“Amazing location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection

You added The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 67, 1012 RE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #85 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Amazing location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend for a long weekend in March 2014, and we were immediately struck with how quick it was to walk to from Central Station. It was also within a 2 minute walk of Dam Square, and 5 minutes from the Red Light District, where all the pubs, cafes and shops (and the obvious) were.

We didn't make use of the bar/restaurant so I can't comment on that, but know they had a happy hour cocktail deal that I should have taken advantage of!

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, and it didn't feel forced as it does in some places we've stayed before.
The room was very small, but big enough to move around and put cases on the floor. Very clean (which is important to me), and tidy.

I would definitely stay at The Convent again, the price when we stayed and proximity to the main tram lines, the city generally and central station made it an absolute gem.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let's start with the positives. Great location in the heart of things; close to train station without being in a grungy area. (Which is often tough when close to stations.) Generously-sized room. Friendly, cheerful staff. Great bar ... not very crowded ... with comfy chairs, a fun cocktail list and a fine bartender. Fabulous for recovering post-sightseeing. Clean rooms. Not a bad price for a big, central hotel in a European capital. And it's almost unfair to complain about a freebie ... we stayed here on my husband's accrued Club Accor points.

However ... the hotel lacked the fine touches and comfort I would associate with a four star, and was completely lacking in the charm the website had led me to expect.

Our room was large and attractive. Though it featured its own temperature controls, this didn't work very well. It was warm and stuffy, and the windows didn't open. The upholstery on the main chair in the room was shot; too uncomfortable to sit on. And one of the plugs behind the desk didn't work. The bed featured a mattress topper which, in theory, should have made it more comfortable ... but I suspect was hiding problems with the mattress. I don't think anyone had fluffed it for months, the whole thing was skewed two inches off centre and sloped. Whatever the case, the bed was lumpy and uneven. My most basic criteria for a hotel is that I get a good night's sleep ... something I didn't accomplish until I got home.

The website led me to expect something special in the building. MGallery is marketed as a portfolio of hotels in historic venues, the "convent" was made much of here. I was expecting neo-gothic architecture, chapels, whatever. Turns out that the convent was in the distant past; the buildings were more recently a newspaper office. There's nothing special here. It's a low-ceilinged, pokey lobby, and most of the décor looks tired, circa 1980s. I wouldn't mind this in a value hotel; my issue is that their marketing promises something they don't deliver.

Good enough for a free visit but it makes me very wary of the "luxury" and architectural distinction promised by other MGallery hotels. Doubt I would seek them out unless cashing in more Accor points.

Room Tip: Avoid 445 until they do some work!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Very helpful staff and a good central location. We booked a 'queen' size bed but it was quite small and the rooms were clean but also compact. A reliable option to see Amsterdam but don't expect too much of the rooms. Although it does have a lovely bar - fab cocktails from 5-7pm for just 5.50 euros!

• Stayed March 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My friend and I stayed in The Convent in March, a great loacation, we had a twin room, the room was compact but was very clean and the beds were so so comfy, breakfast was good not sure if it was worth the price, but it's a city! we also has a sharing platter in the bar with drinks, this was great about 12 euros and plenty to nibble on. Receiption was very helpfull and the hotel was clean and well maintained, I was told that this hotel is getting a refurb in the very near future, we would stay again.

Room Tip: Room away from lifts
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed in The Convent Hotel in March 2014. The room was clean and spacious but in need of updating and the shower which was in the bath flooded the floor every morning.

Despite this, the location of the hotel is very good and it was no problem walking to all the main sights. There's 2 trams that pull up right outside that will bring you to The Rijks Museum and Van Gogh Museum as they are a little further.

The breakfast is excellent and will set you up for day : good selection of breads, bacon, eggs, fruit, muffins and pastries.

I'd also recommend a restaurant near the hotel - Humphrey's on Nieuwezids Kolk - set 3 course meal for €24.95 which is very good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife treated me to a weekend in Amsterdam for my birthday and she chose the Convent hotel. Don’t let the name put you off, it’s a lovely place. As we were checking in, a man who was checking out told us we would have an enjoyable stay, and he was right. Our room was clean and spacious and the restaurant and bar areas were comfortable and welcoming. The staff were brilliant and very helpful. The hotel is well situated for easy access to everything in Amsterdam. Just a 10 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station, the canal boat trips and being run over by more bicycles than you have probably ever seen! Treat yourself and have a great time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!