“Excellent hotel in a nice neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #20 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sao Paulo
“Excellent hotel in a nice neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel this week for a conference at RAI and it is very close (10 minutes walking). The location is excellent, since it is in a nice neighborhood, beside a channel, with many restaurants on the way to RAI (on Scheldestraat) and also on the other direction (on Ferdinand Bolstraat). A good Thai restaurant is nearby (Naan Naam), but it is on the opposite street (Maasstraat).

Ferdinand Bolstraat also has a nice bakery (Le Pain Quotidien) and also a good supermarket (Albert Heijn) just across it. The supermarket has a small entrance, but inside is quite big and with plenty of products. There is a liquor store (Gall & Gall) inside the supermarket (with wines, beers, etc.)

There are about 3 tram stations near the hotel, that makes it easy to go to the downtown area. Ticket is 2.60 Euro one way or 7 Euros for the whole day.

The hotel is very nice. I stayed in an Executive room on a high floor, just at the corner of the building (so, I had views from 2 sides! - see attached photos). This is the only tall building in the area so the view is great! The Executive Lounge (22nd floor) is also nice (I also added some photos), and has soft drinks, juices and water + fruits during the day. At the end of afternoon there are also some beers (Belgium, Japanese and Dutch) + wines (one red and one white). The lounge also has a Nespresso machine (larger than the ones in the rooms). The drawbacks of this lounge are that it has only one computer + printer and there is never ice in the ice container (I complained about the ice for about 4-5 times).

Internet connection is by cable in the rooms and wireless in the public areas (1 hour = 6 Euros and 24 h = 12 Euros).

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would highly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Corner rooms since they have views to two sides (I stayed in one that ended in 17)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here when we attended a conference near the hotel. When we made the reservations, the representative said the hotel is walking distance from the train station so we don't have to worry about a taxi. So, my husband and I took her word and walked from the RAI station to the hotel with two suitcases and a backpack. Not even quarter way into our walk, it started to rain. Taxi drivers did not want to take us to the hotel because of the close distance - We had already walked to the RAI. So we sucked it up and kept walking. Yes, WITHOUT luggage, the walk is a mere 10-15 minutes. WITH luggage, it was LONG and FAR. By the time we arrived at the hotel, we both were drenching wet and extremely exhausted. Not to mention irritated that the reservation representative at the hotel did not consider the fact that we will have luggage when we arrive and not to instruct us to walk.

Aside from THAT, we had an amazing stay. The staff was very knowledgeable and always available if we had a question about sightseeing or local restaurants. The room is equipped with a Nespresso maker, flat screen TV with a HDMI connector, and a few channels in english. The HDMI connector was great - i was able to connect my iPad to it and watch movies. One night, it was extremely warm in the room and I requested a fan. The staff brought it up immediately and turned down the temp of our room to make it cooler. The towels were also superb quality. There is also a tram station close to the hotel that takes you into town such as Dam Square (red light district). It was extremely convenient. Oh! Since the hotel is right next to a canal, there is a sightseeing boat rental right behind the hotel. It's not expensive at all. The hotel has 4 restaurants, i think, and the prices are decent.

Overall, great hotel!!!

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed one short night at the Hotel Okura during early September 2011.

I was both pleasantly surprised by the caliber of the hotel and the amenities of the neighborhood nearby. Just a few blocks from the hotel (less than 5 minutes walk) on Schelderstraat is a couple of blocks of great restaurants (we ate good pizza, and had excellent ice cream from an ice cream place there) not choosing the steak place, the Thai restaurant or half a dozen other good looking and smelling options.

Like one of the other reviewers here, I received an upgrade upon my arrival. Mine was because there was some sort of maintenance issue in my assigned room, and when they could not resolve the problem an upgrade was the result. I found the junior suite very generously sized, with an excellent bathroom (with the high tech/fancy Japanese toilet seat), a comfortable bed, nice furniture and a high quality flat-screen television.

I was there for too short a time to eat in any of the restaurants in the hotel, but would gladly stay again and explore in the future.

Zeist, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We were given a free upgrade to a junior suite on arrival which was a very pleasant surprise.
Staff throughout the hotel were extremely friendly. My son accidently left some items in his room and they were delivered to my house the next afternoon!! Our rooms were on the 19th floor and the view was amazing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will most certainly stay there again on our next visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I recently booked this hotel as Lastminute's TOP SECRET hotel, I recieved an executive room with use of Spa and Breakfast included. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, Immaculate and the service received was of an extremely high order. They honestly could not do enough for my partner and I.

The restaurants are expensive yes, but you are getting 2 x Michelin starred quality food and the service is impeccable. The 23rd floor Bar is a must visit, stunning views of Amsterdam in three directions. The room was superb, including Tv in bathroom! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any traveller. The spa is pure luxury and includes sunbeds should the notion take you.

The only issue I would have is for Leisure travellers, as it is a good 15/20 minutes by Tram into Dam Square (or 15Euro in a cab) . I would say that it would take a good 45/60 minute walk to the city centre.

Room Tip: Executive room may be worth the upgrade as with standard and delux rooms you will pay extra for Brea...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip. What a beautiful hotel. So clean and sparkly. The staff were wonderful. Definitely worth a visit

• Stayed June 2011
Ferrara, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Unforgettable warmth and the welcome given to the guest.
Structure from the very attractive value for money

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!