“Loyal Customer, tiny room ?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

You added Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 1 - 5, 1012 LG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #110 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Darlington, UK
“Loyal Customer, tiny room ?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

A business colleague and myself stayed here for one night late Oct. I usually stay here, but have noticed the rooms have been getting progressively smaller and tattier. I booked two double rooms, and got two single rooms, my colleagues room was a disgrace.
Never again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear TonyTravels262,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. I am dismayed to read that the wrong rooms where allocated especially because you are a returning guest. I discussed this matter with the reservations and front office manager. Also on behalf of them, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Although another visit to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam does not rank high in your agenda, I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Germany/USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Worth the price for the location but shocked that they charge extra for robes and for use of the sauna.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Kpb1nv,

Thank you for pointing out that our hotel has an excellent location just across the central station.
Due to the specific service the Active Club provides like fitness together with an unique training concept, massages and physiotherapy, we have chosen for an outsourced partner. Our guests can use the swimming pool free of charge, including use of towels and slippers, and we established a 50% cost reduction on the use of other facilities of the Active Club. Unfortunately an outsourced company means that we can not provide every service for free and we apologize that this was not communicated to you before your arrival.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcome you back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam in the near future.

Vantaa, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I was in this hotel a month ago, and liked the room and furniture in it a lot. Only execption... the bathroom which was a far way too little for superiour class room, but really cannot say if it is per room beacause my friend have single room and he have bathroom over 3 size than me and a bathtub in it.

The hotel is very centrally located, right across Amsterdam Central. There are many good restaurants and souvenir shops next to the hotel and of course, this place is near everything, like Trainstation, shopping street etc.
The location of this Hotel is as good you can get if you look the Hotel in Central part of Amsterdam.

The fitness center and sauna is run by a third party and is not included in the room charge. 14.50 Euros/day is far too expensive. And it only runs from 10am-10pm. Like "complimentary" water, which you can buy from room for 6,50€!. Well, it surely is ok to charge from water but, when you pay over 200€ from room i think you really should get some for free too.

Internet connection (even after upgrading to business) is a littlebit slow but works guite well. Breakfast ends at 10am but there are options around the hotel if you need to eat breakfast later. Breakfast was wery nice and have a lot of different options and juices etc.

Room cleaning was very good, like the service also. Fast and helpful.

Ignore the scaffolding on the hotel as its under going renovation, the Hotel from inside is very nice.

In short, If I've to come back with business or family, i would definitely consider this hotel as a good option.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Dear Jukevanta,

Thank you for sharing with the Trip Advisor readers about your stay here at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam. It was really nice to read about your advices on how to travel easy around the hotel and Amsterdam. I have forwarded your compliments regarding the cleanliness of your room.
On a different note, I am sorry that you were slightly disappointed in fact you found the use of our Fitness and sauna too expensive.
I still hope that will see you back here, when travel plans allow you.

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

The hotel itself is good, comfortable. Rooms are clean and efficient - just what you need for a one night business stay. Breakfast is fine. Location is right opposite Centraal Station so perfect for getting about the city.

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times on business and always found it acceptable. However, on this occasion I was put in a room overlooking the main road up to Dam Square. At first, the view was great. I could watch the comings and goings of Amsterdam's finest out of my 1st floor window.

Then I noticed the sound from the road crossing beacons. Tick tick tick it counted down from 50 nice and slowly. Then the little green man came on and tocktocktock at one hundred miles an hour. And then it slowed down to tick tick tick from 50, and then the green man came on
tocktocktock...you get the idea? It turns off automatically at midnight. Blissful silence.

I settled down to sleep, my nerves frayed around the edges. Wonder what time it starts again. I probably nodded off around 3am expecting it to go off any minute. 6 AM !!! What an alarm call. That's 5am UK time. I arrived in the office like a zombie, tick tick tick on countdown in my head.

My advice, take earplugs if staying on the first floor overlooking the road.

Room Tip: If you get a 1st floor room overlooking the road, ask for a change of room, unless you are not plann...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear RoytonBrowns,
it is disappointing to hear of your discomfort on your last visit but re-assuring nonetheless to know that you have previously found our hotel to be acceptable for one night business stays, given the fact that the rooms are clean and the location is perfect for getting around the city centre.
Being a regular guest you will know that we endeavour to provide a warm and hospitable service to all our guests because we believe that our guest deserves the very best! I am profoundly sorry to discover that your sleep patterns were interrupted to such an extent that you went to work feeling fatigued. This should not occur and I apologize for it.
In the light of your unfortunate tale, we will communicate this with the local authorities here in Amsterdam and see if they can persuade the little green man to have more rest too. After all, he works very hard and it would be in everyone’s interest if he too went to sleep at a respectable hour, say from 11.00pm to 6.00am. We could also assure him that any blind people in the neighborhood are unlikely to be patrolling the streets at this unearthly hour anyway so he can switch off and get some much needed sleep like the rest of us!
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011 via mobile

