“we like it, but we don't come back....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hotel Okura Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, Amsterdam 1072 LH, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #20 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Cagliari, Italy
“we like it, but we don't come back....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed in Okura two weeks ago. The Hotel is located very far (15-20 euros of taxi to Leidseplein) from downtown, and take the bus -2,60 euros for a ticket- weren't less expensive for us. (we are five)
A day, we walked to Leidseplein, and we arrived there in 45 minutes.
The Hotel is a very good hotel, all the people worked there were extremely kind and helpful with us.
The rooms are large and spacious, with good furniture and excellent beds, but the bathroom furniture were a little old...and in the rooms Nescafè machine were out of work, and the fitness room and the pool were an extra cost.
A good hotel but too far from downtown to come back another time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

1,023 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Complaint about the hotel - really annoyed!!

We have made a hotel booking through booking.com at Hotel Okura in Amsterdam. This booking was made along with many other bookings for my recent Europe trip. Because of change in my visa dates, I had to cancel this booking and I replaced it with another hotel because Hotel Okura was not available on those dates. To my surprise, while I was in Amsterdam, I got a mail that I have been charged by Hotel Okura for one night for Euro 167, which is towards no show. When I called booking.com, they simply took no responsibility and just forwarded me the hotel details to speak with. They told me that I have rebooked this hotel on the same dates again, which I never did and booking.com or the hotel Okura management staff has not been able to provide me any proof of the booking also. Well even if they provide, I have no mail so far and I am 100% sure that I have not made any rebooking on the same hotel for the same dates, because my date of travel to Amsterdam were already changed.No one in the hotel is bothered to reply or ideally send us the reservation confirmation they are claiming or else simply return our money back !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear Ms. Bajaj,

We regret that you have experienced such inconvenience with your reservation and cancellation at ----. We have your contact details so we will contact you about this matter. ~ Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Just had my stay with this nice hotel. The standard room was clean and nicely decorated. The service in general very friendly and helpful. The location is great for those who need a calm night away from the noise of the city center. The hotel is nevertheless very well conected with places such as the Museums and main touristic places near the Dam.

The food in the restaurants is also very good and is cute to see the japanese waitresses in traditional clothes.

The only inconvenient for me is that the breakfast does not have the choice for low fat products which I did find in other 5 star hotels. Therefore, of the two nights I stayed there, I took the breakfast only once.

Otherwise it is worth trying this Japanese experience in Amsterdam ... and don't forget to try the chinese massage in the streets. Very good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We had an executive room in the 19th floor with wonderful view over Amsterdam and the canal besides the hotel. Beautiful japanese design, including a japanese park and pond with carps. Easy to take the tram to the center and the museum areas.
The outdoor restaurant was besides the canal, but the serving of food was unfortunately very slow. The reception / counsiliere was very helpful getting informasjon and tickets.

Room Tip: A room above 10th floor with view to the canal is quiet
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

the rooms were clean and well appointed and the staff were immensly helpful and knowledgeable. The food was excellent. No complaints only praise for this hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Diest, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We got an excellent room, on the 16th floor, overlooking the canal. Nice bathroom with a glass wall that separates it from the bedroom. Great shower and very good bed. It's not cheap but it's a very decent hotel. (avg price was approx 160 eur/night) This excludes parking (35 EUR/day). Parking is expensive everywhere in Amsterdam. Location was fabulous, taxi's are around 24/24, public transport is only 200 meters "far". Even walking to the city (through the nice neighbourhoods) is not a problem. (15-20 min. walk)
Great hotel, good service and very friendly people. Negatives? Yes, no free wifi.. (not in room and not in the public areas) The restaurant and cocktail bar on the 23rd floor was closed (until somewhere near the end of august), too bad this is not mentioned on the website.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

15 - 20 min walk from downtown, but modern and classy hotel. Nice room. We booked ours through Hotels.com and were asked the (inevitable) question on check-in if we wanted to pay a surcharge and "upgrade" to a recently refurbished room. We did and it was very nice. A cool feature was the glass partition wall between the bathroom and bedroom that gave unobstructed views from the tub. Fantastic breakfast, not included (expensive).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Okura Amsterdam? Share your experiences!