“Long Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #18 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo, Norway
“Long Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We spent a long weekend here in January. Its a very nice hotel, with lovely city views. We stayed in an executive room, very nice! We actually ended up having 3 of four dinners here, the food is excellent! Lovely, romantic dinner at Le ciel bleu, the food was stunning, and the service professional, but very friendly.
It is a long walk in to Amsterdam city centre, but if the weather is nice, it is no problem. The hotel always has taxis waiting, so this was not really an issue. I would definitely stay here again, during may next stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Bethesda, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Staying in Amsterdam on business the Okura is a good bet. This Japanese themed (and owned) hotel boasts three Michelin starred restaurants (out of a total of twelve in Amsterdam) and the two I dined in were excellent. The rooms are modern and well appointed (although for some reason the heat in my room was sub-optimal). The bathrooms near luxury. While the meeting I attended included the internet the usual charge was over 12 euro per day with speeds that were just OK. The fitness room opened at 6:30 which was a bit too late for many of us business types. Other reviews indicate that the location was not "downtown" but the Okura is actually fairly close to the cultural center of Amsterdam. After hours the bar on the 23rd floor is a good hangout.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the views
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I think I bagged the bargain of the decade so far, a last-minute Top Secret deal (I knew it was the Okura in advance), and I've wanted to stay here for some time, but being on the outskirts of the city, I took the punt this time as I drove there. But before booking I spoke at length with a lovely Ms Lisa Jansen on reservations, who advised me of my options had i booked direct. I was also advised to join the membership programme for the added benefits on arrival. Well I wasn't disappointed

I could wax lyrical about this hotel. It truly is a splendid hotel. The façade isn't all that great from outside, and you can see the age of the property as you approach, purely from the external styling/architecture. But the off street location, with a drive-in courtyard already make a statement, in close proximity to the city centre, one would not expect this. The lobby and reception are impeccable, stylish, modern and give off a really nice atmosphere, one that IMPLIED "welcome Sir, we really want you to like us and be happy with your stay!" Well an upgrade and health club access later, we went up to our room a very happy couple.

Upgraded to a junior Superior Suite. Clean, Spacious, and comfortable. The bath is lovely, but I could tell not used very often, as the mechanism for the drain plug was faulty, I had to remove the cover and adjust/fix this myself. The Nespresso machine was duly refreshed with the pods I specifically requested by a wonderful young room attendant, i forget his name. Thumbs Up. Coffee makes a happy man!. Although plastic spoons are unbecoming of the quality and prestige of such a hotel. The TV was great, although I hardly see a point for a USB slot if it is not useable. The bed was comfortable considering its 2 singles pushed together, HOWEVER, the duvet is ridiculous, sorry 2 duvets. Not really couple friendly. I found myself uncovered many times during the night. Lighting was nice. and the view, from the 15th floor was superb even though it wasnt city centre facing!

The spa was a real treat. The masseuses were fantastic, ensuring our relaxation throughout, and making us feel very pampered. The post treatment area is a little small. and I felt that this area needs to be developed a little further. We were sharing the space with another couple who were due to have their treatment after ours. It took away from the intimacy and privacy that the experience had built up and delivered.

The health club was good also. I would suggest a full time assistant for the pool and steam/sauna areas, as the floor in the steam/sauna area is a liability claim waiting to happen. Far too wet, flooded. The health club had a family in attendance that day, and I feel that children took away from the calming atmosphere. It was a bit noisier than it should be. The massage chair is fantastic, I really enjoyed that experience, and didnt want to leave the health club, so I asked room service to deliver food to me there which they gladly obliged. You guys made us feel valued and looked after!

Brenda - Assistant Service Manager - was very effective in damage limitation, as a breakfast incident threatened to derail my whole experience. I was served ham in an omlette, and I am a Muslim. Too k a bite too. Psychologically, mentally and emotionally this was a lot to deal with for me. But the issue was dealt with effectively. In such circumstances, I would hope that a HUGE lesson has been learned from the incident, and that procedures have been amended or revised so as to ensure such things will never happen again.

MArtijn, Head of Door i think. A true gentleman. We thank you dearly for the bicycles you kindly let us borrow. This really completed our experience.

Im a huge critic, and these things are not what most people would or could identify. But i promised to be. Chihiro on Reception, a true pleasure to deal with, as were the entire concierge/door staff. Please whatever you do, do not change the doorman's jacket.

Even though we experienced issues, and i have suggestions and complaints - everything was dealt with in a highly professional matter, I can not give less than a 5* rating. Because of the 5* response.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget, ask for a superior room NOT on the 3rd Floor. The view is worth it!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't know if this is the best hotel in Amsterdam, because I never stay anywhere else.

Every time the welcome is warm, the rooms good, the food really great and a wide choice. Hard to say anything other than solid brilliant.

You get what you pay for - in Amsterdam for sure.

Room Tip: Go to a high floor if possible
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Cookham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A 4 night room only stay. This hotel is in a great location a 30 minute walk from Dam Square. Excellent tram connections to museum quarter and city centre. The surrounding area especially near the market has some nice bars and restaurants for breakfast and evening meals. The hotel staff are very friendly and welcoming. The standard room wifi was slow. There was a extra charge for high speed internet which was a shame considering the local bars and cafes wifi was free.

• Stayed February 2015
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great hotel, great rooms, great views.
Little bit out of the centre but a great hotel. The executive rooms are amazing with all sort of extra gadgets.
Very reasonable prices in the bars and the sky bar has a great atmosphere.
Very friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2015
Achterveld, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Okura remains one of the best hotels in Amsterdam and unique with three Michelin starred restaurants. We had an executive room on a high floor with great views of the city. The room itself was spacious, with a separate working desk (and free wifi), and a very nice bathroom wtih views over the city. The only (minor) drawback is that you can hear the elevators quite well in the room (probably in every room, as the floors are quite small). Breakfast was rather special as the Berlin Philharmonic (whom we were to hear at night) was staying at the hotel and all 125 of them had decided to have breakfast at the same time. So it was a bit of a chaos at breakfast, not the quiet breakfast we were looking forward to but quite special at the same time! And service was still very fast! Dinner the night before at Le Ciel Bleu was a bit of a mixed experience, so separate review.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!