“Best Hotel I've ever stayed in.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (De Pijp)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Lake Forest, California
“Best Hotel I've ever stayed in.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We were upgraded for free to a Jr. Deluxe Suite and when the person bringing our bags up found out it was our honeymoon, room service came up with complimentary Chardonnay and chocolates with a card wishing us a lifetime of love and happiness!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Thank you for you visit and great comments. We will pass these compliments to our team! ~Hotel Okura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I stayed at The Okura on a business trip in August. For something which is supposedly a member of "The Leading Hotels of the World" I found it very disappointing. I arrived at the hotel by own car. Normally in five star hotels they have Valet parking but here a surly front man pointed me to a dimly lit underground parking garage. Check in was fine although I was SHOCKED when I asked about the fitness center. Yes - they had one but it was an additional €15 to use. INCREDIBLE. I was already paying more than € 200 for the room. I have never seen this before. The room itself looked like something that might have once upon a time been considered "grand" but the furniture was faded, fixtures old fashioned and the air conditioning did not work properly.
Finally in the morning the extremely expensive buffet breakfast was the poorest selection I have ever seen in a five star hotel. I left quickly and I don't think I will be coming back. Nothing majorly wrong if you were paying € 80 and this advertised itself as a medium hotel. However luxury it IS NOT!

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We take every comment very seriously and will look into these very closely. ~Hotel Okura
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

We had a wonderful stay in a beautiful room with a beautiful view. The service was perfect.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Assen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

I've stayed in Okura last week for one night. It was great; we entered the lobby and a porter came by immediately. At check-in he explained how we could travel to the center in the best way (the hotel is not as far away from the city center as it seems!) and carry our luggage. Breakfast very extended and fresh, though I missed some bread variation. But the smoothies were delicious!
Would definitely stay there again, the corner room we had was very spacious and clean and the iron board very welcome.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Thank you for staying with us, thank you for your breakfast suggestion. ~The Management.
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had (again) an excellent stay at the Okura hotel last weekend. The Executive junior suite is a nice spacious suite with dramatic views over Amsterdam. The Okura is the only hotel in Amsterdam that can offer these views. The refurbishments off the rooms, lobby and restaurants over the past years have been extensive and led to great improvement. Look forward to the opening of the new hotel bar is August and the repositioning of the breakfast room to the serre. With the variety of restaurants (of witch two Michelin star restaurants) and a sky bar the hotel has great F&B facilities. The health club, with sauna, gym and large swimming pool is very relaxing. Which brings me on the only down side, there is no possibility to relax outside the health club although you can see the beautiful Japanese garden through the windows.
Marcel Schlaman.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights on our way from Mexico to South Africa for the Soccer World Cup. Good location and nice designed rooms with japanese touches. Amazing views. Very good variety of restaurants but expensice. Service was personal and friendly. Greeted with name every day. Unusual in a big hotel .Good business facilities. One of my friends forgot travel documents in Mexico and the staff organised it that he received it before we left. Nicely done. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed here for one week for a meeting in June 2010. I chose to stay here for the convenience because the hotel was the location of the conference.

Lobby/Reception: I found the lobby rather nice for meeting people in, there are a number of sofas and chairs that can be used for small meetings or waiting for colleagues. It was clean, open, brightly lit, it is very stark and sparse in style. The front desk staff was very nice and competent - no problems there and they let us check out the night before we left so we could go straight to the airport. Unlike another reviewer, I was happy with the concierge. We put him into service a number of times, from directions to the Pijp market area to restaurant suggestions to shopping suggestions. The elevators were enough to accommodate everyone, I never waited inordinately long for one.

Rooms: My room was very nice, with a great view of the canal, the stadium, etc. I loved how I could put the shade up between the bathroom and the rest of the room, and see the outdoors, the TV, etc. from the bath. The shower is nice - has the handheld and the rainshower parts both. The TV is a flat screen, best viewed from the chair near the window. Lots of channels in a number of different languages. There was a safe that worked well, big closets, and a minibar fridge that didn't have sensors so you could put your own food into it. (Although considering a block up the street was the Savoy that had free minibar items and free coffee, tea and continental breakfast...) It was annoying that there wasn't even a hot pot with tea bags or coffee maker in the room. Comfortable pillows and duvet. However, you cannot change the thermostat, which was annoying. I arrived during a cold spell, and didn't have clothing as warm as I needed for sleeping and being in the room - I tried to change the temperature, but it was stuck at 20 degrees C. I thought it was my room but my colleagues had the same complaint! What's the use of having individual thermostats in your rooms if the guests can't make use of them?

Location: At first I wasn't thrilled with this location. It is outside of the downtown area. But as I spent more time in the Pijp I liked it more. There are a couple of tram lines that are right there - five minutes outside the hotel to both the right and the left there are tram stops = and the lines take you to the downtown areas. Get the map from the front desk or concierge. Also, it is very near to the Albert something or other market, which is really nice and has a LOT of bars and restaurants all over the place. It's also near a delightful park where tons of people hang out and is really pleasant. There are a number of great restaurants within 2 blocks, including some steakhouses, the best Caprese salad I have ever had, lots of Japanese restaurants that I didn't try, and a great local breakfast and coffee place called "@7". There are three grocery stores within three blocks as well.

Restaurants: Actually, I wouldn't know. They were so expensive there's no way I could eat there. (The concierge responded appropriately and didn't seem to judge when we asked for recommendations of casual, inexpensive places.) Breakfast alone would have been 30 euros. Some colleagues were caught between meetings and got sandwiches in the bar - they were like cold cut sandwiches on wheat bread - and we got the ,2L of coke to sip while accompanying them - their sandwiches were 25 euros and our sodas almost 5 euros. Insane! Luckily there are some great restaurants nearby.

Extras: This was my biggest issue. EVERYTHING was an extra. Want to use the gym? That'll be 15 euros. Want internet? 17 euros. I sucked it up and did the gym twice, but only when I made sure I had enough time to use EVERYTHING and take full advantage of it. No 15 euros to hop on the treadmill or stairmaster for half an hour and done. No, I took full advantage of the 18 meter pool to swim 2km each time (it is a very nice pool, but they don't use lanelines and it got choppy to try and swim with 3 people in the pool - don't know what would have happened if there had been a fourth), I also used the sauna, the jacuzzi, the tanning booth in the ladies locker room, even the showers and their own conditioner, shampoo and body wash. BTW, the pool was cold and jacuzzi not all that warm either - it was fine for me but it wasn't normal. The locker setup was nice, you could have a locker with a key, which you could fasten around a wrist and ankle while you swam or worked out, so you could have hands free and not worry about it. There were some machines and a couple of free weights but not a whole lot there. I went elsewhere for internet. At this caliber of hotel I would expect these items to be included, as well as at least a continental breakfast.

All in all, it turned out fine, but I would not stay here again. For the money - and also on principle - there are places just as good where you get a lot more for the money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business