“good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Pune, India
“good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

this is a nice hotel , but little far from central city , can get to central city by metro , which is mins journey.nice clean rooms , on the main side they have spacious lobby , nice lifts , staff is excellent, never found such good staff , excellent , must stay place with family , food is also good in case ur a traveller who feels hungry late night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

Recently we have introduced the boot trip to the city centre. The boat leaves every day at 10:00 and will dock at the Anne Frank house. A nice way to start your day in Amsterdam.

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

located just on edge of city, and by metro you can get to nearest station (overamstel) in 12 min from centraal station, then it is a 10 minute walk, so if weather is good should not be an issue. from airport it takes 15 min to get to centraal station, so within 45 minutes from airport by public transport is not a bad location, but if you want to be in the middle of everything then perhaps not the place for you.
service is ok, room is large enough - but lack of a bath could be stated clearly on the website for those who might want it? bed is comfortable, but strange that the room service only leave 1 bath towel between a couple.... why assume 1 person is staying? new decor is reasonably fresh.
it is quite expensive to eat at the hotel restaurant though - 55 euro for 1 soup, 1 main course and 1 desert with 3 glasses of wine.
breakfast is good, although food items do run out and not replaced, at least while I was there.
ferry at 10am in morning from back of hotel to go to Anne Frank's house is a good idea at 5 euro person. should make more of it on website - why just leave it as leaflet in the room?

Room Tip: ask for room facing the river for a better view than looking at the motorway, even if it is looking...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel is nice and the service was great. The room was clean and comfy. You will find everything you may need in it. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. The breakfast was very nice and a little bit different to the English breakfast which was good. The breakfast is served from 6 to 10 in the morning in the weekdays. On the last morning of my stay I went to the breakfast at 09:20 am most of the items were gone or almost gone. I asked a waiter for some pancakes and strawberry jam but I only had some jam. They did not refill any item although there were many late arrived gussets which was unfair. These people paid for the breakfast and the hotel said breakfast will be available until 10 am. People should come to find food not empty plates.

The hotel location is away from the central. This was not the problem. The main issue was that the only public transportation available was one metro station that is about 10 minutes or more walking. It is very easy to get to there though but it is not really close especially when you back to the hotel tired and cannot walk anymore. You have to make sure that you do not need anything including food and drinks before you get back to the hotel because there is no shops or restaurants in the area except the hotel's. So it was my mistake in choosing the hotel due to its location.

Hope you find my review is helpful if so please vote for it :)

Whitby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed here for one night in January 2014 on our 3rd trip to Amsterdam. The hotel is ideally located in the centre but just far enough away from where it's noise at night time - down a quiet mixed residential street (we took a bike taxi from the busier part in the centre and it cost us just 10 Euros).

The staff at this hotel provide an excellent service and have clearly been well trained in customer service. We had a very warm welcome and smooth check in/out service, porters were helpful, breakfast staff were helpful, cleaning staff were polite, we were really impressed with the staff at this hotel. It makes all the difference to be made to feel a little special when you're staying at a hotel, no matter how much you pay.

Breakfast was lovely - everything clean, good choice on over, staff so helpful.

Rooms were a good size, could definitely do with a lick of paint and a little modernising but they were clean, tidy, peaceful and spacious enough. Good selection of bathroom toiletries.

We were really pleased with our stay at this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 206 and the window overlooks the entrance of the hotel and children in the nearby re...
Dear Sir / Madam,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Sur, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Not in the center but in the business area. Very easy to reach by public transportation. Just take the tram 25 from central station or dam square and get off at the end of the tram ( last station) you would have to cross the road and the bridge of Amstel river. Nice room , clean and spacious. very help full staff. no close shops around but you need to walk toward tram 25 station in there some shops and resturants, it is beside the river and there is ferry parking.

Room Tip: river view is nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

Reykjavík, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I work in a hotel reception and the only reason i gave this 2 points out of 5 is some staff actually made it better.

I have read people talk about superb service at this hotel and would like to know if it depends on the price you pay or if you look rich that you get such good service i barely noticed that.

Maybe i was there during some bad time (hopefully) but i did not experience what other people are talking about.

When checking into a hotel you usually get information regarding the hotel, well not here. I was asked to fill out a paper and if i would like to have breakfast (just because they would need me to give them my credit card) after that nothing! Nothing about the sauna that i found out they had the day i was leaving, would have loved to try that out.

The receptionist had this look of disgust when looking at me so that made me feel very welcome.

I get it i was checking in on the 1.Jan so the staff might have been tired from partying the night before as i was but that is not much of a valid excuse as i came around 14:00 and just wanted to get to my room and relax.

What is up with the rooms? I can hear people really well talking or doing something in the rooms from the hallway i did not feel any privacy in my room when i found out.

The only one who seemed friendly during my first 2 nights was the bartender.

My last 2 nights changed my view of some of the staff as they seemed to start to be more friendly and actually smile and seemed interested in helping me out but because the staff before were not so friendly i did not even want to bother them much.

One night i woke up really early during the night and wanted some juice or something to drink and the receptionist told me they only had what was in the vending machine and that was all alcoholic or a bottle of sparkling water asked him if if there was something else somewhere and he told me he did not know. Later during the day i saw the staff re-fill the vending machine. I don´t know why they don´t have 24 hour refill when this hotel is away from everything.

I ate there 3 times, very expensive and one time i ordered room service just before 24:00 and the order was wrong and i ended not eating something i paid 15 euro (the whole bill was 52 euro) because the kitchen was closed. not much they could have done except maybe offer to take it and offer me breakfast or something.

I got the hotel for a very good price and if it was not for that i would have asked to see the manager about moving us somewhere else.

I finally understand people who give bad reviews and i feel sorry for them. I stayed one night in a Hotel/Hostel with a dorm and i felt better there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

I have addressed your issues to our F&B Manager and Front Office Manager who will take immediate action on this. Please accept my apologies for all the inconveniences you have encountered during your stay. You did not received the highest quality Mercure stands for.

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!