“Okay hotel with some flaws” 4 of 5 stars

You added Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City to your Saves list
Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Joan Muyskenweg 10, 1096 CJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #108 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“Okay hotel with some flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Have been here i 4 nights and had a pleasant stay. The hotel is nice situated just out side the busy city center but the tram and the metro is just nearby. The cleaning is not the best I we seen. There has been leftovers from breakfast on the trays in the hallway out side the room all day. The staff was informed about it but did not do anything about it. The water won't go out of the sink but again that don't seem to matter to the staff.
The breakfast buffet is fantastic though and all in all I've had a great stay in this fantastic city but there is something that could be better.

• Stayed November 2013
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

Recently we have introduced the boot trip to the city centre. The boat leaves every day at 10:00 and will dock at the Anne Frank house. A nice way to start your day in Amsterdam.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Exceptionally fast and service-minded staff in the reception and hotel but, strangely enough,unbelievably slow kitchen service on most occasions during a longer stay. Fresh and well planned rooms, free wifi throughout the premises. Relatively close to the airport with taxi.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is important for us in order to improve our services towards our guest. It was unfortunate to read that your stay was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for that.

I will address your comments about the quality of food to our Operations Manager in order to prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns and we will do our utmost best to prevent future occurrence. I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

Polmont, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We booked this hotel in alpha rooms for a great price.
The hotel itself is just outside the centre and easily accessible via the metro lines. We used gem daily and if you are in Amsterdam for 3 days or more, you would be better getting a 3 day pass, it works out a lot cheaper.
We were staying on the 11th floor overlooking the canal that the hotel is situated beside.
We were bed and breakfast and the breakfast was great. There were plenty of options to choose from including a cooked breakfast and cereals, fresh juices and pastries.
Our room was large and bright. We had a lovely bathroom area too.
The staff were very friendly and helpful,at all times.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

just back from a long weekend. Hotel is well located near to plenty of bars and restaurants. The hotel was very clean and staff were great. The hotel room was fairly small and the bathoom was also small(no bath). Our room was situated next to the lift so there was noise during the morning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir / Madam,

Regarding the room, if the room is not up to your expectations please contact our quality manager who is available 24/7 and he or she will do their utmost best to give you a suitable solution. I would have hoped I had the opportunity to provide you with another room.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

had another 4 nights in this lovely hotel, once again very clean and tidy, staff really friendly and helpful. even moving us to a room with a bath tub on request. Breakfast beautiful with so much choice in very smart room. staff in the breakfast area very helpful with area information etc. always friendly and seems to remember us well. little bit expensive in the bar but to be expected. keep up the good work see you again soon hopefully.
if you are staying here walk over the large bridge to the no. 25 tram stop to central station. kennedy line. a 24 hour ticket will cost just over 7 euros. you can then go anywhere in the city backwards and forwards to the hotel very cheaply. such an efficient service up until midnight.everyday.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor room with a view to the city for a great look at night, curtains open lights of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir / Madam,

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My first time in Amsterdam after many years and the hotel prices in the city are not for the faint hearted. I booked this hotel many months in advance for a three night stay (pre-paid), the check-in was excellent and extremely friendly. The hotel has two buildings as such with different lifts taking you to a certain part of the hotel (they are not linked). My building was the one with the lift past the reception area (the other lift is adjacent to the entrance). Good room, privilege non-smoking. Size was not the greatest but this is Amsterdam and I have seen smaller. Well decorated, clean, free WiFi, decent sized bathroom, it did the job for three nights. I never took breakfast or had meals at this hotel, I did use the bar which was fine and normal hotel prices.

The Metro is about 10 minute walk away, it's two Metros to Amsterdam Central (the change is seamless, you walk across from one side of the platform to the other). Else there is a 10 minute walk the other way over the bridge to take the tram 25, which takes about 25-30 minutes to Amsterdam Central. For the night owls, there is also a night bus from the city which stops next to the Metro station (however confusingly the bus stop is not called by the name of the Metro stop). The immediate location was a business area, nothing to see, but did not bother me in the slightest.

I would return to the hotel in the future when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam city from 01/11/13 till 03/11/13. I forgot my coat in the room while checking out. I called the hotel the next day and asked them how could I retrieve it. They told me there was nothing left behind in the room. I told them I could give the exact location of where I left my coat, but they said there was no coat left behind and that I might have lost it somewhere else. I explained this was not the case and told them where it was.

Furthermore, when we arrived there there were two single beds in the room although we requested a double bed and had booked the room in advance.

I am specially upset that they denied that my coat was left behind. There is one word for that: "stealing".

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our housekeeping department looked everywhere for your coat but was unable to find it. Please accept my sincerest apologies for that as I can understand your frustrations.

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!