“Strictly an Expense Account Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #19 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Florida
“Strictly an Expense Account Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

The Okura, given it's proximity to the RAI (Amsterdam's impressive trade show/conference center), is priced for those that are spending someone elses money. If you drive to Amsterdam expect to pay about 35 Euros a day to park in the hotel lot. Breakfast is very expensive and lacking. Walk out the hotel front and turn left. There is a very gơd breakfast restaurant two blocks away on the right. The rơms were modern, large and well kept. Having said that, I will not stay there again.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

At arrival at the Okura everything looks great, like a 5 star hotel. No worries, all required extra's for a 5 star hotel are in there. My corner room was spacious, but dated. So far all fine.
But the staff really forgot that they work in a 5 star hotel. Examples:
- At check in my room was not ready. Not a problem: I was early. I checked in and they promised me that my luggage would be at my room when my room was ready. Later I picked up my key and verified if my luggage would be there. "yes it is there". Guess what: It was not when i got in my room.
- I had to wait for 15 minutes to get an elevator. I spoke with the staff about this: They simply don't react to this. No excuses, no reason or whatever.
- At departure I left my luggage at the concierge. Later I picked it up again and gave my voucher to the concierge. He invited me to walk with him into to storage and pick my suitcase out of there
These are not big things, but absolutely not things that you expect in a 5 star hotel, which also is part of the "leading hotels of the world" brand.

Outside the staff issues is the hotel charging you ridiculous amounts for everything:
- Breakfast 29 Euro. Better walk 5 minutes. Leave the hotel area to the left. on the right hand sight you find a small Breakfast restaurant called @7 (Scheldestraat 92).
- Internet, depending on speed, 29 Euro
- Gym, 15 Euro

"the leading hotels of the world" brand has a better hotel in centre Amsterdam: Hotel L'Europe, which has this real 5 star feeling, or just stay in a decent 4 star hotel like Park Plaza Victoria: cheaper and the same quality

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Stayed a few times on business and leasure.

Location: pretty good, close enough to the city center and to eg. the RAI center
parking: excellent
check-in: as smooth as possible
rooms: renovated, lots of space, great bed
fitness/spa: 5* worthy
restaurants: the best mix available in Amsterdam, from Michelin-starred Belgian-French cuisine with a Dutch twist to a top Japanese restaurant
rooms service very prompt.
breakfast: from European to Japanese selections.
staff extremely courteous.
very quiet and professional hotel.
whether on business or for pleasure: a very safe choice.
check out the hotel website for specials.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

Okura is a 5 star hotel and the service definitely was. The rooms were pretty good, good size and had everything you needed. The location is ok - Okura is not in the centre of town it is a little way out. When we visited the trams were not working one night and were a long wait the other night which was a bit of a pain.
The food in Okura is over priced but what you expect from a hotel which has micilen stars.
Good place to stay if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

I stayed at Okura in Amsterdam in May of 2009. I arrived at the hotel early and so couldn't check in, but the staff were more than helpful and offered to take our luggage so that we could go and explore the city before returning later in the afternoon.

On returning, we had been upgraded to a corner room. This was on the 15th floor and had great views over the canals and the local area. The room itself was very spacious and had twin beds, with more than enough room to live comfortable for the three days we stayed there. The room also had a large mirrored wardrobe, and plenty of cupboard space for everything.
The bathroom was also spacious and had everything you need, including a hairdryer and toiletries.

The first night I stayed there, I visited the 23rd Bar which is located on the 23rd floor of the hotel. It is apparently one of the most chic bars in the city, but I found it to be rather uncomfortable. It had panoramic views over the city, but everyone there were in couples and they were getting VERY cosy, so it made me wonder just what exactly is the "in" thing to do in that bar.

Breakfast at the hotel was satisfactory, although not the best, certainly not the worst either. It featured everything from continental foods to the traditional full English. If you haven't got it included in the room, I wouldn't recommend paying extra for it.

I found the best thing about this hotel was it's easy transport links to the centre. The tram stop is a very short walk from the hotel and for about 2 Euros, you could get the tram right into the main Dam square. We had no problems using this service, and it was very handy whilst we were there. Taxis can be very expensive, so avoid them at all costs.

I would definitely recommend this hotel as a luxury base to see Amsterdam. Comfortable rooms and a pleasant location make for a very pleasing trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We booked a 3 night trip to Amsterdam through expedia and were very excited to see a 5 star hotel come up for £265pp. This worked out at roughly £120 per night for the hotel which seemed like a great bargain for a 5 star hotel. However were really disapointed when we arrived to be assigned a very shabby and retro looking hotel room which in some areas was quite grubby. When we complained we were told that the hotel was being renovated and only 50% had been completed, we were on a floor of rooms which hadn't been renovated, hence the price. This wasn't made clear when booking and as we were expecting 5* luxary (regardless of price) we were suprised at the standard of the room. We were particularly shocked to discover that the normal price of the room we stayed in had we not booked online was over 400 Euro's which would have been ridiculously high.

On a positive note, the hotel did move us to another room, not a renovated one but a junior suite which was still on the unrenovated retro side, as it was so large it felt like adequate compensation. The rest of the hotel is lovely with a nice terrace bar overlooking the canal and a cool cocktail bar on the top floor.

One last piece of advice, dont order room service for breakfast, its overpriced and not very good. The hotel is also a good 20 mins on the tram from the centre of town so if you're looking to be in the centre of things its not ideal. Its is walking distance (or 10 mins on tram) from the museum quarter though which was ideal for us.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
brighton uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Booked late deal via expedia expecting a great 5 star hotel - though it has the facilities of a 5* and the recently refurbished lobby/bar(s) are very attractive the standard room we booked was not only shabby and outdated but was not cleaned to the standard I would expect of a 5* hotel (dirty windows etc). We complained and were advised that the hotel was in the process of being refurbished and we had not paid the full rate (thankfully!) despite this our concerns were addressed and we were moved to a junior suite (same issues but marginally nicer!) Overall rooms that have not been refurbished are more like 3* and location is a little removed thus taxis and trams are essential if you wish to visit the centre.

Food is expensive - we had room service breakfast as were unprepared to pay 29 euros for a buffet breakfast but even at 6 euros the breakfast (scrambled eggs and sausage) was cold and rather revolting!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!