“With Jurgen and Susanne on the desk don't expect much of a welcome” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

You added Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 1 - 5, 1012 LG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #109 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“With Jurgen and Susanne on the desk don't expect much of a welcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Arriving at the reception desk for a one night business trip, I was taken aback by the utter ignorance of the clerk, Jurgen. It seemed I was a little close to the man in front. Jurgen issued a command for me to get back and, quite oblivious to his officiousness, could not understand that this was no way to welcome a visitor. I was quite shocked. And so it went on---the reception was more a case of processing inconvenient visitors than welcoming guests.
On leaving, I had the equally dubious pleasure of Susanne, who asked me, not that she cared one iota, if everything was OK. I thought I would share the Jurgen incident and one other point with her. She gave me the "sorry about that" treatment, whilst yawning inwardly.
I could see there was no mileage in that so I also pointed out that the room was dark. Please understand that when I say dark, I mean DARK. Not mood lighting, not atmospheric---DARK. There are bedside lights and one over the desk but if you should have any desire to read a book, either think again or bring a torch. In fact I had to use a torch (thank you iphone) to check the air conditioning control. Why do they do that? A pathetic way of saving money. To be fair the bathroom was quite bright so if you want to read for a couple of hours you could always sit there.
Susanne cared as little about this as about her ignorant colleague. Maybe she trained him. She said that next time I could ask for extra lighting and they will see what they can do. No Susanne---you don't get it. I am not a half blind idiot with the temerity to wish to read a book. This is not me being unreasonable. This is a DARK room, which you already know because it must be hotel policy to make it that way. By now, the smirking Susanne is showing no sign of even pretending to care about anything other than my leaving as soon as possible. She resorts to the last word in customer relations (that's a laugh) with---"I will pass on your comments". Oh dear

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

After reading a few bad reviews of this hotel, I was feeling a little hesitant about our stay at this hotel but my previous worries couldn't have been more wrong.

We had a lovely stay at the Park Plaza. Situated directly opposite Amsterdam Central Station meant we could walk straight from plane to train to our hotel. Dreamy.

We were pretty sure we were supposed to have a small room in the Victoria Wing but we actually put in a suite with the biggest bed I have ever seen and an amazing amount of space in the Urban Wing. I shall miss that bed. It was a lovely, clean room and as many others have stated, extremely up to date and modern which we loved!

Although, we were directly above the main street it was extremely quiet and peaceful. There is a pool, sauna and gym available at the hotel. The pool is small but still very relaxing. We were only one of two or three couples also using these areas at one time so very nice to chill out at after one two many wines or after a busy day exploring.

Easy access to other parts of Amsterdam or out of the city, trams and station located directly opposite hotel.

Staff were friendly and there was even live jazz music at the bar.

All in all an excellent hotel! Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here for three nights over a weekend.Must say I was a bit worried reading some of the reviews but I can't say anything bad about the hotel.We requested an urban room as was advised.The room was perfect.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and couldn't have done any more to help.Nice facilities and pool and the location is fantastic.Directly across from the train station and we walked pretty much everywhere we went, which was well worth it.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Lancashire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Visited this hotel as a member of a party of six. The party leader had given their card number as a security. Expecting to pay individually for our stay, we were told on arrival that the money had been taken out of the leader's account on that day. The reception staff were not helpful in breaking down the prices for us and the invoicing system was complicated so we are still unaware of exactly what it cost for what???? They took a room deposit from one of each couple of which my friend has not yet been refunded and they took the 70 euros out twice!!! We have since heard this is becoming more common in many European city hotels!! The problems we have had with sorting the monies has overshdowed what would otherwise be a great hotel! Location is amazing (a stride from Central Station) and the breakfast is excellent! Rooms are pretty standard and there was a long wait at reception to check out! The bar was lovely with a great atmosphere and a jazz band as entertainment whilst we were there! Advice if planning to go here with a group... Check prices first and ask to pay bills separately! Check your deposit HAS been refunded before you leave!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room upgrade if available
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
shrewbury uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend and also stayed here a few years ago. We were in a room facing the square.the room was clean but yet toilet was smelly it worked ok but smelt. We had requested a quiet end of corridor room which it was not. There is a large amount of noise from the square at all hours if the night and there is a very loud disco nightly nearby which plays until 2am if you want quiet I would suggest the newer annexe at the rear of the hotel.check in appeared to be continually queuing with long waits. We also had lots of noise in the corridors from sadly younger English people which went on for so long at night that security had to be called which did not appear. This resulted in me getting less than two hours sleep and us escorting noisey ignorant English people to reception.I think that in a hotel ofthis quality and if the desire to seek cheap rooms means more young English party goers who are going to make as much noise as they like in or out of their rooms ejecting others from the pool with their noise and language then they had better put on more active security night and day not just in lobbies but on the room floors and project a zero tolerance to such anti social behavior. On the positive I do still believe this to be good hotel with good food and Peter the duty manager was sincerely apologetic and very kind when my wife injured herself in the city and I think he knows there are things to do and I would visit again if those things were done

• Stayed January 2015
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I've stayed in this hotel a couple of times for business and the location cannot be better. The hotel is across from Centraal train station right in the heart of Amsterdam. The rooms are good, temperature well controlled and all modern features present and correct including a decent wifi speed. The only room criticism I'd have would be that the double bed is actually two singles with single covers and a slight gap between them so the feeling is not that of a double. That being said, I had no problem sleeping! The bar next to the lobby is a fun place too with great staff and a good choice of drinks. I didn't try the hotel restaurant for dinner and at €24 for breakfast I didn't try that either! All in all a good base for spending time in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel with a view
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
UK, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just got back from Amsterdam and this hotel made our holiday!
It was just fantastic. We got upgraded twice as it was my partner's birthday(we didin't even asked for it).
Staff were amazing and so polite, always ready to help.
We will def be back again.

Room Tip: Although wifi is free,its not that great at picking it up in the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam? Share your experiences!