“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #20 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had (again) an excellent stay at the Okura hotel last weekend. The Executive junior suite is a nice spacious suite with dramatic views over Amsterdam. The Okura is the only hotel in Amsterdam that can offer these views. The refurbishments off the rooms, lobby and restaurants over the past years have been extensive and led to great improvement. Look forward to the opening of the new hotel bar is August and the repositioning of the breakfast room to the serre. With the variety of restaurants (of witch two Michelin star restaurants) and a sky bar the hotel has great F&B facilities. The health club, with sauna, gym and large swimming pool is very relaxing. Which brings me on the only down side, there is no possibility to relax outside the health club although you can see the beautiful Japanese garden through the windows.
Marcel Schlaman.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights on our way from Mexico to South Africa for the Soccer World Cup. Good location and nice designed rooms with japanese touches. Amazing views. Very good variety of restaurants but expensice. Service was personal and friendly. Greeted with name every day. Unusual in a big hotel .Good business facilities. One of my friends forgot travel documents in Mexico and the staff organised it that he received it before we left. Nicely done. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed here for one week for a meeting in June 2010. I chose to stay here for the convenience because the hotel was the location of the conference.

Lobby/Reception: I found the lobby rather nice for meeting people in, there are a number of sofas and chairs that can be used for small meetings or waiting for colleagues. It was clean, open, brightly lit, it is very stark and sparse in style. The front desk staff was very nice and competent - no problems there and they let us check out the night before we left so we could go straight to the airport. Unlike another reviewer, I was happy with the concierge. We put him into service a number of times, from directions to the Pijp market area to restaurant suggestions to shopping suggestions. The elevators were enough to accommodate everyone, I never waited inordinately long for one.

Rooms: My room was very nice, with a great view of the canal, the stadium, etc. I loved how I could put the shade up between the bathroom and the rest of the room, and see the outdoors, the TV, etc. from the bath. The shower is nice - has the handheld and the rainshower parts both. The TV is a flat screen, best viewed from the chair near the window. Lots of channels in a number of different languages. There was a safe that worked well, big closets, and a minibar fridge that didn't have sensors so you could put your own food into it. (Although considering a block up the street was the Savoy that had free minibar items and free coffee, tea and continental breakfast...) It was annoying that there wasn't even a hot pot with tea bags or coffee maker in the room. Comfortable pillows and duvet. However, you cannot change the thermostat, which was annoying. I arrived during a cold spell, and didn't have clothing as warm as I needed for sleeping and being in the room - I tried to change the temperature, but it was stuck at 20 degrees C. I thought it was my room but my colleagues had the same complaint! What's the use of having individual thermostats in your rooms if the guests can't make use of them?

Location: At first I wasn't thrilled with this location. It is outside of the downtown area. But as I spent more time in the Pijp I liked it more. There are a couple of tram lines that are right there - five minutes outside the hotel to both the right and the left there are tram stops = and the lines take you to the downtown areas. Get the map from the front desk or concierge. Also, it is very near to the Albert something or other market, which is really nice and has a LOT of bars and restaurants all over the place. It's also near a delightful park where tons of people hang out and is really pleasant. There are a number of great restaurants within 2 blocks, including some steakhouses, the best Caprese salad I have ever had, lots of Japanese restaurants that I didn't try, and a great local breakfast and coffee place called "@7". There are three grocery stores within three blocks as well.

Restaurants: Actually, I wouldn't know. They were so expensive there's no way I could eat there. (The concierge responded appropriately and didn't seem to judge when we asked for recommendations of casual, inexpensive places.) Breakfast alone would have been 30 euros. Some colleagues were caught between meetings and got sandwiches in the bar - they were like cold cut sandwiches on wheat bread - and we got the ,2L of coke to sip while accompanying them - their sandwiches were 25 euros and our sodas almost 5 euros. Insane! Luckily there are some great restaurants nearby.

Extras: This was my biggest issue. EVERYTHING was an extra. Want to use the gym? That'll be 15 euros. Want internet? 17 euros. I sucked it up and did the gym twice, but only when I made sure I had enough time to use EVERYTHING and take full advantage of it. No 15 euros to hop on the treadmill or stairmaster for half an hour and done. No, I took full advantage of the 18 meter pool to swim 2km each time (it is a very nice pool, but they don't use lanelines and it got choppy to try and swim with 3 people in the pool - don't know what would have happened if there had been a fourth), I also used the sauna, the jacuzzi, the tanning booth in the ladies locker room, even the showers and their own conditioner, shampoo and body wash. BTW, the pool was cold and jacuzzi not all that warm either - it was fine for me but it wasn't normal. The locker setup was nice, you could have a locker with a key, which you could fasten around a wrist and ankle while you swam or worked out, so you could have hands free and not worry about it. There were some machines and a couple of free weights but not a whole lot there. I went elsewhere for internet. At this caliber of hotel I would expect these items to be included, as well as at least a continental breakfast.

