“Ideal home base location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Best Western Rewards Rate
Ranked #143 of 351 Hotels in Amsterdam
Long Beach, California
“Ideal home base location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Best Western Dam Square Inn on July 12, 2014 for two nights. We flew from Berlin Tegel to Schipol, took the 4 euro train to Central Station and walked south towards the square on crowded Damrak for about 10 minutes. The hotel is kind of hidden away in a narrow pedestrian street (Gravenstraat), and if you enter from the square side (Eggertstraat) the street looks like a foreboding narrow back alley. Overall it probably took about 30-40 minutes from buying train tickets at the airport to hotel check in.

I booked this hotel based off the pleasant experiences we had with the Best Westerns in Rimini and Venice last year. I had considered that the close proximity to Dam Square might mean a lot of noise, especially with the final two World Cup games going on during our stay. But as this was my friend's first visit to Amsterdam I thought the central location would make an ideal home base for him to explore the area, which he did on his own in earnest. Check in was very quick and our room was towards the back, so it was a lot quieter than I anticipated. Views outside the windows were literally of the windows of the neighboring building about two feet away. Unlike our hotel in Berlin the room was air-conditioned and ice was only available from the bar, but at least it was available (no mini ice box). Bathroom was medium sized with a shower but no tub and one shower towel per person and a single hand drying towel. Coffee machine, TV and free multi-device wifi (slow) round out the room amenities. The light continental breakfast bar was very typical: bread items, dry cereals, yogurt, and a selection of sliced meats and cheeses. Enough to start your day. Overall the amenities were more than sufficient to serve as home base, as my friend and I were out so much exploring this great city.

Although the amenities are the adequate budget level that Best Western is known for the Dam Square Inn can command higher room rates due to the location. Right outside the doorway you are exposed to the huge plethora of cafes, restaurants, banks/currency exchange, attractions and multitude of various shops that permeate the immediate area. Within a ten minute walk are Damrak, the Red Light District, Anne Frank House, Central Station and Amsterdam Museum. Numerous tram and bus lines conveniently crisscross thru and around Dam Square and will take you anywhere in town.

If you are a first time visitor to Amsterdam the Best Western Dam Square Inn is ideally located in the center of it all, allowing you to explore the city centrum from Dam Square outward to the surrounding canal streets like the layers of an onion. Amenities are adequate, bordering on spartan, but this is a Best Western after all. Prices for this central home base convenience are on the higher side. But after seeing how my friend was able to freely explore the whole city centrum on his own without any problems I think it was worth it. If I were to revisit Amsterdam with a friend who has never visited the city before, I'd probably stay here again. If I were on my own or with friends who've been here before and know the area, I'd probably try to get more bang for my buck somewhere on the outer layers of the onion.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Good location in Amsterdam. The street is pedestrian so cabs can't park in front of the hotel but that makes this a quiet location.
Breakfast was plentiful. Free wifi is available. The staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. They will do what they can to help you.
The tram is at the end of the street. I felt very safe at this hotel. We booked this hotel based on it's location and I would go there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Souderton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel was in a great location -- 10 minute walk to the train station and off Dam Square so that it wasn't right in the noisy area of town. The New Church was right across the alley from the hotel, and there were a few cute little restaurants right out the front door. The room was a decent size and quite clean. The breakfast room was bright and modern; the selections were decent if not outstanding. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Firstly I have to say the staff were fantastic. I arrived with a severely sprained foot and in a wheelchair. They did everything they could assist. The room is basic, but we weren't in it much. The location is great and easy to get to. You are 2 metres from your first coffee shop, 3 mins from clothing shops and lots of them, there is a big mall pretty at end if the street across the road and 10min walk to red light district.

Stayed July 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We chose this hotel for location, location, location and it was a perfect choice! Danielle at the front desk is truly delightful and assisted us in many ways; namely getting us a room quickly after our long day of travel. Thanks you, Danielle! However, the hotel could us some major upgrades like new carpeting and room furnishings. But, it's clean, convenient, and reasonable priced with breakfast included.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have just spent 5 days in Amsterdam and had a wonderful time. The hotel was in the middle of all the activities just a 10 minute walk from Central Station. The room was clean and tidy, and the right size for the 2 of us with a shower room as well. I was concerned when I saw we were next to the stairs, but thankfully did not hear any noise at all from there or anywhere else in the hotel. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful - no full english but plenty of fruit, cereals, meat and various breads. Coffee or Tea and other juices too. Highly recommended and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Our room was 110 - it did face other buildings but we weren't in there long enough to worry abou...