Situated bang opposite Amsterdam Central station, this lovely hotel is friendly, clean, ideally located for the main touristy bits that Amsterdam has to offer. My wife and i visited in early nov 2011. Our room in the Victoria annexe was modern and clean and although overlooking the busy bus, train and tram station was surprisingly quiet with the window shut. Very big and comfy beds. Lovely big shower. Mini bar was expensive, but that's hotel's the world over. An ideal place to collapse after a hard day sightseeing. Breakfast was spot on, a wide range of choice to suit everyone and fill up before the busy day ahead. The hotel advertised a swimming pool, it's more of a large bath, a slight exaggeration maybe, but a couple of breast strokes and the length is done. But really I came to Amsterdam to see Amsterdam and not swim so the size of pool was of no importance. Didn't really call upon the staff but reception, concierge, cleaners and restaurant staff were very pleasant and spoke excellent English as does everyone in this superb city. Highly recommend this hotel as a base for your visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2011
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Dear Del1971
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are proud of our hotel, its location and facilities and always pleased to read positive feedback. Hope we will welcome you again soon. Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed there for 1 night was excellent, room was so modern and location fantastic just next to the central station . You can walk to every attraction from there. Staff was brilliant specially reception very professional quick check in very polite. I would stay there again and reccomend to friends.

Room Tip: Ask reception to upgrade your room for 10 euro to modern part of hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
DearRado1986,

Thank you for your review, its great to read your kind comments especially from a business traveller.
I am glad that you enjoyed the rooms and the location.

Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I remembered in a previous visit that we were always getting onto a tram to the station, as it was the starting place for so many trips etc. I also remembered the station forecourt as being very pleasant. So I though that I would choose a hotel next to the station for convenience.
Well the hotel is very conveniently located for the station so no need for a taxi etc.and all trips start and end there. However with the current subway building works the station forecourt is not very pleasant. I must say that during our stay there was no noise or dirt form the building works, but the area is a bit of a mess with hoardings around a big hole in the ground. We stayed for a week on holiday. The atmosphere is very 'lively' and busy with many people rushing around either for work or play. This was too lively for a relaxing holiday. I think that for a weekend it would be ideal as the general hubbub and mess of the area didn't wear me down until about day 3.
The buffet breakfast was excellent but very expensive if not included in the deal. We paid 23€. In the end we usually had coffee and a la carte breakfast in the public cafe, or there are other cafes nearby. (We tried the next door McDonalds, which as a rule is OK for breakfast, but must say the Damrak branch is not very salubrious)
Immediately before we left I read reviews that said that the hotel was infested with rodents - I am happy to report that we did NOTencounter a single one. An Italialian restaurant in Damrak has a resident cat which wandered amongst the diners. In normal circumstances I might find this offputting, but in this case found it re-assuring.
Re the room - it was fine. It was relatively spacious for a city centre hotel with plenty of storage space. The decor was a bit brown, but it was fine. The room was quiet and we slept well.
The room servicing was interesting - we felt that the chambermaid was playing mind-games with us. On putting used towel in the bath to indicate replace it, the old one was taken away but not replaced. it got that we were scared to repeat that experience in case we ended up with no towels, so hung our used towels up to dry. Admitttedly we did get a fresh set eventually. At the start of the stay the range of toiletries was one of best I have ever seen in a hotel - including emergency toothbrushes and shavers etc. all there without having to ask. However the replacement of the said toiletries was not good. A perfectly good soap bar, used on one occasion was removed on day 2 and not replaced, ever. We switched to bath gel while it lasted, but on the final day I washed with shampoo. Despite leaving hints about the black tea situation - replacement of tea and creamer was a bit hit-and miss as well.
In summary - the main reason that I wouldn't stay in this hotel again is that the location is a bit TOO lively/messy for me, and I next time I would choose somewhere a little more laid-back/neat and tidy. However the location would be absolutely ideal for someone staying for a weekend break as it is so centrally located and handy for the station.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Lepida,
Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. Sorry to hear you found the location of the hotel a bit too lively. We are indeed located at the most central part of the city. As a matter of fact many other Tripadvisor users give the good suggestion of using the public transport (Central Station is opposite Hotel) which makes it very easy to travel to the hotel. We look forward to welcome you back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when your travel brings you back to the area.
Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Been to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam? Share your experiences!