All in all, it turned out fine, but I would not stay here again. For the money - and also on principle - there are places just as good where you get a lot more for the money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

To my way of thinking, the essence of a 5* hotel is its ability to deliver d\consistent, high quality service, and to recover whenever an unfortunate glitch arises. These do happen, and it's how the hotel staff recover the situation that counts.

I have just had a six day stay at this hotel. I've spent more than $USD3,000. Very poor value for money in terms of room and service quality.

I received a booking confirmation before departure, but had to arrive a day earlier, due to BA strikes. I amended my booking and received an email confirmation. So I was somewhat peeved when I arrived after a long day's travel to find they did not have my booking. "Here's the confirmation", I said, showing them the email on my iPhone. "Could you forward the email to us?" "No, I don't have network access at the moment! Check with your reservations service." "You can get network access by logging on to the hotel wireless and booking Euro 17 on your credit card" At this point, my response reflected some tension!

They found me a room. Luckily, it was a Junior Exec Suite, as booked. Great. Finally got into the room at 10:00pm, after cooling my heels for almost an hour.

Did not sleep well, room too hot. Mentioned this to reception the next day, who said they'd get someone to look into it. Nothing ever happened, and I could not arrange a room shift.

Papers -- sometimes delivered, mostly not. Received 3 in six days
Turndown service -- happened twice in six days. Advertised service, not provided.
Breakfast -- I ate in the breakfast room most mornings, and three times had to request clean cups for the setting (coffee/tea stained)
Laundry service -- very expensive and poor quality. I now have an off-white shirt!
Security -- returned to the room to find it unlatched after turn-down. This is INEXCUSABLE. Thankfully, nothing missing
Bellhop service -- twice, bellhops came to the room to collect luggage. Not requested by me. Do they know which room is where?

Overall, not a good experience. I would have moved, but it was close to the conference I was attending, and I was told that equivalent hotels were further away and heavily booked.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, but overall the buck stops with management. Do it better, or don't claim to be 5*

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We booked via hotels.com for a twin/queen room at around £147. We weren't expecting very much, really, so when we got there and checked into our room we were delighted! Our room was actually more like a mini-suite with two very comfy beds pushed together - both bigger than singles - and a just gorgeous lay out. We noticed in the wardrobe that our room usually went for 525 euros a night (double-occupancy) (not what we paid!) but at no point had we been told we were getting a fantastic deal or that we were being upgraded. The en suite bathroom had a lovely glass wall with electronic blind alongside the bed.. which was obviously very fun, but not tacky as some might fear. The desk would have been lovely to work from if we'd needed to... The room was very big, with big windows looking out. I can't praise it enough. If we're ever offered a good deal to stay there again, we will. We didn't check out the pool area etc, so hopefully we will next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Riga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We chose the Okura hotel, because it's located near the big exhibition hall - RAI and it's 5-8 minutes by walking there. The hotel has an outstanding 24/7 service and pretty good rooms. It's about 5-10 minutes by taxi and you are in the center of Amsterdam.
Prices are expensive in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Got a great deal on ebookers( normaly we dont stay on this type of hotel), and stayed in a deluxe dobbel room on the 21 floor. And what a room it was !! Every time we came in to the room, the curtains went up, and a beautiful view over Amsterdam revealed itself. The room was very nice, with a huge bed and flat screen tv in both bedroom and bathroom. The toilet seat was heated, and you didnt even have to wipe your own [--] :) In the evening the chamber maids made the room for the evening - pulled the covers aside, and sat the slippers beside the bed for you. Curtains and light could be regulated from the bed, by a remote. The room has everything you desire, and more.
One night we came in a bit late, the portier obviously didnt think we looked like okura guests, and made funny remarks, and we had to show him our room key to convince him that we were guests at this hotel. But its ok, it says something about the class of the hotell. The hotell is located a bit far from city center. No breakfast included - boyfriend missed bacon&eggs :) The hotel had a room service, night menu, and when we called to order from it, they didnt have anything on it. Strange.... But all of the food we ordered from roomservice, was presented on a very stylish way.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!