“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banks Mansion

You added Banks Mansion to your Saves list
Banks Mansion
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 519-522, 1017 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #10 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Hotel, Very Comfortable & Room very cosy. Staff, outstanding. Perfect Location. Free Minibar, choose your ideal pillow from the pillow menu - You'll feel looked after here - will I stay here again, YES, 100%. Highly recommended. Go for it and enjoy !

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

It's everything you would want in a small wonderful hotel. Once you walk through the doors everything is included in the price. All drinks, mini bar, fast wifi and a made to your order breakfast. There are great down duvets on the beds! Be sure to buy your museum tickets from the hotel for the Fast Line entrance. It is right on a canal and centrally located to all museums and delicious restaurants. Have the reception recommend restaurants for you. Enjoy your visit! Patti

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent two wonderful days and nights in Amsterdam based out of the Banks Mansion. We were greeted on arrival with friendliness and professionalism and shown to an immaculate room. The in-room drinks and snacks were a special treat and the coffee and drinks service in the living room was fantastic. The bed was very comfortable and the rain shower was divine. The Banks Mansion was a cornerstone to an amazing weekend exploring Amsterdam.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed in a Deluxe Room at Banks Mansion for four nights in March 2011. My room was immaculate on arrival and was kept to a high standard of cleanliness by the housekeepers throughout my stay. It was very cosy and had plenty of storage areas for my belongings. When I booked my accommodation, I noticed that it had a shower instead of a bath. I prefer a bath to a shower so I was a bit unsure of my choice, but the shower turned out to be luxurious with plenty of space and a drench option which was perfect for relaxing under after a busy day of sightseeing. The furnishings in both my room and the communal areas were elegant with a stylish, rich colour scheme. My room was ideal for a peaceful night’s sleep – the bed was extremely comfortable and there was virtually no noise from the other guests or the busy street outside. There was a well-stocked complimentary mini-bar and the refrigerator came in handy to keep my own snacks fresh. In addition, there was a complimentary self-service bar in the lounge with a wide range of alcoholic and soft drinks.

The hotel is located in the picturesque Canal Loop and, as the city centre is so easy to get around on foot, it is ideally situated with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

Because I was sightseeing for most of the time, I only ate three times in the hotel. My first meal was a delicious breakfast of cheese, cold meat, crusty bread, pain au chocolat, a croissant, Rice Krispies and orange juice delivered to my room on my first morning which set me up for the day! I also enjoyed two evening meals of tomato soup and vegetable lasagne via room service – both were very tasty!

I found all members of staff who I dealt with to be extremely friendly, polite and helpful, especially one of the receptionists who gave me travel advice on how to get to and from Amsterdam ArenA.

The best things about the hotel were its charm, class and hospitality, and the worst thing? Leaving it behind, of course!

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We recently stayed here for three nights and chose this particular hotel on the strength of the reviews we found on tripadvisor. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and can fully endorse the other good reviews that have gone before. There were a couple of minor niggles which I will come to and we also had a feature in our room that, strangely, is not mentioned anywhere on the hotel's web site and is also not mentioned in any of the last 45 reviews on here. I'll also come to that later.

On arrival, we were greeted by some very friendly and pleasant reception staff who explained where everything was and how everything worked (for example, the free bar area, the internet computers and so on). We were then shown the way to the breakfast room. Breakfast is also included in the price.

Our room was well furnished, if a little on the small side. The bed was one of the best I have slept in for a long, long time and the pillows on the bed were, without doubt, the best quality I have ever encountered in a hotel - and I've certainly stayed in quite a few!! You even had the option of requesting more, or different, pillows from something called the ‘pillow menu’! I kid you not! The large flat screen TV is also equipped with a DVD player and the hotel has a range of DVDs you can borrow for no additional cost. On top of this, the TV has about 30+ channels, including BBC1 & 2, various film channels and, apparently, two 'adult' channels of the type you most certainly will not encounter in the UK - or so I am told! All free!

The bathroom was small, but clean with a full size glass enclosed shower cubicle. Now, here's the unusual feature that has not been mentioned by any previous reviewer. Our shower cubicle doubled up as a personal steam room. It had a stone seat and an electronic button on the wall which turned on the steam. It worked really well - easily as good as you will find in a professional spa. That was something I have never encountered in a hotel room before and which was an interesting find.

