“Overall perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, Amsterdam 1072 LH, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #18 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
“Overall perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at Okura Hotel, Amsterdam for 4 nights while attending the European Society of Cardiology. The staff was helpful & professional. Hotel was superb. The hotels location was ideal. About 7 minutes walk from the RAI Convention center, 18 minutes walk from the Museumplein(museums square). Also the hotel is located between two tram stops, which makes getting around the city very easy. Team 25 takes you through Dam square and end in the Centraal station ( the busiest region of Amsterdam).

907 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed 3 days in Okura hotel for meeting with 40 people from everywhere in the world (Europe, Asia, Turkey, Russia, USA...). So we needed to get an excellent hotel. Everybody was satisfied.

The bedroom are clean and have a nice style. Meeting room was arranged as we wish, food was nice, and people very kind and reactive. However be careful to the price of business center (we paid a lot of money for copies)...

I do recommand this hotel, you the japanese quality is very good.

PS: don't miss if you can to eat at tepaniaky restaurant (be careful it's very expensive but delicious)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
se
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in sept 2013.
The good
First impressions were really good, hotel lobby is very impressive.
We liked the location, nice neighbourhood and easy tram ride to centre.
We enjoyed a cocktail in the 23rd bar. The staff there were excellent and friendly.

The bad
On check in no detail of what the amenities of the hotel were, eg when breakfast was served, where and at what cost. Where the leisure centre, spa is ....just basic info.

It was my husbands birthday and on check in we were advised that we were being upgraded to a superior room. We were thrilled. First impressions of the room were good. The bathroom was nice but the view of the rear/SIDe of the hotel was a little underwhelming. ( I had been hoping for a nicer view based on reviews)
When we checked out the bathroom we noticed that the wall mounted tv wasn't working. The controls on the wall were very
worn and it was obviously in need of repair.(the bathroom door also seemed swollen and wouldn't open/close easily) I phoned reception and they told me they would send someone. 2 hours later no one arrived so we headed out. On our way back I enquired if tv had been sorted. The receptionist said again she would send someone. But next morning still nothing done. Finally after my third time asking we were told the tv was beyond repair and would need to be replaced. We were offered a move to another room which we declined as by that stage we were checking out next morning. The reception staff were cold and clinical in their apologies. I expected way more from a 5 star hotel.

Finally I found that unless you are eating in one of the restaurants or you pay the fee to use the leisure centre basically there are no free communal amenities for guests. The lobby is not an area conducive to sitting reading a book and the canal terrace can
only be reached via one of the restaurants.
I would try ond of the other hotels in future

Stokesley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The service was perfect, the staff were amazing, the room was beautiful and spotlessly clean. One of the pricier hotels in Amsterdam but soooo worth it! The staff on reception were so welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

From the moment that you arrive you notice that the hotel understands what service means! Rooms are clean and well equipped. The hotel well located 10min from center. You rent a bike at the concierge and Amsterdam is youts! Great experience.

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

After our Japan trip earlier this year, I was curious how a Japanese hotel look like in Amsterdam.
This hotel is right next to a canal and conveniently link to the central by tram. 1 hour card is 2.80 euro and 7.50 for 24 hours.

There were some major road work nearby the Albert Cuyp Market, so the original stops has been changed. Sometimes, the assistant on the tram will remind you that you have to change to another tram to your destination, but only in Dutch. So its better reconfirm with the assistance once you get on the tram, mention that you want to go to 'Cornelis Troostplein'.

We had a corner room which was very nice. Only one small issue was the faulty Nespresso machine. Nowadays, most good hotels provide this service. When phone up the helpdesk to report this issue, we have to go though their 'standard question', which is have you wait till the flashing light stop? fill the machine with water? on the left hand site's tank? and etc.. We then been transfer to front desk, and repeat the same questions.. then they promised to send an engineer to out room. After a couple of hours, no sign of the engineer, I phoned the reception, go though the same questions again even I mention at the very beginning that I had follow all the instruction written on the card. She insist to ask me the same questions again.. but this time, an engineer arrived within 15 mins.
We stayed for 3 nights, upon check out, same question pop out AGAIN. I know it maybe come from good intention and the staff just want to mention that she had phone many times in the 2nd day to check if the machine is alright. I said everything is fine after the engineer fix it. She then said' Did you forgot to fill the water tank?' I went speechless!
I have owned different Nespresso models though these years and been to many hotels that offer this kind of service. When the engineer had confirmed there were a fault, I would assumed that this been recorded? If its was simply about to fill the water why bother to check if the machine is working?
Apart from this, generous room and they offer a turn down service. I also enjoy their selection of songs and album on the TV. Welcome message on the TV. remotely control curtain (remind me of Marina Sand Bay), and their pillow menu.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My first night in Amsterdam was spent in budget motel near the Red Light District. It was dirt cheap but I got what I paid for, dirt! So I checked into the Okura the next day and my vacation was saved. A beautiful Japanese hotel with a great view of Amsterdam and easy public transportation to Leidseplein, Heineken Brewery, Museums and the rest of the city. The two restaurants were fabulous as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!