaning. I did not use the stairs but used the elevator but my husband did on several occasions and was agast at the dirt.
And third, we asked for a recommendation for a nearby restaurant. We indicated that we wanted something close by, maybe Italian. I use a cane and didn't want to walk very far and said that closeness was more important than gourmet standing of a restaurant at that time. We were directed to go along the canal for some distance in the opposite direction of an Italian restaurant that was just moments away on the same street. Thankfully I had done some research on Trip Advisor and knew we could find something closer...
So even thoogh the room was small we did enjoy the canal view. The room was really quite small and it was difficult to move around with our luggage. I did not feel we got our money's worth as the room was quite expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Banks Mansion? Share your experiences!