“Good Lodgings, Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection

Save Saved
You added The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 67, 1012 RE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #76 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Good Lodgings, Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Convent Hotel in Amsterdam. As usual, the service was fine and the location is fine. The hotel itself is in need of an update, but the pricing itself reflects this. It is good value for money.

I had also been pushed to the Sofitel Grand Hotel due to an overbooking. As expected, the hotel is great, although the location is a little further from the Center. This is an expensive hotel! My concern with the hotel is the overall attitude of the staff, which is one of "do these customers deserve to stay here?" I am not impressed and this attitude alone makes the Sofitel Grand Hotel one of my least favourite in Amsterdam. I have experienced this several times when staying there and watched it occur repeatedly to other guests as I waiting to check out in the lobby.

The Sofitel Grand also does not honor Le Club status and benefits. I have also seen this repeatedly. This hotel has forgotten that 80% of their revenue comes from 20% of their guests (Platinum members being an even smaller percentage) and will not honor late check-out, or other components of your Le Club status (I was told they were "overbooked" so could not honor my status even though multiple rooms were available online ... I was also staying in their most expensive room on a Monday - one not likely to be utilized on a day to day basis). As a frequent Accor / Sofitel guest world-wide, I was far from impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

6 of us stayed here for one night, we could only afford it as we had vouchers from staying in so many hotels before... However if you are coming to Amsterdam and have the cash I would definitely recommend this hotel. Grand and comfortable, the bathroom was a little bit of a let down and needed touching up, but was more then acceptable. The facilities in the room were as expected, the room was clean and the bed comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our experience at The Convent Hotel was great. After a long flight, this was a hotel which we could relax in and enjoy a good nights sleep. The location is fantastic, right around the corner from Dam Square, and meters away from canals. The room size was comfortable, with a lovely view of the main street outside our windows. The bathroom was also a great size, with a good quality shower.

The staff were pleasant, however didn't speak much English. There was free wifi, which worked in the rooms, however it didn't load some social media sights.

Overall it was a very cute hotel, and I would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ConventAmsterdam, General Manager at The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your positive comment, I really appreciate that you shared your experience.
Can you contact me personally about your remark that the staff does not speak much English? I am very curious who you mean with this.

Joachim.delooij@accor.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My nice experience with this hotel started even before we arrived. I had messed up with the reservation dates, and got charged the non-refundable fee for the wrong dates. One call directly to the hotel's reservation department resolved this issue. A very nice lady in the resevation department rebooked for the correct dates, even though I had to pay an extra Euro 180 for two nights, it was still better to lose the already charged money.

The stay was pleasant as well . The location is good with an easy access to the Central station (7 minute walk), Damrak and Red Lights. However, if you have more than one suitcase, it will require some physical effort to get to the hotel because of narrow pavements.

The room was just fine, spacious, clean and with all the amenities you expect from a good 4 star.

Ladies at reception were quite helpful and smiling (unfortunately, a rare feature in most of Accor hotels).

So, all in all, this hotel is better than its peers and neighbours Renaissance and Swissotel, where I have stayed before in Amsterdam, and where I was unimpressed by the size of rooms and quality of staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you for sharing yourpositive experience. I am very pleased with your comments about the friendlyness of our staff.

I hope to welcome you again in The Convent Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have visited Amsterdam on eight occasions staying in different hotels of the same star rating, This was by far the best hotel for that rating and price. The hotel is ideally located, less than a 10 minute walk from the Central Railway Station. When we checked in we were concerned that we had been allocated rooms immediately opposite the lift doors on the first floor and that it would have been noisy; it was not. On the contrary it is probably the quietest hotel we have ever stayed in in Amsterdam. There were no loud or rowdy guests coming and going at all hours of the night as we had previously experienced in Amsterdam; our rooms were located at the side of the hotel which probably helped. The rooms were spotless; and yes a bit "tired" but large (for Europe) and well maintained. The beds were comfortable and they had great pillows. We all commented on how well we slept. The bar was very welcoming and comfortable.... a place with real character. You should also check out the cocktail happy hour ..... as we did!. There are no safes in the rooms but safe deposit boxes are available at no charge at reception. Getting access to these was no problem for the staff who in all their dealing with us were pleasant and professional. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Amsterdam and when I go again I will certainly stay here. We did not include breakfast in our rate as Greenwoods café is only a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

what a great review you wrote about your stay. thank you very much for this!

I hope to welcome you again in The Convent Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Scary bathroom with broken and old tiles...feel like in a hostel rather than a hotel. I have stayed in other Mgallery hotels and this is totally of different rank. Dirty bedsheets... Although convenient location but will not return... Forgot to mention the bed is not comfortable

• Stayed June 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for sharing your experience. Unfortunately you did not like your stay. I am very sorry for this. I will share your comments to my team.

Joachim

Been to The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!