“Nice but not cheap” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Napier, New Zealand
“Nice but not cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Very nice hotel with all the trimmings.
Room, bathroom and facilities great.
Bit pricey for dinner 90 euro for two and breakfast at 45 euro for two.
We took Metro from main station which took about 10 - 15 mins. However when we got off the train there was little or no directions on how to get there. Murphy's law, we chose the wrong path and ended on the opposite side of the canal. Whilst we were contemplating reversing our footsteps a local Scotsman offered to take us in his car around to the hotel, how nice was that?
Reception was very friendly and helpful, hotel clean and very well appointed. No alternatives for outside meals that we knew of.

Green Features: Good A/C as the heat was oppressive whilst we were there
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, September 3, 2014

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I'd loved this hotel based on the views and staff. Staff were so friendly and helpful it makes you appreciate and acknowledge what a beautiful country holland is. Just a short train or shuttle ride from the heart of Amsterdam square I will really recommend this hotel!

Stayed August 2014
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear mister/miss,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, especially we

Robert van Vliet - General Manager
Keighley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My boyfriend and I had an enjoyable stay here for 2 nights at the end of July 2014; the rooms were very spacious and clean, as was the bathroom, which had a bath as well as a shower. The bed was big and quite comfortable, with two extra pillows in the wardrobe which was appreciated.

The room had effective air conditioning, a television, free wi-fi and tea and coffee making facilities. It also had a nice view out over the river Amstel.
We got a very good price for this room, only £58ish per room per night (booked with Expedia). The only drawback is the location - it is some way south of the city centre, and there is nothing nearby in the way of restaurants or shops. To get here, you must get the metro (number 51) which runs from Amsterdam Centraal, and takes just over 10 minutes to Overamstel. From here, it is another 10 minute walk to the hotel, so if you are spending a day sightseeing in Amsterdam it is not the handiest hotel if you need to return during the day. However, the hotel do offer a shuttle service to the city centre for 5 euros, which is useful.

We did not try the breakfast here, as we felt 22.50 euros per person was a little expensive. I also a little taken aback at having to pay 40 euros upfront as a deposit in case of damages to the room - from this sum, the city tax is deducted and any other costs incurred, and I was told that the rest would be transferred back to me after check out, but have yet to confirm if this has been done.

Overall, a very good hotel in a peaceful area, but you must be prepared to travel to get to and from the city centre.

Turku, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We chose this hotel because it is hot summer and on their web site they say there is a swimming pool. There isn't! They just get more customers with that information on the web site. We felt so cheated! Other thing that made us feel bad: Our flight was very early flight. We were at the hotel at 12 am. We were very tired. We hoped that we could get our hotel room before 14 pm. Receptionist told as that they have rooms available, but it cost us 20 euros if we want to get our room for two hours ahead of schedule. I have never encountered such a procedure previously in any hotel. Room was clean and nice, breakfast was ok. We don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel and I definitely wouldn't recommend staying there. I booked this hotel as their website lists that they have a pool. They do not have a pool and despite showing staff they still haven't stopped falsely advertising that they do. The biggest drawback though is the distance from town and the difficulty getting to town. It cost us 23 euros from central station to the hotel and another 37 to the airport. The receptionist showed me the nearest station on a map, and google maps says that the station is 1.7km from the hotel. When we came back from town we did find a way to catch a bus to another disused train station which made it so we only had to walk 750 metres. As someone with a leg injury I did not particularly enjoy having to walk so far. The staff seem nice and the beds were comfortable, but I would definitely recommend staying closer to town or at the mercure near the airport as it has much better access to town. There's no way I will go back there!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam, Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. During an update of our website we accidentaly placed a sign on de website, that mentions we have a pool. This unforunate mistake has been removed now. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Sincerely, Robert van Vliet General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stay here 2 days on my trip and here is my review about this hotel
- Big room (double) and big view from the window
- But outside have nothing to play, very boring in afternoon and its also far from the center
-Good breakfast buffet, the salami is very delicious for me
- The reception is good at many language and know how to make us comfortable

Stayed July 2014
Dear Sir / Madam, We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one. Sincerely, Robert van Vliet General Manager
Tromso, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Most of the staffs were friendly and helpful .
Some couldnt smile which is I consider it as a culture shock for me..
hahahaha..
But I really love this hotel.
The GM also very friendly and helpful and handsome :p
It was a pleasant 4 nights in Mercure.
U can go to the city by the boat that parking in the riverside of Mercure at 10 am.
And back to the hotel by boat again.
They have the brochure and the route so please read it carefully.
The breakfast also good, but i wish more variations.
But for fruits and seeds as health food seeker it was wonderful breakfast for me !
I met an Indonesian staff also every morning named Ibu Sari, she was very very friendly and helpful too, not only to us as the same Indonesian, but i saw her treat every guest with proper greeting and sincere smile too :)
And one person in the front office, i forgot her name, Melissa or who, she's I think an Indian decent, she was very lovely too.
I met the housekeeping staffs and the gardener, they were amazing too.
I appreciate them.
Thank you so much, it was such a pleasant stay in Mercure.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everybody.
Thank you for making me feel like home in Amsterdam.
Thank you and please keep up you good work !
Love from Bali, Indonesia <3

*Tap water is drinkable*

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!