The niggles I mentioned above mainly relate to the bathroom. After using the shower, no matter how careful you were, a large amount of water seeped out under the shower door and across the bathroom floor where it lay for hours before drying up. We mentioned this to the front desk who promised to look at it but nothing at all was done about it. It really was a nuisance throughout our time there. On arrival, I discovered that my flimsy plastic glass on the sink was already broken in several places before I had even unwrapped it. I put it in the bin but it was never replaced. Likewise, the second plastic glass broke on day two and was thrown away. That, also, was never replaced. We used up the shampoo and shower gel on the first day. Neither was replaced on the second day, forcing us to use our own toiletries. Fortunately, they were replaced on the third day.

The room minibar contained one solitary can of beer (and no other alcohol), which, when drunk on the first day was... you've guessed it, not replaced the next day! But this was not a big problem as there are half-full spirit decanters in the room and the hotel also didn't mind you taking drinks to your room from the bar downstairs - as long as it was not past midnight as we discovered on coming back in on our last night at about 12.05am. We got a seriously frosty glare from the man on reception who came round to see what we were doing. He didn't say a word but it was clear from the look on his face that he was not at all happy at us taking a couple of beers from his freshly-stocked fridge!

Breakfast was good but nothing to write home about, despite the hyperbole on the hotel's web site! There is a chef who cooks eggs 'live' (according to the web site). That was much nicer than having to select them from a hot buffet.

Was it value for money, bearing in mind the hotel is more expensive than most others in the same category? Overall, I think it was and I would certainly stay here again as we did like the hotel very much. Although it cost more than others, when you factored in the cost you would have had to pay elsewhere for two breakfasts each day and unlimited drinks (at typical hotel prices) you certainly break even.

Finally, I see some reviews mention traffic noise. We had a second floor room overlooking the road outside. The double glazing was so good that we had no traffic noise whatsoever. The room was nice and quiet at all times.

North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Hotel is in a great location for touring central Amsterdam. Staff was very freindly and check in was a breeze. It's nice that the hotel includes drinks, breakfast, and evening snacks in the price. Internet in the lobby on there computers is included, but they only include 50 minutes per day wireless access. For this price range rooms are small (even for Europe), but well appointed. My main complaint would be there was quite a bit of noise both from the road and other guests rooms. If I got a good rate I would return to this hotel, but the "inclusive" stuff probably doesn't make up for the increased cost compared to other hotels.

Northern Virginia, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed here while my husband was attending a conference at the RAI center which Tram 4 runs to right in front of the hotel. It was convenient for getting to RAI and close to Rembrandt Square, Spui, Dam Square, shopping districts and just about everything else. We paid 265 euros for an Executive Room - #306. The room was a decent size with a very comfortable king bed (2 twins), nice duvets, desk, free minibar (toblerone bars every day!), good, large breakfast (free) and snacks all day, drinks, etc. Service was ok - not top notch but they did try hard. We got to check in several hours early and they gave us a free breakfast the day we arrived. I did ask for an extra blanket one night and it took 3 calls down to the desk and over an hour to get it but it got there. The one guy at the desk I guess was new and led us in the wrong direction for a restaurant that the hotel recommended. They staff was generally very nice. We had some trouble using the 50 minute free interenet cards they gave you. Several of them did not work and we had to keep going down to the desk. Also, our room keys had a few issues. This hotel is on a fairly busy corner with trams going by, cars, people. I used my earplugs because I am a light sleeper. We had a great view of the Herengracht canal from our room. Their are 2 doors that open up for fresh air. It was very chilly while we were there. All in all a nice little hotel with good extras that are included in the price. It's in a good location close to the tram and you can walk just about everywhere. The free breakfast is really nice. You can get omlettes, eggs any type, dutch pancakes and french toast from the griddle, their is bacon & sausage everyday, good smoked salmon, lots of fresh fruit, juice, great coffee, cappucinos, teas, hot chocolate, yummy croissants, cereals, all kinds of breads, cheese, ham, yogurt and just about everything else you could want.