“First time to Amsterdam, I work in vacation rentals and am a stickler for hygiene and good service!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Tropen Hotel

You added Amsterdam Tropen Hotel to your Saves list
Amsterdam Tropen Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Linnaeusstraat, 2C | Amsterdam East, 1092 CK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Amsterdam Tropen)   |
Ranked #152 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'm a native Londoner. I went to Amsterdam for the first time in June '13 to celebrate my birthday and the reuniting of my partner and I after 4 months apart.

I, like some others that have posted, purchased my stay in NH Tropen via a Lastminute package.

I read some reviews once I had booked and became a bit nervous as some were stating that the service was terrible, the staff unhelpful and the rooms unclean etc.

Upon arrival I realised how excellent the location was, the tram link was outside the hotel and it took 10 minutes to get to Centraal. The lady I encountered at the desk was obliging, patient and helpful with all my queries regarding check-in, luggage storage and local info. They then accommodated an early check-in for me at 10am as they had a readily prepared room. I was MOST pleased.

The receptionist escorted my partner and I to our room which was a perfect size for our short stay, CLEAN with a big window letting in lots of natural light. The towels were clean as were the bed linens which was the main thing for me! The wifi connection as strong and didn't fail me as I also had to touch base with work.

Considering I had paid £130 for a 2 night package including a return flight and taxes I got more than what I had paid for.

Granted the architect didn't have the keenest eye, the outside of the building is very art deco (not a personal fan) but one can still appreciate it. Especially in amongst all the luscious green trees surrounding it despite being in a city (greenery is refreshing as I live in central London).

The following morning we took advantage of their breakfast buffet, they had everything one could possibly want for breakfast, then went out to explore Amsterdam on a full stomach.

After reaching back to the hotel very late and realising most food places close early, my partner and I were ravenous so we hit Just-Eat website. Unfortunately, I do not speak or understand the language which made ordering very difficult and as a result a bag of frozen food was delivered! On a whim I went down to reception, the young man that was on night duty just about managed to hold back his giggles after informing him of my mistake and offered to cook our food! Keeping in mind this was around 3am. What a sweet-heart! I was absolutely over the moon and so grateful!

Check-out was a breeze and the lady wished us well on our journey.

I would like to thank all the staff for making our stay a very pleasant one.

I will stay again in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the building on a higher floor have a lovely view of the treetops.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
beccles suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

this was a secret hotel in a lastminute package - and what a very nice surprice having been to amsterdam for over 30 visit this was the first in this area. Right next to a park - with park view from our window, large spacious room and very friendly staff. As for the distance from central the tram stop straight outside. The walk in was a lovely stroll especially in the sunshine and best of all close enough to bars, rembriendsplein & liedersplien areas. we didnt eat in the hotel - however supermarket within 200 mtrs along with local bar/resturant. Due to location a lovely nights sleep

Room Tip: room facing park for a lovely night sleep
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The NH Hotels look better in the pictures than in the reality, the rooms look like they would need a refurbishment and the overall price for this hotel is to high for the value it provides. The location was ok, near a tram line that goes directly to the center. The Internet works very bad and the breakfast is ok but not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel is in a quiet residential neighbourhood. Staff are helpful, rooms are nice and clean. Internet connection, like in the other NH hotels, is free of charge but accessible with the vouchers available at the reception that you need to renew every 24 hrs. The highlights of NH Tropen were the healthy organic breakfast options provided in the morning, and the laundry room on the ground floor which includes a washing mashine, drier and iron & ironing board. You can operate the machines with 2 tokens bought at the reception for 5 euros. Also for people checking out very early in the morning, the hotel makes a nice gesture leaving tea, coffee and cookies in the lobby.
The neighbourhood is very cosmopolitan and lively, but seems mostly safe. There are many shops, cafes, beer houses and restaurants nearby. A large park with a lake, tropical museum and zoo are nearby attractions. City center is very accessible either by taking tram 9 in front of the hotel, or walking for 30 min. The hotel also rents bicycles in this very cycling-friendly city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cluj-napoca, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at NH Tropen hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was tidy and comfortable. The breakfast was varied and healthy. And there were bunnies playing in the park next to the hotel:) I definitely enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The only thing I can criticize about the hotel was the Internet speed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the NH Tropen for 3 nights. It is in a fantastic location, situated right next to the beautiful and idyllic Oosterpark and various pubs/cafes in the area. The Roots Festival took place while we were staying there and we went on the last day and had a blast.

The no.9 tram takes you straight to the hotel and the journey time is only 8 minutes so do not take any notice of when other reviewers moan about it being right outside the centre of everything, the journey is so straightforward . This is my 6th time to Amsterdam and staying at the Tropen made this trip even more memorable.

We ate out for the duration of our stay so I cannot comment on what the food tasted like in the hotel. I do know they charge €19 for breakfast which is a bit pricey. The bars on the main strip were pretty expensive too, I paid €7.50 for a Corona beer, that was from Teasers bar. If you look around you would most likely find it cheaper. On the last night we found a lovely Indian restaurant called Memories of India. The food was to die for and the service was excellent.

Back to the Tropen, on arrival the receptionist was very pleasant and helpful although I did have to pay €8 City Tax. The room was lovely and as I had requested in advance we got a comfy double bed rather than twin beds and a beautiful view oveooking Oosterpark. The shower was very powerful, I could have stayed underneath it all day!

For anyone wishing to stay here I would definitely say go for it. To me it is in a brilliant location, the supermarket is across the road and there was a hair and beauty shop which specialised in Afro-Carribean products which was a godsend as most of my toiletries were confiscated at the airport!!

We would without a doubt stay at the Tropen again. I love Amsterdam :)

• Stayed July 2013
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Aside from the poor lighting in the bathroom, broken light-up mirror and lack of any mirror outside the bathroom vanity - it was fine! Small room but clean, comfortable, nice staff, in-room wifi, tram stop outside hotel, not far from town center by tram (10 minutes), very nice but expensive breakfast buffet. Windows in room 404 faced the main street - nice view and the windows opened up. Strange toilets... (but then I'm American). I rather liked it! (But then I rather liked everything about Amsterdam!)

Room Tip: Make sure the bathroom light-up makeup mirror works, and check if there is a mirror outside the bath...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Tropen Hotel? Share your experiences!