“Mercure Amsterdam City” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Horley, United Kingdom
“Mercure Amsterdam City”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had a pleasant stay but finding the hotel was not easy. At the nearest metro station the hotel has put up small signs but we arrived in pouring rain and did not see them.
Once in the hotel it was pleasant and we ate in the hotel the first night. The food was not cheap but we had a discount card and so it was not too bad.
We had booked a privilege room but those rooms are small and so we opted for a standard room with some add-ons we negotiated.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My family and I stayed one night at this hotel during our Trafalgar tour. We don't really have a good impression of the hotel because they had misplaced my daughter's luggage. Apparently the porter had put it in another room and it was not found until we had all left the country and reached Germany causing us a lot of inconvenience and distress! Unless you are in a tour group with easy access to transport, the location of the hotel is far from ideal. It is way off the city centre, located along the expressway. My room on the 14th floor has a good view but the bathroom/toilet had an unpleasant urine stench. Housekeeping apparently did not do a good job cleaning it. I called to complain and they did offer to wash it but as it was already past 10pm, I told them to instead spray some fragrance to mask the smell. Also, the bath towels are not only thin but rough to the skin. Toiletries are provided though. There is no safe in the room. Free wifi is a plus, so too is the complimentary coffee/tea-making facilities. This is a non-smoking hotel (something which I appreciate) with a 24hours - small gym (which I, unfortunately, had no time to check it out). Adequate selection at the buffet breakfast. Too bad we were so upset with the lost baggage that we had no appetite to eat anything.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

It was very unfortunate that your luggage was lost during your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I can understand your frustration by losing your luggage.

However, I was pleased to hear from my housekeeping manager that your luggage was found the next day. Although you already left the hotel and traveled to Germany our Assistant Housekeeping Manager offered to personally drive to Germany so he can deliver your luggage in your next hotel.

Again my sincerest apologies for losing your luggage!

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

Recently we have introduced the boot trip to the city centre. The boat leaves every day at 10:00 and will dock at the Anne Frank house. A nice way to start your day in Amsterdam.

Our rooms are very well equipped. Varying from a flat screen tv, coffee and tea making facilities to a safe in our room. The safe of the room can be found in the closet.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I was really impressed with the size and quality of the room. I was a single traveler and I had a nicely appointed room with a double bed. The layout of the room is nice with a sliding door between the bathroom and closet, a large shower and a nice vanity and sink. The decor is also very modern. I didn't get to experience much of the hotel as far as amenities go, but from what I could tell there was a very nice breakfast area (but an expensive one, about 23 Euro a day). All the staff I encountered was very friendly as well. The only recommendation I have is to include the free coffee maker in the lobby to work past 9 AM.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Lisburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Although the hotel is a good distance out of the centre and in a business district it is easy to get into the centre. There si trams 5-7 minutes away but we found the Metro quicker and easier. It was only about 7 minute walk to the Metro station OverAmstel and 10 minutes into the Amsterdam Central. The hotel puta on a canal boat into the central Amsterdam each day at 10am for €5 per adult and €2.50 per child. Cheaper to go by Metro but easier if you are going to the Anne Frank House, as it stops near there. We enjoyed the hotel and breakfast was great, excellent choice and tasty. Rooms were fine, nothing special but warm and comfortable (we were there in December). Any issues we had were very minor but solved very quickly and with a helpful attitude. I thought it was good value with easy access to the centre of Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

Next to that I was pleased to read that the room was up to your expectations.

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

With the kindest regards,

Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed at this property in early October and after a few mishaps with the room key having to be reprogrammed three times we finally made it to the room. The rooms were big and relatively clean (altough a spring clean wouldn't go astray) it had all the facilities you needed.

The staff were somewhat "hit or miss" - sometimes they were friendly but other times they weren't. Didn't really bother us as we only stayed one night.

Overall location and room facilities good and I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!