“perfect week end gateway in amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #19 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“perfect week end gateway in amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

just had a great week end !
upgraded to a junior suite room view over looking amsterdam canals was amazing
room lay out was spacious although for a suite there was only 1 bassin and no seperate toilet...
swimming pool was most welcome after a day strolling the city
japanese tapeniaki was really good
staff was friendly and helping
yes true, hotel is a bit away from city center but tram station is just near by and easy to use

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Recently stayed here for a conference, and was generally thrilled with the hotel. As always - chose a suite - since I routinely need to work from my room. I was upgraded to a deluxe junior suite which was amazing (and I've stayed all over th Europe and the US in everythign from hovels to 5 star presidential suites).

Huge main room - with a very large desk and windows on two sides - super fcomfy beds and a very trick software-based lighting and curtain control module set a great tone. A spacious washroom with all the amenities (less a bidet though) made for a pleasant stay. Super helplful staff ensured all went smoothly.

But still - there are spots they could do EVEN better...

1. NO steam iron! I have NO clue how people manage to press dress shirts properly with a basic hot flat piece of metal. SO frustating!

2. Coffee makers that shake the room. While this part of Amsterdam is very quiet - I was awoken sevreal times by the thumping drone of the in-room espresso makers from another room above. I'm not coffee drinker (!) so I can't even get an abstract pleasure from this racket. All these units need to be isolated wiht rubber mats or something.

3, PLumbing noise. Pipes that do long runs in the wall have to be anchored at certain intervals - else they can vibrate loudly at certain partial flow rates. This hotel has several pipes on or around the 6th floor that vibrate like mad every once in while.

4. Don't charge for the health centre or bike usage.

Lastly - I was VERY impressed by the FREE wifi provided. I need constant hi speed access while on the road - so this was a VERY welcome - esp at no charge - although that "might" have been a perk of the conference?

In any case - this was a super clean, spacious, well appointed and very comfortable hotel that I'd highly recommend.

Room Tip: YES - Corner suites are large and VERY sunny on the south east exposure - and overlook a wonderful c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here in August. As I checked out, I noticed I was not billed correctly. While I insisted that the bill should have been higher, the conceirge claimed there would be no additional fees and I was all set. One month later, I was charged twice as much. I left several messages and emails and not a single return. I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of professionalism and communication.

The hotel itself is mediocre at best. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about the building, the staff, service, or location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear we did not meet your expectations. Could you please send us your contact details via feedback@okura.nl? We would like to get in touch with you.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked this trip as a surprise for my husband for our anniversary. When we arrived the check in staff were so happy and helpful and upgraded us to a suite. We were also brought strawberries and wine, which was a lovely touch. The room was unbelievable, so clean and big, the turn down service on an evening was also nice. The hotel is a bit far from the centre, but trams are easily accessible and the hotel and it's facilities certainly made up for it of you didn't fancy going out.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, myself and my husband are already thinking about coming back.
The breakfast room has just been refurbished, it opened today (2nd September) and is absolutely stunning. There is plenty of choice for breakfast and they cook eggs fresh for you....Bonus!!
PEFECT HOTEL.

Room Tip: The suites are amazing, but I would imagine all rooms to be great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

booked one night flying visit to amsterdam staying at okura as a treat before my grandaughter starts secondary school. Hotel was great staff great nothing was too much trouble beds comfy , breakfast great choice and plenty was not rushed to leave,room was lovely showers great . Room had fabulous views had a corner room so great expance of Amsterdam on offer, would definetly go back but at least 2 nights next time. Spa was very nice too!

Room Tip: we were on 16th floor in a corner room so great views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel as a Top Secret, thinking you can't go wrong with a 5* .... and we were right, I would not chance a 4* with last minute but a 5 this shows you can't go wrong, this was an amazing weekend. The service was fantastic, the conceirge extremely helpful. reception were very welcoming and courtious.

Our room was an executive suite and it was huge, with great bathroom and huge shower. With free use of the executive lounge and health club - both exceptionally clean and very relaxing

After a night out we were a little late to the breakfast but even then they were very welcoming and let us have breakfast after the restaturant was supposed to have closed. Service here again could not be faulted.

We did try to book the 2 mitchelin star restaurant but had left it too late which is understandable, however the ever helpful staff contacted us on the Saturday evening to explain a couple were thinking of cancelling would we like their table? And we did, of course it was expensive but it was divine. If you have the opportunity and can book in time i recommend the amazing experience and menu.

We hired bikes from reception, they were so much fun and good quality, i'd receommend hiring bikes its the best way to get around!

The hotel recommended a fish restaurant for us where the lobster was delicious, and booked the table and taxi too - all very efficient.

We did unfortunately loose a wallet on our weekend, again reception could not do enough to help us, including the use of the telephone facilities free of charge to cancel cards etc. Whilst doing this we took up the chance to sit in the gardens with a coffee, even this was great service and the presentation again exceptional.

The hotel is on the ouskirts of the city but well worth a stay and like i said - hire bikes for a 10 minute cycle to the centre and canals and museums.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!