“quite hotel with modern life” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #118 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Sur, Oman
“quite hotel with modern life”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Not in the center but in the business area. Very easy to reach by public transportation. Just take the tram 25 from central station or dam square and get off at the end of the tram ( last station) you would have to cross the road and the bridge of Amstel river. Nice room , clean and spacious. very help full staff. no close shops around but you need to walk toward tram 25 station in there some shops and resturants, it is beside the river and there is ferry parking.

Room Tip: river view is nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

Recently we have introduced the boot trip to the city centre. The boat leaves every day at 10:00 and will dock at the Anne Frank house. A nice way to start your day in Amsterdam.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

With the kindest regards,

903 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavík, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I work in a hotel reception and the only reason i gave this 2 points out of 5 is some staff actually made it better.

I have read people talk about superb service at this hotel and would like to know if it depends on the price you pay or if you look rich that you get such good service i barely noticed that.

Maybe i was there during some bad time (hopefully) but i did not experience what other people are talking about.

When checking into a hotel you usually get information regarding the hotel, well not here. I was asked to fill out a paper and if i would like to have breakfast (just because they would need me to give them my credit card) after that nothing! Nothing about the sauna that i found out they had the day i was leaving, would have loved to try that out.

The receptionist had this look of disgust when looking at me so that made me feel very welcome.

I get it i was checking in on the 1.Jan so the staff might have been tired from partying the night before as i was but that is not much of a valid excuse as i came around 14:00 and just wanted to get to my room and relax.

What is up with the rooms? I can hear people really well talking or doing something in the rooms from the hallway i did not feel any privacy in my room when i found out.

The only one who seemed friendly during my first 2 nights was the bartender.

My last 2 nights changed my view of some of the staff as they seemed to start to be more friendly and actually smile and seemed interested in helping me out but because the staff before were not so friendly i did not even want to bother them much.

One night i woke up really early during the night and wanted some juice or something to drink and the receptionist told me they only had what was in the vending machine and that was all alcoholic or a bottle of sparkling water asked him if if there was something else somewhere and he told me he did not know. Later during the day i saw the staff re-fill the vending machine. I don´t know why they don´t have 24 hour refill when this hotel is away from everything.

I ate there 3 times, very expensive and one time i ordered room service just before 24:00 and the order was wrong and i ended not eating something i paid 15 euro (the whole bill was 52 euro) because the kitchen was closed. not much they could have done except maybe offer to take it and offer me breakfast or something.

I got the hotel for a very good price and if it was not for that i would have asked to see the manager about moving us somewhere else.

I finally understand people who give bad reviews and i feel sorry for them. I stayed one night in a Hotel/Hostel with a dorm and i felt better there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

I have addressed your issues to our F&B Manager and Front Office Manager who will take immediate action on this. Please accept my apologies for all the inconveniences you have encountered during your stay. You did not received the highest quality Mercure stands for.

Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

A quiet area but with easy access to all of Amsterdam via the metro. Room was clean and toiletries provided better than most hotels. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious with so much variety to choose from.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

If you are ok with a 10 minute metro to the city, you want some piece and quite, and you want great service, then this could be the hotel for you. We had tacked on 4 nights in Amsterdam and this hotel fit our budget perfectly. Out of business peak they do great deals and the service from the team is excellent. The breakfast is well worth it (we got a 2 for 1 deal - 22€ for two). Really big breakfast and if you've been craving western food then this was great. The metro is only a 6 minute walk away and really cheap and convenient. If you're here over New Years though be aware the metro closes on New Year's Eve to avoid hitting drunk/stoned idiots wandering across tram lines etc. Recommended.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

With the kindest regards,

Horley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had a pleasant stay but finding the hotel was not easy. At the nearest metro station the hotel has put up small signs but we arrived in pouring rain and did not see them.
Once in the hotel it was pleasant and we ate in the hotel the first night. The food was not cheap but we had a discount card and so it was not too bad.
We had booked a privilege room but those rooms are small and so we opted for a standard room with some add-ons we negotiated.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My family and I stayed one night at this hotel during our Trafalgar tour. We don't really have a good impression of the hotel because they had misplaced my daughter's luggage. Apparently the porter had put it in another room and it was not found until we had all left the country and reached Germany causing us a lot of inconvenience and distress! Unless you are in a tour group with easy access to transport, the location of the hotel is far from ideal. It is way off the city centre, located along the expressway. My room on the 14th floor has a good view but the bathroom/toilet had an unpleasant urine stench. Housekeeping apparently did not do a good job cleaning it. I called to complain and they did offer to wash it but as it was already past 10pm, I told them to instead spray some fragrance to mask the smell. Also, the bath towels are not only thin but rough to the skin. Toiletries are provided though. There is no safe in the room. Free wifi is a plus, so too is the complimentary coffee/tea-making facilities. This is a non-smoking hotel (something which I appreciate) with a 24hours - small gym (which I, unfortunately, had no time to check it out). Adequate selection at the buffet breakfast. Too bad we were so upset with the lost baggage that we had no appetite to eat anything.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

It was very unfortunate that your luggage was lost during your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I can understand your frustration by losing your luggage.

However, I was pleased to hear from my housekeeping manager that your luggage was found the next day. Although you already left the hotel and traveled to Germany our Assistant Housekeeping Manager offered to personally drive to Germany so he can deliver your luggage in your next hotel.

Again my sincerest apologies for losing your luggage!

Our rooms are very well equipped. Varying from a flat screen tv, coffee and tea making facilities to a safe in our room. The safe of the room can be found in the closet.

Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I was really impressed with the size and quality of the room. I was a single traveler and I had a nicely appointed room with a double bed. The layout of the room is nice with a sliding door between the bathroom and closet, a large shower and a nice vanity and sink. The decor is also very modern. I didn't get to experience much of the hotel as far as amenities go, but from what I could tell there was a very nice breakfast area (but an expensive one, about 23 Euro a day). All the staff I encountered was very friendly as well. The only recommendation I have is to include the free coffee maker in the lobby to work past 9 AM.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!