“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Bury, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very good service and a good selection of food. Just right for a snack or more if you wish. Excellent views.

Visited August 2013

American In Germany
“A truly awful hamburger”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

As I waited for my room in the hotel to be readied, I had a "Burger and Beer" special in the Brasserie. For 25 euros I got a bottle of Heineken and one of the worst hamburgers I've ever had. While the setting is certainly upscale and comfortable, that is no excuse for such awful hamburger meat. With a Michelin restaurant right downstairs, this is an embarrassment.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“€30 for hamburger, fries, and cappachino/tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Went on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, mostly for the ambiance, sitting on the patio overlooking Amstel River. First thought we would just be ordering coffee/tea but then we realized it was lunchtime and we better get something to eat. But €24 for a hamburger, we had to split it! They did cut it in half for us, served on 2 plates, both with lettuce, tomato and a small bowl of french fries. BUT, hamburger was raw in middle, though we asked for medium well. We ate it anyway, saving receipt in case we got food poisoning and had to sue 8)). AND burger was not tasty. OK, you pay for the seating and the view. We will return for drinks only next time. Oh , and the atmosphere was very "exclusive", we had the feeling that only movie stars and Russian mafia are comfy here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“High quality food in restaurant with a small menu.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was an excellent experience. I chose the 3 course menu, which offered very little choice but included plenty that attracted me, and was very reasonably at 35euros. I had a delicious liver pate, a succulent and well prepared sole with fries and a flavourful salad, and a tempting rhubarb crumble. The views are spectacular- you feel you are right on the river, and the seats are very comfortable.I understand some of the other reviews- it is quiet and the service was slow (but just right for me).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, NL
“Not what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My partner and I were highly disappointed in not only the service but the food. The service was typical Dutch service if you ask us. If you aren't sure what that is, just search it online, there are many jokes and parodies done about dutch service ;)
With that aside, we thought we'd have at least delicious food based on the prices on the LIMITED menu. Not so. The US Steak I ordered was very underwhelming. Cooked medium, like I requested but nothing special. And not worth the 52 euros I paid for it. I've had better steaks for half the price... it was nothing special at all and for that price it was quite sad, really.
My partner had the chicken. While the chicken was cooked well the red wine sauce just didn't do anything special for the chicken dish itself. Again, we were very underwhelmed.
You would think this brasserie, with the stunning views of the Amstel river and within the walls of famous 5 star hotel, you'd have outstanding food and service. Nope! Very disappointed.
If you have the money to spend, I would try the Michelin starred restaurant just a few steps away across the hall... We should have! Although, I must admit our experience at the brasserie made us wonder if the food/service really would be spectacular just down the hall. Maybe we'll try.
The hotel, itself, was beautiful and the service from the reception and concierge was great - no complaints there. Now if they could have a bar/brasserie with delicous food that matched the prices, it would be a winner. (Although they are opening a new bar in the hotel soon which should be interesting to compete with The Convervatorium hotel in Amsterdam).
Amstel Brasserie, redo the limited menu and work on tastier dishes! good luck!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere